• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

A worried graduate

Legendary Member
Mar 25, 2024
Maybe I'm just overthinking the entire application process because I've been looking at forms for months, but:
I do find some of these application stages a bit strange.

Like, how is a firm choosing who to interview based on a few 200-word application questions lol.

Especially when some of those questions are rather generic and ask about what skills a good solicitor has. Surely we're all saying similar things within reason anyway.

I can get behind pre-recorded interviews, and somewhat understand WG and SJ tests (as much as I despise them).
But, a few questions with a limited word count, and then straight to an interview?!? I can't get my head around it.

I think I just wish some firms were a bit more transparent with their shortlisting + what type of person / criteria they actually want.
It’s often the cv/experiences too

Reactions: SoonToBeTrainee

Lawstudentlookingforjob

Standard Member
Premium Member
Dec 5, 2023
Is anyone here an international student who took a graduate visa to apply for TC/VS? Weighing between this and self-funding the SQE, but the term times for the SQE prep course does not allow me to do vac schemes. Also would appreciate your thoughts on whether taking a year off to apply might be viewed negatively by Grad Recs @Jessica Booker.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is anyone here an international student who took a graduate visa to apply for TC/VS? Weighing between this and self-funding the SQE, but the term times for the SQE prep course does not allow me to do vac schemes. Also would appreciate your thoughts on whether taking a year off to apply might be viewed negatively by Grad Recs @Jessica Booker.
Do you mean the post study visa? If so, it is very common for international candidates to stay in the U.K. on this visa and work/study whilst still pursuing a TC. It would not be an issue for most firms who sponsor visas and may only be an issue for firms who look for people to do their TC on this visa.

Lawstudentlookingforjob

Standard Member
Premium Member
Dec 5, 2023
Do you mean the post study visa? If so, it is very common for international candidates to stay in the U.K. on this visa and work/study whilst still pursuing a TC. It would not be an issue for most firms who sponsor visas and may only be an issue for firms who look for people to do their TC on this visa.
Thanks for the reply! @Jessica Booker Yes, this is the 2 year visa after graduating this summer. I have a decent amount of legal and non-legal experiences (but not vac schemes), but was afraid that a gap year of not studying/working would be viewed negatively by Grad Recs. I am also unsure if paralegal/graduate law opportunities are feasible without the SQE. Do you think it is necessary to fill in the year instead with the SQE prep course, and apply directly to TCs since I have the requisite experiences anyways? The prep course also sponsors a T4 visa, so I won't need to use it to study.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for the reply! @Jessica Booker Yes, this is the 2 year visa after graduating this summer. I have a decent amount of legal and non-legal experiences (but not vac schemes), but was afraid that a gap year of not studying/working would be viewed negatively by Grad Recs. I am also unsure if paralegal/graduate law opportunities are feasible without the SQE. Do you think it is necessary to fill in the year instead with the SQE prep course, and apply directly to TCs since I have the requisite experiences anyways? The prep course also sponsors a T4 visa, so I won't need to use it to study.
If you didn’t do anything in that year, it would be a bit of a red flag but as long as you are doing some form of work or self-development in that year (even if it is something like travelling), that is fine.

It doesn’t have to be an SQE prep course, but that could also be something to consider doing in the year if you don’t have any other plans.

Jmk

Feb 3, 2021
If you can, I would take a year off. I worked for a year but couldnt do vac schemes because of my contract and conflict and I didn't have time to apply because my job was intense. So I made a risky decision and quit in September last year, took the year off (worked part time for a few months), got two vac schemes and through to several ACs this application season. I did a winter vac scheme started working part time as a paralegal in March until June then did a summer vac scheme. This way I dont have huge gaps in my cv. Part time jobs are helpful because you can focus half of your time on apps/networking/ACs but also not be idle in terms of your CV

Lawstudentlookingforjob

Standard Member
Premium Member
Dec 5, 2023
If you didn’t do anything in that year, it would be a bit of a red flag but as long as you are doing some form of work or self-development in that year (even if it is something like travelling), that is fine.

It doesn’t have to be an SQE prep course, but that could also be something to consider doing in the year if you don’t have any other plans.
That makes sense, thanks a lot jessica!

Lawstudentlookingforjob

Standard Member
Premium Member
Dec 5, 2023
If you can, I would take a year off. I worked for a year but couldnt do vac schemes because of my contract and conflict and I didn't have time to apply because my job was intense. So I made a risky decision and quit in September last year, took the year off (worked part time for a few months), got two vac schemes and through to several ACs this application season. I did a winter vac scheme started working part time as a paralegal in March until June then did a summer vac scheme. This way I dont have huge gaps in my cv. Part time jobs are helpful because you can focus half of your time on apps/networking/ACs but also not be idle in terms of your CV
If you don't mind me asking, what part time jobs did you secure and how did you get the paralegal position? I am also leaning towards paralegal work as I have previous commercial law experience, but was wondering what the market is like for grads.

jmak

Star Member
May 12, 2024
If you don't mind me asking, what part time jobs did you secure and how did you get the paralegal position? I am also leaning towards paralegal work as I have previous commercial law experience, but was wondering what the market is like for grads.
The paralegal market is super competitive. Where I worked was not at a huge/known firm. It was a very small law firm and I found it through a post advertised on LinkedIn. I think any part time job is useful to just have something to do half of the week while focusing on apps the other half. Paralegal roles for most national and international firms are just as competitive as TC's now if not more. I submitted my CV to so many paralegal roles on LinkedIn and emailed recruiters but I never got an interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.