• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

lawyersum

Star Member
Jun 28, 2024
If you were a Trainee Solicitor at Baker McKenzie, where would you want to go on secondment and why? (this may be client specific, country specific, or both) (300 words)

I am currently answering this question for BM's open day. I have chosen to write about a client secondment. I aim to briefly explain a commercial challenge/issue the client is likely to face and how my personal/professional experiences have motivated me to help the client navigate that challenge/issue. Is this approach good or am I not answering the question? Would appreciate anyone's insights

Last edited:

Andrei Radu

Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Hi everyone - BCLP are asking: 'What is your understanding of how a business generates and maintains a profit? (Please provide examples)'.

I am afraid I am approaching this too academically. It feels like an exam question lol, but I am trying to infuse it with examples which demonstrate commercial awareness; things like BCLP's merger in 2018 etc. But it still feels quite impersonal and I feel like I am doing it wrong. Please help!
Hi there! As @Jessica Booker mentioned, you have a lot of freedom in deciding how to approach this, and it doesn't need to be BCLP or law-firm specific. If anything, I'd advise you to avoid trying to shoehorn firm-specific/legal industry examples to more abstract points which could be better illustrated in another way.

As for other application answers, I don't think you need to aim to 'dazzle' the recruiters with very niche points. Rather, I would focus on having a very good structure, a concise style, and cogent and clear substantive points about how a business works. If a concrete suggestion is of any use, off the top of my head this is how I would go about answering this question:
  • Firstly, explain the concept of profit in simple terms, as earnings minus costs, and exemplify with sources of earnings and sources of costs most businesses have.
  • Having explained how generating profits essentially boils down to either increasing earnings, or reducing costs, or both, I would then describe in layman terms the general strategies a business can use to maximize earnings. Things I could mention include increasing market share (perhaps via geographic expansion, increased hiring, or M&A) to improve the total volume of business and therefore the margins of profit; or finding gaps in the market, where you can tap on existing demand no one else is servicing; or differentiate your business' brand via effective marketing etc. Whatever general strategy point I would choose to mention, I would the illustrate with the best example I could find of a company successfully doing this.
  • The second half of the answer would instead be focused on minimizing costs, where I could mention strategies like: creating economies of scale to increase the efficiency of supply and distribution chains and improve market bargaining power; structuring operations and transactions in a tax efficient manner; automating processes (especially now with generative AI), outsourcing, etc. Once again, I would seek to illustrate these strategies with the best examples of companies who have efficiently implemented them.

Reactions: Jaysen

nliro85

Distinguished Member
Jan 25, 2024
I think you have to identify the area for biggest growth across a sector group, so if your answer is going to focus on one aspect of their work, it will need to have quite a significant chance for growth (eg new market, new products, new regulation etc).
Thank you and yes this is a good approach to the question. Is it okay to focus on their work in a specific sector in another jurisdiction like their work in the Asia region where they have lots of clients and link it to why that benefits the firm as they do cross border work. I know I am applying for their London office.

nliro85

Distinguished Member
Jan 25, 2024
Really oddly phrased question but I think both. So my approach would be:

1. identify a sector where there is a current issue/trend(s) that will directly contribute to the sector growth AND SPECIFICALLY growth that the firm can capitalise on (by this second part, I mean that the growth needs to generate capital and work for the firm)
2. discuss the issue/trend(s) and the resultant sector impact - I would also acknowledge any counterpoints as to why there may not be growth then debunk them
3. discuss the opportunities this will generate for NRF (eg more work in a certain area, higher value deals, general influx of work across several areas etc)
4. [maybe] suggest specific strategies that the firm can employ to capitalize on this growth - I don't think this is strictly necessary so wouldn't include points on this just for the sake of it but if you have a good point to make then make it
This is a good structure and will take this approach really liked the bit about the issues never thought of discussing that.

Amma Usman

Star Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
For the Latham open day application the first question is 'What area of law are you interested in learning more about, and why?' Would it be okay to say employment law - is this something the firm has a focus on?
Hey @legal18, thanks for your question! Latham mentions that it is a full-service law firm, so I’m sure you could mention the employment law practice. I also attended a couple open days with them last year and can remember this practice being mentioned, among others too. Also be sure to solidify this with a strong reason as to why you are drawn to the employment practice. Additionally, I would also recommend explaining why the employment practice at Latham, specifically, appeals to you. This is because a lot of firms have great employment practices, so delving into the intricacies of Latham’s own work would be great. Here, you could touch on any deals or awards that are unique to the firm, explaining why it’s of relevance to you. From this, you could then touch on any personal work experiences or interests that drew you to employment law. This shows demonstrated interest and will help you draft a stand-out application.

@Andrei Radu had also made a post on this question, so have a look at it as well - I totally agree with everything he had mentioned as Latham is a more transactional-focused law firm.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: legal18

Amma Usman

Star Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Are Latham & Watkins recruiting on a rolling basis for their 2025 spring/summer vacation schemes?

Same question for Goodwin.
Hey @Lastseasonwonder. I have spoken with a Latham Campus Ambassador for this year and just found out that applications for their schemes are non-rolling, and will be viewed after the deadline of December 8th.

Reactions: Lastseasonwonder

Amma Usman

Star Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Hey guys,
I have a question. I have applied to a couple of winter vac schemes, but I am an international student and a lot of these run during term time (therefore, the 20-hour cap per week comes into play). Therefore, assuming I get an offer, do you think the firm would change the schemes to spring or summer if I asked?
Hello @unknownnn7372. I remember facing the issue of being unable to apply for winter vacation schemes as well - being an international student myself. I believe if you get an offer, firms ‘may’ be flexible in offering you a place on a spring or summer scheme. However, you will need to let them know on time. Again, this is me talking objectively as the flexibility to do this may differ between firms so I wouldn’t bet on that approach. I would recommend contacting your university to know your exact term dates. You should then aim for applying to schemes that fall outside term-time in spring or summer.

In summary, there is still the possibility for flexibility in switching from winter to spring/summer. The safest approach is just applying for spring/summer!

Hope this helps.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If you were a Trainee Solicitor at Baker McKenzie, where would you want to go on secondment and why? (this may be client specific, country specific, or both) (300 words)

I am currently answering this question for BM's open day. I have chosen to write about a client secondment. I aim to briefly explain a commercial challenge/issue the client is likely to face and how my personal/professional experiences have motivated me to help the client navigate that challenge/issue. Is this approach good or am I not answering the question? Would appreciate anyone's insights
It is a good idea to connect it back to your interest or experiences, but I don’t think you have to leverage one particular potential matter you could face. For many secondments, you tend to pick up quite a variety of work while working in house, and so seeming like you are very focused on one particular project or matter might come across as too niche.

Amma Usman

Star Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Hi everyone - BCLP are asking: 'What is your understanding of how a business generates and maintains a profit? (Please provide examples)'.

I am afraid I am approaching this too academically. It feels like an exam question lol, but I am trying to infuse it with examples which demonstrate commercial awareness; things like BCLP's merger in 2018 etc. But it still feels quite impersonal and I feel like I am doing it wrong. Please help!
Hey @Akimbo001. I had made a post on this earlier - hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions: Post in thread 'BCLP Vacation Scheme Application 2024'
https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....tion-scheme-application-2024.9055/post-182441

saminoriya

Premium Member
  • Aug 11, 2024
    in the application to A&O Shearman should I connect each of my work experiences to A&O? Like saying how it would benefit me as a trainee in A&O or just how it would help me as a lawyer generally?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.