• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2024-5

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Can firms give out less TC offers than spaces they have available in a given cycle, or will they endeavour to fill all spots?
They can give out fewer places than advertised, especially given the time lag to recruitment. Generally firms can top up recruitment in the following cycle if needed.

Firms can also go slightly over hiring numbers too though.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Sharon Wu

johnnn821

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2021
Hey guys, does anyone else have also trouble accessing Bird & Bird's Direct TC application? When I click on apply it redirects me to their allhires website, but every deadline has passed. Their website said the vacancy opened in 19th Sept, but I havent been able to find the application.

Kodak123

Esteemed Member
Jan 17, 2023
They can give out fewer places than advertised, especially given the time lag to recruitment. Generally firms can top up recruitment in the following cycle if needed.

Firms can also go slightly over hiring numbers too though.
When would this usually happen. Say for example a firm only offers 12 training contracts, if the quality of applicants was really high would they offer more?

Zi48

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2022
Hey guys, does anyone else have also trouble accessing Bird & Bird's Direct TC application? When I click on apply it redirects me to their allhires website, but every deadline has passed. Their website said the vacancy opened in 19th Sept, but I havent been able to find the application.
They didn’t update the TC page, only the VS and general early careers pages, but here’s the link:

• 🤝
Reactions: johnnn821

Andrei Radu

Esteemed Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
When would this usually happen. Say for example a firm only offers 12 training contracts, if the quality of applicants was really high would they offer more?
@Jessica Booker will definitely be able to tell you a lot more about this, but just to offer some of my thoughts beforehand:

Yes, this can sometimes happen, although not very often in absence of other contributing factors. At all the four firms I did a vacation scheme this year, the firm's lawyers and recruiters kept praising the vacation schemers as being the most talented they had seen. All of them said the quality of the candidates was significantly higher than in other years and that the decision-making process was therefore very difficult. However, assuming these statements were not all hyperbole or just meant as encouragement, this would show that firms don't generally up their TC numbers simply because of the quality of the candidates - as far as I know, none of the four firms ended up recruiting more than initially advertised.

However, I heard stories of this happening in the past. I think what is needed is either (a) exceptionally high quality candidates, which partners simply like so much that the firm can't let go of them; or (b) a quality of candidates higher than normally expected, in conjunction with some other favorable circumstances, such as:
  • New changes in firm's growth strategy, which lead to an expectation of an increased need of trainees/NQs
  • Incoming/current trainees reneging on their contracts or leaving the firm
  • Lower than expected number of TCs signed in the past recruitment cycle
  • Changes in the factors influencing the legal market which cause an expectation of a significant increase in demand for the firm's core practice areas

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yes - it could be that they found excellent candidates or just that business demand means they can increase the number of trainees hired. Finding excellent candidates does not mean they will increase numbers though - it just happens on occasion.

Last edited:
  • ℹ️
Reactions: Kodak123 and Sharon Wu

leaaa2023

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jun 27, 2023
I’m incredibly excited to share that I’ve received an offer for a training contract with a top 10 global corporate law firm!

Looking back, it feels surreal—especially after facing hundreds of rejections and setbacks. Coming from a family of farm workers with little formal education, and being the first in my family to attend university, I’ve learned how essential it is to persevere through adversity.

What I’ve come to understand is that rejection and failure are often the stepping stones toward success.

I also know that I wouldn’t have achieved this without the support of TCLA. @Jaysen ’s practice case studies, written exercises, and the bootcamp were invaluable in helping me excel during my AC. @Shahana ’s patience during my nervous mock interview made all the difference, and @Jessica Booker was always available to share insights on how to stand out.

I’m truly grateful to everyone who has been part of this journey. For those still pushing through the process, keep aiming high—you never know how far you’ll go.

The applications, the studying—it can get lonely, but remember what it’s all for and that it will pay off.

Amma Usman

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
I’m incredibly excited to share that I’ve received an offer for a training contract with a top 10 global corporate law firm!

Looking back, it feels surreal—especially after facing hundreds of rejections and setbacks. Coming from a family of farm workers with little formal education, and being the first in my family to attend university, I’ve learned how essential it is to persevere through adversity.

What I’ve come to understand is that rejection and failure are often the stepping stones toward success.

I also know that I wouldn’t have achieved this without the support of TCLA. @Jaysen ’s practice case studies, written exercises, and the bootcamp were invaluable in helping me excel during my AC. @Shahana ’s patience during my nervous mock interview made all the difference, and @Jessica Booker was always available to share insights on how to stand out.

I’m truly grateful to everyone who has been part of this journey. For those still pushing through the process, keep aiming high—you never know how far you’ll go.

The applications, the studying—it can get lonely, but remember what it’s all for and that it will pay off.
Congratulations @leaaa2023 …!!!!! This is wonderful news. We are so pleased to hear this. This is a culmination of all your hard work and we hope you celebrate well! 😁

Share Discover GIF

Reactions: Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Amazing news, congratulations and well done!!

Schitts Creek Reaction GIF by CBC

Hello forum, I have a question re pre-employment screening. On my application, I mistakenly inputted an incorrect GCSE grade (I put it as an A rather than B for Religious Studies) as I was doing it from memory. I now have a statement of results from my secondary school. Furthermore, having looked at my application, I can't seem to locate my A-level grades, only my AS-levels. I always, always include my A-level grades so am unsure if it is a glitch or I overlooked it whilst completing my application. In any case, I'm certain that apps will not let you progress unless you've included A-levels so it is a bit bizarre. The firm does not have any minimum A-level requirements and I have nothing to conceal as I have mitigating circumstances. Should I reach out to graduate recruitment before screening takes place? I am worried about potential repercussions although I was not purposely dishonest in my application.

Last edited:

VMS

Esteemed Member
Oct 16, 2023
Hello forum, I have a question re pre-employment screening. On my application, I mistakenly inputted an incorrect GCSE grade (I put it as an A rather than B for Religious Studies) as I was doing it from memory. I now have a statement of results from my secondary school. Furthermore, having looked at my application, I can't seem to locate my A-level grades, only my AS-levels. I always, always include my A-level grades so am unsure if it is a glitch or I overlooked it whilst completing my application. In any case, I'm certain that apps will not let you progress unless you've included A-levels so it is a bit bizarre. The firm does not have any minimum A-level requirements and I have nothing to conceal as I have mitigating circumstances. Should I reach out to graduate recruitment before screening takes place? I am worried about potential repercussions although I was not purposely dishonest in my application.

I would if I were you. I reached out after I mistakenly put I'd worked more than 16hrs a week during my A-Levels rather than fewer, and GR were fine about it and just had me add a note stating the mistake and what the answer was supposed to be.

Sharon Wu

Valued Member
Oct 27, 2023
Has anyone heard anything from Stephenson Harwood? I applied in May...
They are a top Ghosting firm. They made my list.

bangarangbass39

Legendary Member
Sep 13, 2023
Just received an update from AG.

“We have filled our training contract spaces through recruitment earlier this year so unfortunately we will not be proceeding with an assessment centre.

However, given the strength of your application we wanted to give you the opportunity to transfer your application to our placement scheme vacancy and progress you to the critical thinking test stage.”

Meh. Could be worse.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.