• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2024-5

Seville123

• Sep 1, 2019
    Hello everyone,

I completed an assessment centre for a direct training contract with an international firm at the start of September. Graduate recruitment mentioned they would get back to us within 1-2 weeks, but I haven’t heard anything yet. I followed up with an email last week, but there’s still been no response.

I’m not sure what to do next, as I would like some feedback on my interview performance. I assume graduate recruitment is very busy at this time of year, but should I continue waiting? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello everyone,

I completed an assessment centre for a direct training contract with an international firm at the start of September. Graduate recruitment mentioned they would get back to us within 1-2 weeks, but I haven’t heard anything yet. I followed up with an email last week, but there’s still been no response.

I’m not sure what to do next, as I would like some feedback on my interview performance. I assume graduate recruitment is very busy at this time of year, but should I continue waiting? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Wait at least 5 working days from your latest email, and then follow up again via a call if you haven’t heard back.

Reactions: Seville123

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 7, 2024
    Hi @Maddy and @User5678

Based on a quick google search, it seems Deloitte will be opening its training contract applications on 30th September. The date can be found here. I'll get back to you both as soon as I find some reliable information on PwC's legal training contract/vacation scheme opportunities. Good luck!

Hi @Maddy and @User5678

I wanted to send across the PwC training contract application. Here is the link, though it's worth noting that one needs to complete a vacation scheme with them in order to be considered for the training contract. Hope this helps and good luck!

Andrei Radu

Esteemed Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 9, 2024
    Do law firms call you, rather than email, to offer you a TC?
    I think the general policy is to first call and then follow up with an email - almost everyone I know who got a TC was first called by someone from the firm. However, some firms (especially the ones offering a high number of TCs) can also just email if they are particularly busy.

Reactions: Jaysen and Kodak123

Andrei Radu

Esteemed Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 9, 2024
    I'm currently on a year abroad and want to make the most of an extra year of the recruitment cycle, however I won't be able to do any vacation schemes this year as my year abroad is in Australia and I can't just pop back to London to do it (my bank account definitely would not allow that) so I was thinking of applying for some direct TCs. I haven't done a vac scheme before, so do you guys think I stand a chance at all with the direct TC apps? Would firms hold it against me if I were to go for a direct TC this year, get rejected, and then try for the vac scheme next year when I'm back in the UK? Sorry if it's a stupid question, I just don't want to waste this extra year, especially as so many people around me had great success in the last cycle and I only had one AC. @Jessica Booker
    Firstly, regarding your inability to apply for vac schemes this year: there are some firms which will cover travel costs for you, including flights. Two firms I can think of on the spot who are willing to do this are Slaughter and May and Paul, Weiss. As such, supposing there is no conflict with your term dates/other reasons why traveling is not possible for you, you could apply for vacation schemes at these firms. Something to take note of here is that not all law firms who cover travel costs advertise this policy, so it may be worth it to ask directly by sending some emails/LinkedIn messages to recruiters at the firms you are interested in.

For the second issue (your chances of securing a direct TC), I agree with @NMA's points. As long as you write a high number of high-quality applications and you know how to leverage your current experiences, you will have good enough chances to be worth applying.

For the third issue (about reapplying): different firms have different policies here. Some actively encourage reapplying, while others directly ask you not to reapply if you have not substantially improved your candidate profile. In general, there are more firms that will not mind reapplying than firms that will - especially if you first got rejected for the more competitive opportunity (the direct TC). Besides looking for any announced firm policy in FAQs, you can also try to infer whether a firm is likely to care about the fact that you got rejected once by seeing if they directly ask about this on the application form. If they ask whether you have applied in the past and at what stage you got rejected, it is more likely that they use that question to filter some applicants.

Reactions: whywhy88

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.