• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

bollingdale

Sep 12, 2024
Thanks for this! Do you know if you are recorded during the assessments or just the VI sections? Want to know whether I’ll need to put on a smart top right at the beginning or not😂

Also, I did not realise there was a written excersize. Their website says: The assessment will include situational questions, verbal and numerical reasoning items, and two short motivation questions to complete via video. They mentioned it should take 45-60 minutes. If you don’t mind me asking how long would you say the assessment actually took/ how long did you spend on the written aspect :)
I think you are misunderstanding me, the written section im referring to is the experiences section. For the situational section, the sjt leads into the video questions, but you can leave and reopen at anytime before the deadline (at least thats what they told me). They record you throughout the sjt but I didn't dress in any particular way, they are just using that to monitor for cheating and weird behaviour.
I spent a lot of time on the experiences section, i was told this is a huge factor as they can only really use this section to get an idea of you as a whole person, your experiences, tell a story!

Reactions: zara elles

bollingdale

Sep 12, 2024
Was asked about checking for typos using ai

Be very careful, I used chatgpt, but you can't fully rely on it, for example it changed a company name I worked at from Sandersons to Sanderson. Also SPECIFY UK ENGLISH (assuming you are english) because it will look weird if there is irregular spelling conventions (eg honor at one point, and colour at another, or analyse vs analyze). The most effective way to check is to have ai read it back to you, on word there is a feature that does this. You pick up way more problems with flow, repetition, typos. Reading it, if you are an advanced reader, you tend to mentally take shortcuts
visionnew-041.png

(an example of this )
your brain will miss things if you just read it, you are already familiar with what you read and what you meant, make it unfamiliar to yourself (hence having it read back to you, or printing it out)

lawyersum

Star Member
Jun 28, 2024
"Nature of the activity you have undertaken or achievement you have been awarded. If you are referring to an activity please remember to specify dates and the typical number of hours per week spent on this activity. (200 words max)"

This is for Mishcon De Reya's achievement and activity section. The application only allows for a max of 4 work experiences to be listed. I listed one legal internship, my bar work during uni, my current researcher role for an NGO and my volunteer work as an academic mentor. For this section can I mention other legal internships I completed? For achievements, all I can think of is a Full Master's Scholarship and Bursary I received for underrepresented/low-income students.
Would love to have some insight on how to approach this question too! @Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I graduated LLB from non-russel group university. I got first class. Do you recommend I do a masters in russel group chance to have better chance or will it not make much difference?
Your first-class honours degree from a non-Russell Group university is sufficient. A masters at a Russell Group university should only be pursued if it is something you want to pursue for your own personal reasons rather than in the hope it will help your chances of securing a role.

rvvacscheme

Sep 10, 2024
This might be a silly question, but does anyone know if CMS offers a vac scheme for penultimate year law students in England? All I can see on their website are direct training contract applications and an insight scheme for non law and 2nd year Scottish law students. Not sure if I’m missing something!

l789

Star Member
Aug 19, 2020
HSF SOCIAL MOBILITY OPEN DAY INVITE- my first application for this cycle and it’s a success!

WOOHOO!

I’d like to give credit to @Jessica Booker for her advice on this thread, for which I would have not been successful had I not taken on board her feedback she has given generally on this forum.

Thank you Jessica!

I’m happy to share any tips and advice!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
HSF SOCIAL MOBILITY OPEN DAY INVITE- my first application for this cycle and it’s a success!

WOOHOO!

I’d like to give credit to @Jessica Booker for her advice on this thread, for which I would have not been successful had I not taken on board her feedback she has given generally on this forum.

Thank you Jessica!

Fantastic news and congratulations on securing the open day spot! Also delighted to hear I have been of some help (posts like this make my day!)

• Love
Reactions: Kay Aston and l789

wqueens8

Jun 28, 2024

WOOHOO!

Thank you Jessica!

yay! me too. Just wishing they had let us know sooner, tell me why the cheapest ticket to London for me is £140 😀. They'll cover 100 so it's not too bad, and I saved a bit over summer so I'm happy enough to spend the extra 40, but still.

• 🏆
Reactions: VMS and l789

Amma Usman

Star Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024

WOOHOO!

Thank you Jessica!

Huge well done on securing the HSF open day @l789! Enjoy it and the most of the open day! :)

• Love
Reactions: l789

wqueens8

Jun 28, 2024
This might be a silly question, but does anyone know if CMS offers a vac scheme for penultimate year law students in England? All I can see on their website are direct training contract applications and an insight scheme for non law and 2nd year Scottish law students. Not sure if I’m missing something!
they don't unfortunately, they used to, it was called CMS Academy, but they've stopped it for this year in favour of direct training contract applications, and as you've said the insight scheme for non-law.

Reactions: rvvacscheme

l789

Star Member
Aug 19, 2020
yay! me too. Just wishing they had let us know sooner, tell me why the cheapest ticket to London for me is £140 😀. They'll cover 100 so it's not too bad, and I saved a bit over summer so I'm happy enough to spend the extra 40, but still.
Superstar! Congratulations!

I’m so sorry about the train ticket situation. I am sure the extra 40 will be well worth it for the open day!

£140 is absolutely wild though. I understand everyone is in different economic situations. I hope you are able to get as much as you can from the open day, and also spend the afternoon enjoying London and the city :)

• Love
Reactions: Kay Aston

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.