TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonRod13

Esteemed Member
Nov 18, 2023
Not cool, nor helpful. Not many people can afford to just "quit their job" nor fund an entire masters program - its just not possible. A more productive suggestion would be to keep persevering - it only takes one yes! Maybe take a break from apps before the next cycle starts, and if VSs aren't possible, many firms so have TC routes they regularly recruit from (or even exclusively recruit from, like Fried Frank, Kennedys, Bristows)!
So your “productive” suggestion is to just keep doing what the user is already doing? Trying the exact same thing, using the exact same approach and then expecting different results is literally the definition of insanity…

Attachments

• IMG_8182.jpeg
    IMG_8182.jpeg
    36.6 KB · Views: 12

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
So your “productive” suggestion is to just keep doing what the user is already doing? Trying the exact same thing, using the exact same approach and then expecting different results is literally the definition of insanity…
I’d stress that good candidates who try again are not just trying with the same set of skills/knowledge. Good candidates are ensuring they are focused on their self development and working out what to do to improve themself and their chances, and then making sure they accomplish that.

That isn’t insanity (because you are not doing the same thing over and over, you are changing), that is perseverance, a much needed skill if you want to be a lawyer.

We know so many candidates who have taken more than 4 cycles to get where they wanted to. Their perseverance paid off, and so it can do with others too.

RonRod13

Esteemed Member
Nov 18, 2023
I’d stress that good candidates who try again are not just trying with the same set of skills/knowledge. Good candidates are ensuring they are focused on their self development and working out what to do to improve themself and their chances, and then making sure they accomplish that.

That isn’t insanity (because you are not doing the same thing over and over, you are changing), that is perseverance, a much needed skill if you want to be a lawyer.

We know so many candidates who have taken more than 4 cycles to get where they wanted to. Their perseverance paid off, and so it can do with others too.
I don’t agree with this. It’s not as black and white as just needing “perseverance” and you will get your desired results. Yes this is an important skill but you need to know when to adopt this attribute. In this case, perseverance is just inefficient and a waste of the users resources and time.

The user is getting interviews for vac schemes, they just can’t do them due to work. They also can’t do vac schemes because of their work commitments and they are subsequently getting exhausted. It seems pretty clear what the common denominator is.

So, as much as self development and improvement is important, it’s going to be virtually useless unless the user changes their current environment.

So that’s why I think taking a break from work for maybe 6 - 12 months to really focus on applications and take part in vacation schemes might be more beneficial. Or taking on a less demanding job for the short term, going back into education etc.

Ultimately it will come down to the user knowing themselves and knowing their strengths and weaknesses and whether this is a valid trade off to make.

A worried graduate

Legendary Member
Mar 25, 2024
Wouldn’t it just make more sense to maybe find a job that can allow him to make money but doesn’t stop him from taking a vac scheme or at least lets him have a rest

Reactions: RonRod13

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I don’t agree with this. It’s not as black and white as just needing “perseverance” and you will get your desired results. Yes this is an important skill but you need to know when to adopt this attribute. In this case, perseverance is just inefficient and a waste of the users resources and time.

The user is getting interviews for vac schemes, they just can’t do them due to work. They also can’t do vac schemes because of their work commitments and they are subsequently getting exhausted. It seems pretty clear what the common denominator is.

So, as much as self development and improvement is important, it’s going to be virtually useless unless the user changes their current environment.

So that’s why I think taking a break from work for maybe 6 - 12 months to really focus on applications and take part in vacation schemes might be more beneficial. Or taking on a less demanding job for the short term, going back into education etc.

Ultimately it will come down to the user knowing themselves and knowing their strengths and weaknesses and whether this is a valid trade off to make.
As someone else has mentioned, just leaving a job isn't necessarily the answer though. That could bring more pressures, particularly financial.

The common denominator you have actually identified is applying to the wrong type of vacancy. There is little point applying to something you can't actually do. Instead, applying for direct TCs would be the far better option if that is the case. If the person is getting interviews, then they are more likely to continue to secure these for the right opportunities they are applying to.

Plus there are a load of other solutions rather than just quitting a job. The individual could ask for flexible working hours or a short period of unpaid leave to help with the time commitment. A 6-12 month break is excessive and isn't without risks - they could look more "flighty" if they are chopping and changing what they do. Taking a block of time across a small number of weeks or changing their working hours to get one afternoon off per week could give the necessary amount of time to focus on what they need to do.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is it considered to be negative to submit an application few days before a rolling application? I am planning to submit my application tomorrow for Hogan Lovells.
Its not a negative, but at the same time you don't necessarily need to rush it. Applying in the first two-thirds of an application window is usually more than sufficient to be ahead of other applicants.

