• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know can international students participate Winter vacation scheme? Or we can only apply for spring /summer?
It will depend on your university term time and when the schemes run. Many international students find winter schemes difficult as their term time runs to just before Christmas but the schemes run in either November or early December.

jmak

Star Member
May 12, 2024
Does anyone know can international students participate Winter vacation scheme? Or we can only apply for spring /summer?
On my winter vacation scheme which was two weeks there was an international student that was only allowed to work a certain number of hours in the first week, because it was during term time. In the second week, she worked full time. She received the TC. So the answer is yes, but it depends on the firm and if they can offer this arrangement for you.

Reactions: BonanzaBih_

desperateTCseeker1998

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2023
Can someone explain to me what the Paul Hastings TC timeline would mean to a non-law student? Given that the interviews take place in September this year for a September 2026 start, does that mean if one gets the offer they will need to start the GDL/PGDL asap? My understanding is that the process from conversion to starting the TC takes two yea
That’s actually such a good point! Maybe they’re one of the firms who are getting non-law students to do the 6 week crash course instead of the full GDL or you’d start in the January intake? I don’t think it’s a silly question to email them about

Izzy1026

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 23, 2023
    That’s actually such a good point! Maybe they’re one of the firms who are getting non-law students to do the 6 week crash course instead of the full GDL or you’d start in the January intake? I don’t think it’s a silly question to email them about
    Thank you for the info! Yes I have emailed them to ask and will keep you all posted x

• Love
    Reactions: Iwantatcpls

Solking456

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 14, 2022
    In the Dentons VI invite email, it says:

‘The deadline to complete the assessment is 23.59 seven days after this email has been sent to you. For example, if you received this email on Monday 22nd July, your deadline would be 23.59 on Friday 26th July.’

Does anyone know if we have one week or 5 days as am unsure from the message?

Thank you

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    In the Dentons VI invite email, it says:

‘The deadline to complete the assessment is 23.59 seven days after this email has been sent to you. For example, if you received this email on Monday 22nd July, your deadline would be 23.59 on Friday 26th July.’

Does anyone know if we have one week or 5 days as am unsure from the message?

Thank you
    That is confusing as its unclear whether the mistake is the "seven" or one of the two dates. If you wanted to play it safe though, you'd go with five days from the date of your email.

However, I would contact them to ask. I am sure they will probably send more comms out if lots of people are asking and may also update their template email if someone notifies them of the inconsistency.

Reactions: Solking456

CP2000

Star Member
    Mar 4, 2024
    Hello @Jessica Booker
    I recently returned from a travel break and I managed to get a TC offer this cycle. I am now looking for paralegal roles and have two interviews coming up. My question is - do I need to disclose that I will be starting my TC in 2026? Would it put them off knowing that realistically I can only paralegal for 1-2 years?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker
    I recently returned from a travel break and I managed to get a TC offer this cycle. I am now looking for paralegal roles and have two interviews coming up. My question is - do I need to disclose that I will be starting my TC in 2026? Would it put them off knowing that realistically I can only paralegal for 1-2 years?
    You don’t have to disclose this unless asked, but be mindful they may ask about your longer term career aspirations and so you may wander into this subject through such interview questions.

It’s not an issue if the role is a fixed term contract - it might prove more problematic if they are trying to hire a permanent member of staff, especially if you are starting the SQE next September.

AS24

Distinguished Member
    Apr 16, 2024
    I underestimated how hard the switch to law was. Does anyone have a list of good but smaller (less competitive perhaps) commercial firms in London, that I could leverage to move to bigger law firms?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.