• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

bollingdale

Sep 12, 2024
Does anyone have any clue on how to answer Dechert's really odd question of "Dechert is frequently retained to work on the most challenging matters, and prides itself on its ability to deliver premium legal services and sound business judgment to its clients. In your opinion, other than the above, what are the three key reasons why our clients instruct us?"

I literally cannot think of any other reason why a business would choose to employ a law firm for any other purpose other than providing legal services, but we cant mention that in our response? Does Dechert sell cookies and cakes to their clients on the side or something? Idk, i'm completely at sea, would appreciate any sort of direction.

This is an opportunity to research the firm, they are selling themselves to the client, so there must be something obvious on their webpage (designed for clients) that covers this

first cover what we know
  • Handling Challenging Matters
  • Premium Legal Services
  • Sound Business Judgment

ok so we can't mention these things, lets go to their landing page

1726256921238.png

Ok of these, innovation sticks out to me, the other two are less strong, because I don't think a client would particularly care about the company's diversity or probono work.

Let's see what else
1726257032046.png

Global stands out to me as a key-word here, so something about their international scope?
Now let's look at their 'about us' sort of page...

1726257324843.png Ok so this feeds into the global point

what else...the history is something they flag also, its been around since 1875

So you have a selection
Innovation and global reach seem obvious, then maybe something about its reputation/history...this is technically distinct from its ability in law...so you could talk about this if you frame it correctly.
Might be safer to go with its probono and dei stuff though...yeah on reflection you could talk about this and look for research that clients actually care about it

e.g https://www.troutman.com/insights/what-clients-are-saying-about-dei.html

"Our clients recognize the value in working with and employing diverse individuals. Dan Pulka, Chief Client Care Officer at Troutman Pepper, has seen this firsthand. “Diverse teams have diverse viewpoints, which often lead to better results,” Dan said. “This is one of the many reasons clients are asking for more diverse teams to work on their matters – it makes good business sense.”

"As a starting point, many clients look to see whether their outside counsel are meeting DEI-related benchmarks, including certain DEI rankings issued by third-party organizations"

So i'd go with

global reach
Innovation
and DEI

RonRod13

Esteemed Member
  • Nov 18, 2023
    This is an opportunity to research the firm, they are selling themselves to the client, so there must be something obvious on their webpage (designed for clients) that covers this

first cover what we know
    • Handling Challenging Matters
    • Premium Legal Services
    • Sound Business Judgment

ok so we can't mention these things, lets go to their landing page

View attachment 6245

Ok of these, innovation sticks out to me, the other two are less strong, because I don't think a client would particularly care about the company's diversity or probono work.

Let's see what else
    View attachment 6246

Global stands out to me as a key-word here, so something about their international scope?
    Now let's look at their 'about us' sort of page...

View attachment 6247 Ok so this feeds into the global point

what else...the history is something they flag also, its been around since 1875

So you have a selection
    Innovation and global reach seem obvious, then maybe something about its reputation/history...this is technically distinct from its ability in law...so you could talk about this if you frame it correctly.
    Might be safer to go with its probono and dei stuff though...yeah on reflection you could talk about this and look for research that clients actually care about it

e.g https://www.troutman.com/insights/what-clients-are-saying-about-dei.html

"Our clients recognize the value in working with and employing diverse individuals. Dan Pulka, Chief Client Care Officer at Troutman Pepper, has seen this firsthand. “Diverse teams have diverse viewpoints, which often lead to better results,” Dan said. “This is one of the many reasons clients are asking for more diverse teams to work on their matters – it makes good business sense.”

"As a starting point, many clients look to see whether their outside counsel are meeting DEI-related benchmarks, including certain DEI rankings issued by third-party organizations"

So i'd go with

global reach
    Innovation
    and DEI
    Thank you so much, really helpful. Great point about the DEI in particular. Had no idea clients care about that!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    omg mine did go in the junk never mind I got it but I dont think I can go because its going to be super expensive from manchester? Is anyone else from manchester?
    Think about travelling the day before and seeing if you can find a fairly affordable hotel in zones 3/4 (or even staying with friends if you have any in London) Travelling at peak times is ridiculous price wise, but off peak tends to be more affordable.