If your application is ready then go for it though - being prepared so early is never a negative!

bangarangbass39

Legendary Member
Sep 13, 2023
Is there much difference between a paralegal and a legal assistant? I imagine there most definitely is a difference, so I want to be clear on the role I am applying for.

My local council has a vacancy for a Legal assistant in Childcare. I feel it would be great experience whilst I wait to apply for TC/VS. I do have a reservation on whether I can make a strong application.

It says "Essential Criteria = CILEx LLB Hons Law or Level 3 qualified (or working towards CILEx level 3) or a similar qualification, or relevant experience in Law./Desirable Criteria = Further academic qualification e.g. Law degree."

For context, I am a History MA grad. I have about 4 weeks' worth of legal experience and insight, along with other work experience such as researching, tutoring, and mentoring. I'm aware it will be a matter of "apply and find out" but I thought it would be good to ask if there is a way to make myself stand out despite my obvious setback (lack of a legal degree).

Reactions: gazdgazd11

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is there much difference between a paralegal and a legal assistant? I imagine there most definitely is a difference, so I want to be clear on the role I am applying for.

My local council has a vacancy for a Legal assistant in Childcare. I feel it would be great experience whilst I wait to apply for TC/VS. I do have a reservation on whether I can make a strong application.

It says "Essential Criteria = CILEx LLB Hons Law or Level 3 qualified (or working towards CILEx level 3) or a similar qualification, or relevant experience in Law./Desirable Criteria = Further academic qualification e.g. Law degree."

For context, I am a History MA grad. I have about 4 weeks' worth of legal experience and insight, along with other work experience such as researching, tutoring, and mentoring. I'm aware it will be a matter of "apply and find out" but I thought it would be good to ask if there is a way to make myself stand out despite my obvious setback (lack of a legal degree).
There is not necessarily a difference - it can just be the job title that firms like to use, but they are often interchangable.

What area is your legal work experience in? If that aligns with the topics this role would cover or if its in a similar public sector organisation, it might be worth a punt.

bangarangbass39

Legendary Member
Sep 13, 2023
There is not necessarily a difference - it can just be the job title that firms like to use, but they are often interchangable.

What area is your legal work experience in? If that aligns with the topics this role would cover or if its in a similar public sector organisation, it might be worth a punt.
I’ve only have a little experience with the GLP which I completed a couple weeks ago. Most of the legal experience I have has been in Commercial Law. The work did involve quite a bit of communication with HMRC, SFO, CMA, and other gov bodies. Completely different to Childcare.

The person specification does not outline a want for someone with exposure to childcare or local government. They only want an “awareness of the services provided by local government “ and the legal requirements I have mentioned. I’m just worried I’m being slightly over ambitious with my legal experience. However, the legal experience they are seeking has not been specified enough.

Zaidoz10

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2022
Hi @Jessica Booker i applied to Trowers last cycle but my application wasn’t successful due to them filling all their spots from their vac schemes. As the reason for my rejection wasn’t the quality of my application, do you think it would be fine to leave my answers to the app questions as they are? I made it past the app stage for their summer vac scheme two cycles ago, so i feel like my app is relatively strong. I’ve added new work experience as I’ve taken on a new legal role however. Will this be sufficient or should I go back and change my answers as well? Thank you! Also just to clarify I’m applying to the direct TC.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker i applied to Trowers last cycle but my application wasn’t successful due to them filling all their spots from their vac schemes. As the reason for my rejection wasn’t the quality of my application, do you think it would be fine to leave my answers to the app questions as they are? I made it past the app stage for their summer vac scheme two cycles ago, so i feel like my app is relatively strong. I’ve added new work experience as I’ve taken on a new legal role however. Will this be sufficient or should I go back and change my answers as well? Thank you! Also just to clarify I’m applying to the direct TC.
No matter what the circumstances, I would always try to update and refine the application do it is the most up to date reflection of your candidacy now rather than back then. It is not that everything needs to change, but always try to update other sections of your application form outside of your work experience where relevant. You need to show how you have been pursuing the career and trying to keep your knowledge as relevant/up to date as possible.

daniyalmmirza

Oct 9, 2023
I am about to enter my 4th application cycle, with none of my applications making it past the application stage. I have completed a BA degree from Canada with a poor GPA and a 2.1 in my Senior Status LLB from a non-RG uni here in London. I have tried to get some work experience over the last couple years, I'm currently working as an intern remotely for a commercial law firm in my home country. I have been applying for paralegal/legal assistant jobs here in the UK for the last year with no luck.

I have worked on my application writing and improving it every year, even paying for a service to look over it and give me advice. As I enter the new cycle I feel like I still can't break through. I don't know what I can do more to help myself in my applications. I feel like if I had made it to any ACs I would have more hope. If anyone has any advice for me I would appreciate it.

• 🤝
Reactions: SoonToBeTrainee
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.