• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

A worried graduate

Legendary Member
Mar 25, 2024
Banking is quite open to law grads - I know two people (both law graduates) who switched to investment/corporate banking after doing vac schemes and not converting to a TC. The work is similar (and probably more interesting) as are the salaries.
Do they take on people from smaller universities and without any special qualifications for the industry?

EzeLaylor

Distinguished Member
  • Oct 15, 2021
    Do you have more info on this?

Sure!

I asked a friend and here’s her advice:

I think the easiest way to transition is through grad schemes (1-2 year programmes). Banks like Lloyds, HSBC, Barclays etc all have graduate programmes open to all degrees.

If you check banking recruitment pages, you should find quite a few stream option (capital markets, private clients, IB, commercial banking etc).

I would also sign up to the mailing list so you’re notified when the scheme apps start and apply early as possible. She applied for a grad programme in May and was through the whole process by early June.

happy to help anyone out with more info - just PM me

Last edited:
    Reactions: BonanzaBih_

SoonToBeTrainee

Star Member
  • Dec 29, 2023
    How do you know this? I can't find it ANYWHERE on their website
    I wouldn’t worry too much about it being rolling basis. I went to an open day with HL last year and grad rec said they recommend submitting apps about a week before the deadline.
    I got the impression they only gave that recommendation for our sake too, ensuring we don’t face any technical difficulties etc.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.