• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

LillyandSilver

Legendary Member
Oct 18, 2023
Newbie here with two quick qs -

1. Whilst I am an incoming final year law student, I have zero legal work experience (e.g., vac schemes). Am I correct in understanding that I should exclusively be applying for VSs and that no firm would think me an appropriate candidate for direct TCs?

2. If I secure a winter vac scheme for firm A, is it worth me applying (after securing the VS) for firm B's TC?

Thank you. Whilst I'm pretty aware of the recruitment processes etc. I am still struggling to wrap my head around the various cycles and timeframes of qualification etc.
I was in a similar position to you going into my final year. During my third year, I applied for non-assessed vacation schemes and work experience, which are often a little less competitive and have a shorter application process. I guess you could do the same with assessed vacation schemes. I then on the back of the work experience applied to two direct training contracts (I made sure I chose firms which didn't do a vacation scheme) and it was pretty successful for a first cycle. Even just writing that I had upcoming work experience was enough to get an assessment day.

Reactions: ashwright

Iwantatcpls

Jan 10, 2022
Freshfields PFO...

To the remaining 6, please please please please please (I can't handle another app cycle 😪)
Sad Please Please Please GIF by myHQ

RonRod13

Esteemed Member
  • Nov 18, 2023
    How do you answer "what skills contribute to the success of a solicitor?" Do you also link this to yourself and talk about times that youve demonstrated those skills? Theres already a section asking me "Why should we offer you a Training Contract?" So i dont want to be repeating myself.

A worried graduate

Legendary Member
    Mar 25, 2024
    London is definitely not for everyone and knowing what you want can save you a lot of time and stress. But, if you want to work in London it's possible - getting experience in a small city can be a great start before moving to London. Many law firms don't look at A level grades now and there are many trainees from non russell group universities at good law firms in London. BIUCAC is a great starting point for non russell group applicants looking at law. But the market is tough in London so you have to really want it and persevere through the process. I've seen many applicants at great law firms and in banking from non russell group uni's. I came from a russell group uni and my vac schemes at US and SC firm had non russell group students who were very impressive
    I was actually referring to banking rather than law for that context

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Very confused by the Walker Morris question "What connections do you have to the Area"?? What area?
    They will mean the geographical area you are applying to. I am assuming you can apply to different office locations, and so they are probably trying to understand what is connecting you to that location specifically.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.