• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
yay! me too. Just wishing they had let us know sooner, tell me why the cheapest ticket to London for me is £140 😀. They'll cover 100 so it's not too bad, and I saved a bit over summer so I'm happy enough to spend the extra 40, but still.
I would check in with the firm to see whether they could cover the additional £40, especially given it is a social mobility event!

Reactions: l789

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker I was wondering if there are still discount codes for the 6-month gold subscription?
This is the best deal we have for Gold at the moment which is a six month package at £50 per month (instead of £60). Plus you get access to all our application bootcamp services which start next week. Deadline to sign up is Sunday.

If you don’t want to make the commitment to six months, you can use the links in my signature below for three month package and can still sign up to the bootcamp (at no additional cost) if there are spaces available.

adrk1234

Star Member
Feb 10, 2024
Has anyone got an idea on how to approach BCLP's VS quesiton of,
What is your understanding of how a business generates and maintains a profit? (Please provide examples)

Max 500 words

Seems like it can be appraoched in any number of ways. Are the examples they are wanting any businesses, or law firms specfically?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Taylor Wessing :) Thinking about S&M too
Slaughter and May is a page of A4 - so you are restricted to that rather than a word count. Typically it is around 600-700 words for a Slaughter and May cover letter.

If there is no page or word limit then typically around 750-950 words is okay. It’s more about ensuring the letter is focused and clear rather than trying to cram everything into it. It’s also important to not repeat details included elsewhere in the application, whether it be details in your CV or if there is also an application form that asks “why are you applying to us” for you to not repeat details in the cover letter (which then may result in a shorter cover letter).

bangarangbass39

Legendary Member
Sep 13, 2023
"Nature of the activity you have undertaken or achievement you have been awarded. If you are referring to an activity please remember to specify dates and the typical number of hours per week spent on this activity. (200 words max)"

This is for Mishcon De Reya's achievement and activity section. The application only allows for a max of 4 work experiences to be listed. I listed one legal internship, my bar work during uni, my current researcher role for an NGO and my volunteer work as an academic mentor. For this section can I mention other legal internships I completed? For achievements, all I can think of is a Full Master's Scholarship and Bursary I received for underrepresented/low-income students.
Could someone provide advice on this? It's the last section I have to complete before I send off!

saminoriya

Premium Member
  • Aug 11, 2024
    Hi guys. I have a kinda weird question, but I got invited to Reed Smith Open Day and HSF Open Day, which are on the same day. HSF starts at 10 am but finishes at 3.45 pm, whereas Reed Smith starts at 2 pm. Do you think it will be possible to leave HSF at 1.50 to get to Reed Smith or it would be a very bad thing to do? Would it be better just to choose one? However, which one is more useful you think?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys. I have a kinda weird question, but I got invited to Reed Smith Open Day and HSF Open Day, which are on the same day. HSF starts at 10 am but finishes at 3.45 pm, whereas Reed Smith starts at 2 pm. Do you think it will be possible to leave HSF at 1.50 to get to Reed Smith or it would be a very bad thing to do? Would it be better just to choose one? However, which one is more useful you think?
    You'd need more than 10 minutes to get between both firms - realistically I would leave 35 minutes as a minimum and even then that is pushing it (unless they are both virtual of course).

I think it would be better to choose one, but you could contact your second choice firm and see if you could either leave early/arrive late and if they say no, then make the choice.

Reactions: Kay Aston

RonRod13

Esteemed Member
  • Nov 18, 2023
    Does anyone have any clue on how to answer Dechert's really odd question of "Dechert is frequently retained to work on the most challenging matters, and prides itself on its ability to deliver premium legal services and sound business judgment to its clients. In your opinion, other than the above, what are the three key reasons why our clients instruct us?"

I literally cannot think of any other reason why a business would choose to employ a law firm for any other purpose other than providing legal services, but we cant mention that in our response? Does Dechert sell cookies and cakes to their clients on the side or something? Idk, i'm completely at sea, would appreciate any sort of direction.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.