• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmak

Star Member
May 12, 2024
banking job market is absolutely cooked, all the europeans have cornered the whole market. I would not even bother with banking unless you can make a VERY competitive application.

Where should I go then?
If you want to work in a global city, expect competition from Europeans and other international applicants for the best jobs. This is the same in New York, Hong Kong, Singapore, Dubai, Geneva etc. Competition shouldn't stop you from applying. If you want a job in London generally you have to have a competitive application! Rejection is part of the process. Apply and good luck !

A worried graduate

Legendary Member
Mar 25, 2024
If you want to work in a global city, expect competition from Europeans and other international applicants for the best jobs. This is the same in New York, Hong Kong, Singapore, Dubai, Geneva etc. Competition shouldn't stop you from applying. If you want a job in London generally you have to have a competitive application! Rejection is part of the process. Apply and good luck !
I’ve not really got the right a levels or uni reputation to stand a chance.

I’m fine with working in a small city too

jmak

Star Member
May 12, 2024
I’ve not really got the right a levels or uni reputation to stand a chance.

I’m fine with working in a small city too
London is definitely not for everyone and knowing what you want can save you a lot of time and stress. But, if you want to work in London it's possible - getting experience in a small city can be a great start before moving to London. Many law firms don't look at A level grades now and there are many trainees from non russell group universities at good law firms in London. BIUCAC is a great starting point for non russell group applicants looking at law. But the market is tough in London so you have to really want it and persevere through the process. I've seen many applicants at great law firms and in banking from non russell group uni's. I came from a russell group uni and my vac schemes at US and SC firm had non russell group students who were very impressive

daniyalmmirza

Oct 9, 2023
Freshfields PFO. I don’t know what to do now. I have put in a lot of effort applying to Freshfields each cycle for the last couple of years. I have tweaked my application every time, gained new experiences in the time since i first applied two cycles ago. However, I have been rejected every time. I have had an external service review one of my apps (not this one) and helped me to understand how to sell myself better in my app but still no change. I don’t understand where I am going wrong.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Freshfields PFO. I don’t know what to do now. I have put in a lot of effort applying to Freshfields each cycle for the last couple of years. I have tweaked my application every time, gained new experiences in the time since i first applied two cycles ago. However, I have been rejected every time. I have had an external service review one of my apps (not this one) and helped me to understand how to sell myself better in my app but still no change. I don’t understand where I am going wrong.
From my experience, Freshfields have a slightly different approach to reviewing applications. Yes, they are looking for similar characteristics as other firms but they really want to get a sense of who you are and your individuality that I feel other firms don't necessarily value or assess in the same way.

There was typically more of an "is this an interesting candidate" concept when reviewing forms anyway.

If their approach to reviewing applications is the same, it may also be an element of the psychometric testing too though.

• ℹ️
Reactions: daniyalmmirza and AlexJ

SoonToBeTrainee

Star Member
  • Dec 29, 2023
    I got a PFO from Freshfields. It's super annoying too because I spent so much time on the application. I thought I stood a chance (more than any other firm because of the high intake), so I spent about 2 weeks on the application. I edited my work experience, and thought I drafted a researched and tailored statement that demonstrated my personality. I fully treated it like I did my uni dissertation lol. Now I just feel a bit silly and think I've wasted my time.

It doesn't give me much hope either. I think this next cycle will technically be my 4th year of applying to vac schemes and 5th year overall (including applying to open days and first-year schemes). It's so difficult knowing this is the career I want, but not being able to get anywhere with it.

daniyalmmirza

Oct 9, 2023
    From my experience, Freshfields have a slightly different approach to reviewing applications. Yes, they are looking for similar characteristics as other firms but they really want to get a sense of who you are and your individuality that I feel other firms don't necessarily value or assess in the same way.

There was typically more of an "is this an interesting candidate" concept when reviewing forms anyway.

If their approach to reviewing applications is the same, it may also be an element of the psychometric testing too though.
    I understand. I have changed the way I write my application to better show my competencies and strengths. Maybe its just a case of Freshfields and I not being the right fit I guess.

Reactions: sunshine101
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.