• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What grades do you need for W&C? I have done most of the application form but I only managed to scrape a low 2:1 this year. Is it still worth sending it in?
If you have done most of the application form, why not just apply anyway? You’ve out most of the effort in, I think it is at least worthwhile submitting it - you have nothing to lose by doing so.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Shoosmiths training contract offer!

Honestly the strangest feeling getting the offer. It’s all you think about and then you get offered it and for whatever reason it is the biggest surprise.

Absolutely delighted. But this is only the start.
Amazing news! Congratulations and incredibly well done.

Margot Robbie Clapping GIF by The Academy Awards

Reactions: Law_Between_Life

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello everyone and @Jessica Booker , I am attending Tees Law's (a regional firm) TC assessment centre on Thursday. There is a group exercise. The only info I have about it is that it is an interactive group role play which lasts 30 mins (in groups of 10). The assessment criteria is based on my interaction and decision-making as part of a group (teamplay). There is no further information on it, however.

As this is my first assessment centre, could I get some advice on how to better prepare for this? What will this group exercise typically entail?
I don’t you think can prepare for it as such. Group exercises are designed in a way that candidates shouldn’t be able to prepare and it is more about reacting to the situation you are presented with and adapting to the dynamics of the group.

Just go in with a willingness to collaborate with everyone else (don’t dominate proceedings), and try to be flexible/adaptable in your thinking and approach. Make sure you get your ideas forward, get consensus for those ideas from your group, and be supportive (where appropriate) of good ideas of other people.

General group exercise advice:
  • Try not to be someone completely different to who you are
  • Contribute
  • There are lots of roles and responsibilities to take on - it doesn't matter what you do but find a way to contribute beyong adding your ideas
  • Have an opinion
  • Support each other
  • Keep an eye on the time
  • Try to come to a conclusion/judgement/outcomes

Reactions: Jaysen

arthurr

Standard Member
  • Feb 7, 2024
    I don’t you think can prepare for it as such. Group exercises are designed in a way that candidates shouldn’t be able to prepare and it is more about reacting to the situation you are presented with and adapting to the dynamics of the group.

Just go in with a willingness to collaborate with everyone else (don’t dominate proceedings), and try to be flexible/adaptable in your thinking and approach. Make sure you get your ideas forward, get consensus for those ideas from your group, and be supportive (where appropriate) of good ideas of other people.

General group exercise advice:
    • Try not to be someone completely different to who you are
    • Contribute
    • There are lots of roles and responsibilities to take on - it doesn't matter what you do but find a way to contribute beyong adding your ideas
    • Have an opinion
    • Support each other
    • Keep an eye on the time
    • Try to come to a conclusion/judgement/outcomes
    Thank you! @Jessica Booker . One further question - I am also going to do a presentation I prepared in advance and cue cards will be accepted. I wonder do you think it's okay if I just take maybe 1-2 pieces of paper with me to the presentation instead of using cue cards? How do law firms / grad rec feel about using pieces of paper in a presentation?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you! @Jessica Booker . One further question - I am also going to do a presentation I prepared in advance and cue cards will be accepted. I wonder do you think it's okay if I just take maybe 1-2 pieces of paper with me to the presentation instead of using cue cards? How do law firms / grad rec feel about using pieces of paper in a presentation?
    It isn’t really about the method of notes, it’s more about making sure they are pointers rather than a heavily scripted set of notes that will come across more like a rehearsed speech rather than a natural conversation. If every have told you that you can have cue cards, you’ll be able to have paper of some format (or even notes on a device). It’s more about how heavily you have to rely on them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.