• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonanzaBih_

Legendary Member
Jan 17, 2023
I have what may be a silly question but I would appreciate any answers regardless. most of the training contracts i applied for start in 2026 and if i am suucessful it is still going to be 2 years before i begin. provided my results for the SQE2 in august are a pass, i will start looking for other legal roles such as paralegaling up and until i can begin any successful tc. if i am able to get my 24 months of QWE before my tc, would I be 'qualified' before by tc starts of the phrase NQE only applies to those who've completed their tc? Not sure if this makes sense haha

Reactions: A worried graduate

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have what may be a silly question but I would appreciate any answers regardless. most of the training contracts i applied for start in 2026 and if i am suucessful it is still going to be 2 years before i begin. provided my results for the SQE2 in august are a pass, i will start looking for other legal roles such as paralegaling up and until i can begin any successful tc. if i am able to get my 24 months of QWE before my tc, would I be 'qualified' before by tc starts of the phrase NQE only applies to those who've completed their tc? Not sure if this makes sense haha
Only if you submit your qualifying work experience to the SRA and decide the go through the process of qualifying with the SRA. If you were going to do a TC anyway, I’d personally suggest waiting for that for your QWE and going through the process of joining the solicitors’ roll at the end of your TC.

LillyandSilver

Legendary Member
Oct 18, 2023
@Jessica Booker I was meant to have a meeting with someone from the early careers office but they never showed up. How should I phrase a follow up email? They did let me know when the meeting was booked that they were in the middle of a very busy time so I'm not surprised or mad about it but all my current drafts sound very passive-aggressive. 😭

LillyandSilver

Legendary Member
Oct 18, 2023
BCLP rejection, fed up at this point. That application was 2000 words long.

At the point where I might give up. I work 8-6 everyday and spend every other hour doing applications or tests. I’m exhausted, burnt out and depressed. I can’t take annual leave in case I need it for interviews but I’m not getting any. I wish I’d known earlier in uni how early you had to apply because it’s impossible to balance with work with applications and they’re so many years in advance that it’s pointless going through more cycles. I got interviews for vac schemes but I can’t do them because of work, direct TCs seem to be impossible to get in through.
I'm really sorry that you are facing this. Re direct routes, I've found that going after firms which don't do a vacation scheme works far better, doing this I've had several final interviews and assessment centres even with informal work experience and unassessed vacation schemes.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

RonRod13

Esteemed Member
  • Nov 18, 2023
    BCLP rejection, fed up at this point. That application was 2000 words long.

At the point where I might give up. I work 8-6 everyday and spend every other hour doing applications or tests. I’m exhausted, burnt out and depressed. I can’t take annual leave in case I need it for interviews but I’m not getting any. I wish I’d known earlier in uni how early you had to apply because it’s impossible to balance with work with applications and they’re so many years in advance that it’s pointless going through more cycles. I got interviews for vac schemes but I can’t do them because of work, direct TCs seem to be impossible to get in through.
    Bro just quit your job or do a masters or something?

• Dislike
    Reactions: leaaa2023

lawyerdreams

Jul 25, 2024
    Bro just quit your job or do a masters or something?
    Not cool, nor helpful. Not many people can afford to just "quit their job" nor fund an entire masters program - its just not possible. A more productive suggestion would be to keep persevering - it only takes one yes! Maybe take a break from apps before the next cycle starts, and if VSs aren't possible, many firms so have TC routes they regularly recruit from (or even exclusively recruit from, like Fried Frank, Kennedys, Bristows)!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.