• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2024-5

mat123

Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 20, 2024
How do people pick themselves up for a rejected TC especially being an internal candidate?
This happened to me and I did find it difficult. I'm sure you put a lot of work into both your job and your application so I know it can feel like a kick in the stomach! I would take some time to focus on something other than the thought of a TC, like a holiday etc - its can be a lot to go through mentally so some time for yourself can really help.

Once you've had a bit of a break, I would write down all the great things you achieved as an internal candidate to remind yourself that you are a fantastic candidate, and be specific - firms that you apply for in future will see this and it will boost your application. Make a few notes on the feedback you received and how you can work on it - I would recommend speaking to your supervisor to get their thoughts too. I would also start to pull together a list of firms that you can aim to apply for this year to give yourself a new focus, especially as its almost the start of the new cycle so its a perfect time for a fresh start.

Also - are you able to re-apply to the firm you are currently at? If you have the option but you don't feel like it right now, I would take some time to consider and speak to your supervisor, because in re-applying in the next cycle you can apply what you learnt from this time round and have a stronger chance.

It can feel like a punch to the gut being rejected as an internal candidate but remember its not personal and so often comes down to a numbers game - if you're already working for them then you are definitely worthy of getting a TC with a great firm wherever that may be.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Been a little over three weeks since my final stage interview. At least one person has been rejected. Should I email to ask when I can expect an update?
I think it’s reasonable to ask them when you might hear back given the period of time you have already been waiting.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know what Watson-Glaser score firms are typically looking for?
Typically somewhere between the 25th and 75th percentile.

The scores are deceptive. They are not percentages, they are percentiles. This means you are ranked against hundreds of other people who have taken the test and ranked 1-99 (with one being lowest).

What you don’t know is what you are being ranked against - you could do one test and be ranked in the 20th percentile of assessed against one group and 80th percentile is ranked against another. For instance, the first group could be partners from the law firm you have applied to, while the second group could be a group of people only educated to the age of 16. It’s the same test, same answers, but different way the test is assessed/scored.

Similarly for things like Watson Glaser, certain types of question might be weighed more heavily than others and that can vary between firms.

It’s difficult to do so, but ultimately try not to think of these tests as standardised assessments, as they are not. You can try to improve your confidence and scores in these tests, but just because you passed or failed one for one firm does not mean the same outcome would happen with the next firm, even if you answered exactly the same questions in exactly the same way.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.