bollingdale

Sep 12, 2024
    Thank you so much, really helpful. Great point about the DEI in particular. Had no idea clients care about that!!
    These people spend a lot of money making sure their websites reflect them, my logic is go see what they want you to notice, act like a client, and dont assume something isn't worth mentioning, if its up there then there is probably a reason for it.

elektrajenkov

Star Member
    Dec 20, 2023
    To add onto the incredible points already made - we had to pitch to a client as a VS assessment and something we were asked about was how the firms DEI, sustainability, etc. aligns with the client's values (and so why the firm was a great fit beyond the legal ability), so definitely something being thought about more now! I also found it interesting that they consider how they pitch to a client sometimes too - all about fitting the client and their values and vibes beyond legal knowledge too :)

Reactions: Gg2001 and RonRod13

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    how much have people written for each work experience for A&O. I know they place a lot of emphasis on it, but the max word count is 600 per experience, with 15 experiences that would be 9000 words which is surely far too much?
    That is far too much. Some experiences may only need a few sentences (eg open days, short placements, basic roles with limited responsibilities), while others may need longer descriptions if they have been significant period of times or varied responsibilities.

I’d aim for a work experience section to be not much more than 3,000 words in total and for many people even less than that will be required.

member7830

Premium Member
    Dec 26, 2023
    That is far too much. Some experiences may only need a few sentences (eg open days, short placements, basic roles with limited responsibilities), while others may need longer descriptions if they have been significant period of times or varied responsibilities.

I’d aim for a work experience section to be not much more than 3,000 words in total and for many people even less than that will be required.
    with this, are we recommended to put all open day type experiences in separately or can they be listed in one experience?

sofffff123

Standard Member
    Jun 2, 2024
    this may be very obvious but could someone please tell me whether we are supposed to include our extra- curricular activities within the work experience section for A&O WVS application form? For example, if I wrote for my university paper should I include that as a separate work experience?

Also, for forage virtual work experiences, should I include them under the work experience section as separate work experiences?

Thank you!!

Tintin06

Legendary Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    HSF uses a psychometric test snd SJT for a *checks notes* Social Mobility Open Day. That doesn’t seem very socially mobile or open of them. It’s possible to get a VS and TC without passing these tests, and I’ve never got a VS that uses them. I’m ok with firms that don’t outsource their testing of candidates like that. Passed Latham SJT but didn’t get the VS. Am I just a moron?

sofffff123

Standard Member
    Jun 2, 2024
    this may be very obvious but could someone please tell me whether we are supposed to include our extra- curricular activities within the work experience section for A&O WVS application form? For example, if I wrote for my university paper should I include that as a separate work experience?

Also, for forage virtual work experiences, should I include them under the work experience section as separate work experiences?

Thank you!!
    sorry also on this, should we mention any events we have attended that the firm put on in the work experience section to include those that are less formal? So not so much open days but maybe the recruiter insight events, or is that straying too far from ‘work experience’

wqueens8

Jun 28, 2024
    sorry also on this, should we mention any events we have attended that the firm put on in the work experience section to include those that are less formal? So not so much open days but maybe the recruiter insight events, or is that straying too far from ‘work experience’
    in the recruiter insight event I was on (first one I think), they said you definitely can include it, but like Jessica said, probably best not to ramble on and write too much about it, just if you've not got more significant experiences.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    with this, are we recommended to put all open day type experiences in separately or can they be listed in one experience?
    I’d generally put them together, but even then I would not expect a heavy description of the open days (as most of the activities are fairly similar and also a lot of things where you are not actively inputting into tasks/exercises). Open day descriptions for me (even collectively) can be a few key points which you have really taken away from attending the event(s). You don’t have to say thing like you networked with trainees or attended panel Q&A sessions or presentations anyway unless you are framing it in a way that is saying what you gained from those sessions, and then it really needs to be tailored to your learning rather than what anyone could claim.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have a different view to some recruiters, but to me these should not be in work experience sections. You have no active input into them and so they can really downplay actual work experience if included. They can often be referenced elsewhere.

Open days are different where there tend to be interactive elements that require input from you. Plus an open day will have 30 people max on it. Some of the careers events have 100s or 1000s of people attending. They aren’t really unique enough for me to be included in work experience.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.