• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

VMS

Distinguished Member
Oct 16, 2023
Does anyone know if its particularly advantageous to apply for Gibson Dunn's Open Day before the Vac Scheme? Are they like Latham where it's very important to them? The Open Day isn't until December and their apps opened on 1st Sept on a rolling basis, so I don't want to disadvantage myself.

dr579

Jun 2, 2024
Is it advised to avoid discussing the same work experiences in the online application form and a Cover Letter? I'm applying to White & Case and they ask specifically about "Please give details of any interests and extra-curricular activities, including any positions of responsibility or achievements". Can I still mention 1-2 positions of responsibility in my 'Why you' section of the separate Cover Letter?

BonanzaBih_

Legendary Member
Jan 17, 2023
Hello, I applied to the Taylor Wessing open day for October 21st and haven’t heard back, however I logged into the website and instead of saying “find out more” it said the event was full but I had the option to reserve a spot. Does this mean I was accepted?
im in the same position as you, it let me reserve a spot but idk if this means I was accepted or not

• 🤝
Reactions: Applebanana425 and Bread

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 4, 2021
@WillkieGemma has mentioned in another post that they will be reviewing applications after the deadline, so I suspect this is just a holding email to update you so you know not to worry if you haven’t heard back within 15 days.

Hi @Adithi, please don't hesitate to contact me directly if you have any queries. It is a holding email - I will review all applications after the deadline.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Unknowncabbage

Standard Member
May 18, 2024
At DLA Piper, we believe great business can make a better world. We believe in being bold, driven, compassionate, and collaborative. We are keen to hear what inspired your application. Why are you interested in starting a legal career at DLA Piper?

Hi Guys, Is this question basically just asking 'why DLA Piper' or is it wanting us to answer why law & why DLA?

Many thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is it advised to avoid discussing the same work experiences in the online application form and a Cover Letter? I'm applying to White & Case and they ask specifically about "Please give details of any interests and extra-curricular activities, including any positions of responsibility or achievements". Can I still mention 1-2 positions of responsibility in my 'Why you' section of the separate Cover Letter?
You can reference the positions of responsibility but you will need to frame it differently - I wouldn’t repeat details included elsewhere, but you could use the experiences to claim skills or motivations instead of detailing responsibilities

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
At DLA Piper, we believe great business can make a better world. We believe in being bold, driven, compassionate, and collaborative. We are keen to hear what inspired your application. Why are you interested in starting a legal career at DLA Piper?

Hi Guys, Is this question basically just asking 'why DLA Piper' or is it wanting us to answer why law & why DLA?

Many thanks!
To me this is why commercial law and why DLA Piper.

Reactions: Unknowncabbage

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
I am writing my NRF application. The first question asks why are you interested in commercial law and why NRF. As the 2nd question asks about which sector has the most potential for growth in 12 months. Wanted to ask if I focus on the energy Sector growth for Q2 will it be okay to talk about the firm's project finance work in Q1 or will that be repetition. Any advice will be appreciated @Ram Sabaratnam @Amma Usman @Kay Aston

Hiya @nliro85

This is a great question! I remember feeling the same way when applying to firms with a strong sectoral focus. I often wondered if there was too much overlap when I mentioned a firm’s sectoral strengths (like energy) as a reason for wanting to join, and then subsequently talking about that same sector in another question. That said, it’s definitely possible to discuss both energy and project finance without sounding repetitive.

To avoid repetition, it's worth asking yourself a few questions. If you're genuinely interested in NRF’s project finance work, are there other industries where their project finance practice stands out to you? Perhaps you could highlight their work in areas like infrastructure, telecommunications, or public-private partnerships? Focussing on these areas will also allow you to showcase a broader understanding of the firm's project finance.

If you’d rather not focus on project finance when discussing developments in the energy sector, consider exploring other aspects of NRF’s energy-related work. For instance:
  • Regulatory and Policy Changes: Are there any recent or upcoming policy changes in the energy sector you find interesting? How might NRF help clients navigate these? You could highlight any standout advisory work the firm has done in this space, particularly around helping clients adapt to regulatory shifts.
  • Technological Innovations: Are there any technological developments that you have recently learned about? Perhaps something in renewable energy, smart grids, or energy storage? If so, how is NRF positioned to advise clients on these innovations? You could even look at such developments in the energy sector from an M&A or intellectual property perspective.
  • Geopolitical and Economic Trends: If you want to discuss the energy sector without focussing too much on project finance, you can also consider factors like commodity prices, supply chain issues, or geopolitical tensions. Again, when discussing these shifts, it's useful to think about whether NRF has any previous experience assisting clients in navigating these sorts of changes.
These are just a few ideas to help you think about the wide range of topics you could cover when discussing the energy sector. By focusing on these broader aspects, I think you can avoid any overlap with your answer on project finance. Ultimately, the most important thing is to write about areas you're genuinely interested in. My questions above are just to help you brainstorm the various angles you could take.

Hope this helps, and best of luck with your application!

• Love
Reactions: nliro85

billyonthespeeddial

Jan 21, 2023
I have just started my Jones Day application, and it feels like the firm really values interactions that candidates have had with the firm, e.g. has a separate question asking if I have completed their virtual work experience. I know completing any firm's virtual work experience is a plus, but I had never seen a separate Yes/No question for it before. Does anyone know if this is a borderline deal-breaker for Jones Day (even if not officially)?

nliro85

Distinguished Member
Jan 25, 2024
Hiya @nliro85

This is a great question! I remember feeling the same way when applying to firms with a strong sectoral focus. I often wondered if there was too much overlap when I mentioned a firm’s sectoral strengths (like energy) as a reason for wanting to join, and then subsequently talking about that same sector in another question. That said, it’s definitely possible to discuss both energy and project finance without sounding repetitive.

To avoid repetition, it's worth asking yourself a few questions. If you're genuinely interested in NRF’s project finance work, are there other industries where their project finance practice stands out to you? Perhaps you could highlight their work in areas like infrastructure, telecommunications, or public-private partnerships? Focussing on these areas will also allow you to showcase a broader understanding of the firm's project finance.

If you’d rather not focus on project finance when discussing developments in the energy sector, consider exploring other aspects of NRF’s energy-related work. For instance:
  • Regulatory and Policy Changes: Are there any recent or upcoming policy changes in the energy sector you find interesting? How might NRF help clients navigate these? You could highlight any standout advisory work the firm has done in this space, particularly around helping clients adapt to regulatory shifts.
  • Technological Innovations: Are there any technological developments that you have recently learned about? Perhaps something in renewable energy, smart grids, or energy storage? If so, how is NRF positioned to advise clients on these innovations? You could even look at such developments in the energy sector from an M&A or intellectual property perspective.
  • Geopolitical and Economic Trends: If you want to discuss the energy sector without focussing too much on project finance, you can also consider factors like commodity prices, supply chain issues, or geopolitical tensions. Again, when discussing these shifts, it's useful to think about whether NRF has any previous experience assisting clients in navigating these sorts of changes.
These are just a few ideas to help you think about the wide range of topics you could cover when discussing the energy sector. By focusing on these broader aspects, I think you can avoid any overlap with your answer on project finance. Ultimately, the most important thing is to write about areas you're genuinely interested in. My questions above are just to help you brainstorm the various angles you could take.

Hope this helps, and best of luck with your application!
This is really insightful and really helpful thank you very much for this. This is more than enough and appreciate this insight.

• 🤝
Reactions: Ram Sabaratnam

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.