• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2024-5

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I’m just freaking out tbh because I really thought I pulled my finger out my arse this cycle and brought my A game- and since not hearing back I’m worried about being rejected.

Especially since they said they’d get back to us by the 20th which is tommorow
When firms say they will come back to you by a deadline, it usually means they will get back to you on the deadline. I expect you will hear back today.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just curious, does anyone know why Bird & Bird are recruiting for Sept 2025 and Sept 2026 direct TCs this cycle? Is this something they typically do, i.e. recruit for earlier start dates?
It maybe that they are increasing TC numbers, or have had people drop out of these intakes (reneging offers, people not passing the SQE).

Sometimes these earlier opportunities pop up and I think they are a great way for those who can start their TC earlier to potentially get an offer. I wouldn’t say it happens a lot, but every now and then a handful of firms will recruit earlier intakes and actively recruit for them.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Sharon Wu and lawyerdreams

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey guys, does anyone know what the ratio of vac scheme to direct TC intakes is for Gibson Dunn? Also, is there any available database that gives this sort of breakdown for firms?
With roughly 22 vac scheme places and 8 TCs a year, I would expect the vast majority of TCs to be filled by the vacation scheme students.

Reactions: Victor87

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, on the Kennedys application it asks whether you have completed their virtual work experience programme - does this have an effect on your application, if you haven't?
I don’t think it will have a deciding factor on whether your application will be successful or not. If you have no evidence of engaging with the firm through other means, then consider completing the programme. However, if you have networked with the firm through other events or activities, I don’t think you have to complete the virtual programme.

Reactions: 👩🎓

👩🎓

Star Member
Premium Member
Oct 31, 2023
I don’t think it will have a deciding factor on whether your application will be successful or not. If you have no evidence of engaging with the firm through other means, then consider completing the programme. However, if you have networked with the firm through other events or activities, I don’t think you have to complete the virtual programme.
Thank you Jessica!

Hi forum - I recently secured and accepted a TC from a mid-sized City firm following their vac scheme. However, I want to continue applying to larger firms through the direct TC route. I have checked my TC offer and it does not appear to prohibit me from applying (I will double check though!). My question is, if I were to apply to other firms I would want to publicise that I have completed a vac scheme at the firm that offered me a TC, but what if I am asked why I did not get a TC during an interview? Would it be acceptable to say that I had been offered a TC but wanted to apply elsewhere?

Reactions: Marissa

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.