TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Amma Usman

Valued Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Just invited to Mishcon Race Open day. However, my application has been transferred to the online event instead of the In person one. Is there a reason why this happens? Was my application not strong enough for the In-person Open Day?
Hey @bangarangbass39 , congratulations on getting the open day! I believe it was more of an issue on capacity, rather than your application not being strong enough. Both the virtual and in-person open days would likely cover the same information, so make the most of it! It was likely a situation of early allocation, where those that submitted very early were able to get a spot in-person. If anything, I think it’s that they thought your application was good enough to lead to the virtual transfer, regardless of the availability of in-person spots.

Amma Usman

Valued Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
HSF winter vac scheme PFO
Hey @asplawyer100. I’m sorry to hear about the PFO. Rejections are tough. But please remember to take a breather and keep going! Whenever I had gotten a PFO, I had a dessert ritual. I’ll go get ice cream and waffles from my favorite spot across town. It helped me cultivate a long term growth mindset into making those applications possible. You got this!

Amma Usman

Valued Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
HSF IRIS Open Day Invite !! 🎉🎉
Huge congratulations on the Open Day @sammm10101 . This is amazing. I hope you have a fantastic time!
West Ham Hug GIF by Olympique de Marseille

bangarangbass39

Legendary Member
Sep 13, 2023
Hey @bangarangbass39 , congratulations on getting the open day! I believe it was more of an issue on capacity, rather than your application not being strong enough. Both the virtual and in-person open days would likely cover the same information, so make the most of it! It was likely a situation of early allocation, where those that submitted very early were able to get a spot in-person. If anything, I think it’s that they thought your application was good enough to lead to the virtual transfer, regardless of the availability of in-person spots.
Thank you, Amma. I appreciate you clarifying this. I applied on the 4th, scheme was open to applications on the 1st. So I don't even know. But as you said, the info is the same so I'll make the most of it.

• Love
Reactions: Amma Usman

jojo23

Sep 15, 2024
Hey @jojo23 , this is not an issue in itself and it wouldn’t significantly impact your application. However, if you feel the need to amend it you should email graduate recruitment with more details on the omission.
Thank you, both of you (@VMS ). I have noticed on the application portal that you do have the option to submit extra info (wc). The only thing that's worrying me is that I submitted the application on the 6th so a fair amount of time has passed although, I'm not sure if it makes a difference (I wouldn't say it's an important grade).

Amma Usman

Valued Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Thank you, both of you (@VMS ). I have noticed on the application portal that you do have the option to submit extra info (wc). The only thing that's worrying me is that I submitted the application on the 6th so a fair amount of time has passed although, I'm not sure if it makes a difference (I wouldn't say it's an important grade).
Hey @jojo23 , you could make the comment on the extra information section of the application, then email graduate recruitment with an update on the change. I presume it’s nothing to worry about as the time lag between when you submitted the application and now is only four days. @Jessica Booker will have more thoughts on this.

BonanzaBih_

Legendary Member
Jan 17, 2023
If I am applying to a firm that has a strong IP practice would it be worth mentioning that I took it as a module even though it was my worst one of the year (2.2). I am interested in IP but I don't know how it would come across seeing as I didn't do too well in the module at uni?

I have also done work experience in an IP department so should I just focus on that?

MayaM0921

Premium Member
Jan 17, 2023
I have received an invite to AC with NRF. They've asked for my A-level certificates before the assessment day, but I received them in 2016, and cannot locate them.

In terms of next steps, should I just explain that I can contact the exam boards but will need more time to receive the certificates while sending over my uni transcripts?
Hi, do you mind if I ask when you completed your VI?

Amma Usman

Valued Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
If I am applying to a firm that has a strong IP practice would it be worth mentioning that I took it as a module even though it was my worst one of the year (2.2). I am interested in IP but I don't know how it would come across seeing as I didn't do too well in the module at uni?

I have also done work experience in an IP department so should I just focus on that?
Hi @BonanzaBih_ . Studying the module is definitely worth mentioning, along with your IP work experience to show demonstrated interest. The 2:2 could matter depending on the firm’s policy and whether they focus on each module individually or just your overall grade. However, taking the IP module still reinforces your interest and knowledge in the field.

Reactions: BonanzaBih_

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.