• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoonToBeTrainee

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 29, 2023
    Did Weil even open for direct TC this year or not?
    In previous years, they really took the “up to X trainees per year” to heart, which meant there were mostly always less trainees than X. This often left spaces for direct TC applications. But typically, the firm would be very selective. I very much get the impression that the firm preferred/prefers to take like one person from the summer direct applications who had already passed the GDL/LPC (now SQE) and was / (is) ready to start in that same September intake.

This year, I’m guessing they’re focusing on growing, and particularly within a broader range of practices. So, they’ve taken on whatever they consider to be the full amount of trainees for 2026 + made some deferred offers for the 2027 intake. I remember seeing some recent offers for 2024 even—so this vacation scheme cycle has been huge for the firm!

Last edited:

Szofi66

Esteemed Member
    Oct 22, 2023
    In previous years, they really took the “up to X trainees per year” to heart, which meant there were mostly always less trainees than X. This often left spaces for direct TC applications. But typically, the firm would be very selective. I very much get the impression that the firm preferred/prefers to take like one person from the summer direct applications who had already passed the GDL/LPC (now SQE) and was / (is) ready to start in that same September intake.

This year, I’m guessing they’re focusing on growing, and particularly within a broader range of practices. So, they’ve taken on whatever they consider to be the full amount of trainees for 2026 + made some deferred offers for the 2027 intake. I remember seeing some recent offers for 2024 even—so this vacation scheme cycle has been huge for the firm!
    I see, thank you for the info.:)

Izzy1026

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 23, 2023
    Can someone explain to me what the Paul Hastings TC timeline would mean to a non-law student? Given that the interviews take place in September this year for a September 2026 start, does that mean if one gets the offer they will need to start the GDL/PGDL asap? My understanding is that the process from conversion to starting the TC takes two years?

D

Deleted member 9747

Can someone explain to me what the Paul Hastings TC timeline would mean to a non-law student? Given that the interviews take place in September this year for a September 2026 start, does that mean if one gets the offer they will need to start the GDL/PGDL asap? My understanding is that the process from conversion to starting the TC takes two years?
    are you sure interviews take place in september? They must have changed it to give themselves 2 months to review apps..

BonanzaBih_

Legendary Member
    Jan 17, 2023
    Does anyone know can international students participate Winter vacation scheme? Or we can only apply for spring /summer?
    If you’re still in education and you’re on a student visa and the term dates clash with any winter vac schemes you can’t apply due to working restrictions. If not, go for it! (In my experience most of them do coincide)

Reactions: Jessica Booker
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.