• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Kay Aston

Star Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 8, 2024
Is it only an online application for Latham & Watkins Open Day and is it rolling?
Hi @legal18 - I believe that it is just an application stage for the L&W open day. Although it doesn't specify rolling or non-rolling on the L&W website, it does state here; 'Please note that applications may close before the application deadline, so apply early to avoid disappointment.', which implies rolling, if true. I have reached out to someone I know at L&W to confirm for sure though!

saminoriya

Premium Member
  • Aug 11, 2024
    Has anyone else here applied for the HSF Social Mobility Open Day? Does anyone know roughly when we'll hear back? The deadline was the 8th and the Open Day is at the end of the month, so I was hoping we might know soon so the trains to and from London won't be ridiculously expensive.
    I am waiting as well, but I think it will be till the end of the week or Monday next week at the latest.

Reactions: VMS

👩🎓

Premium Member
    Oct 31, 2023
    Hi @Jessica Booker, what would you recommend the cover letter divide to be for why law, why the firm, and why you - my section on why the firm is the longest with 2 paragraphs (but I have linked personal experiences/interests in there, as it is relevant to the firm's practice areas) and my other sections are 1 paragraph each. Any thoughts would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Kay Aston

Star Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 8, 2024
    Is the Latham & Watkins graduate recruitment open day for any year of degree- first years as well?
    Hey @l789 - unfortunately the website states that these open days are only applicable to 'Penultimate and final year law and non-law students, and graduates', which means that you wouldn't be eligible to apply in your first year. However, L&W do have a First Year Spring Scheme, for which the applications are open now!

Reactions: l789

l789

Star Member
    Aug 19, 2020
    @Kay Aston

Hi Kay,

Thank you so much for replying to my previous question about lathams open day!

I read a bit about your background on the ask future trainees anything thread and have found your journey very admirable.

I wanted to ask about your experience with applying to US law firms (those with AAB reqs) and Alevel grades - as I’m in a bit of a similar position.

If you feel comfortable speaking about this, alternatively I’m happy to message privately :)

Reactions: Jaysen

legal18

Distinguished Member
    Feb 17, 2024
    For the Latham open day application the first question is 'What area of law are you interested in learning more about, and why?' Would it be okay to say employment law - is this something the firm has a focus on?

Reactions: leaaa2023

Kay Aston

Star Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 8, 2024
    @Kay Aston

Hi Kay,

Thank you so much for replying to my previous question about lathams open day!

I read a bit about your background on the ask future trainees anything thread and have found your journey very admirable.

I wanted to ask about your experience with applying to US law firms (those with AAB reqs) and Alevel grades - as I’m in a bit of a similar position.

If you feel comfortable speaking about this, alternatively I’m happy to message privately :)
    Hi @l789 ! You're very welcome and I am so glad you took something positive from my story 😁

Unfortunately, I don't have a ton of experience with applying to US firms, as my applications were focussed on MC, SC and other top 20 UK firms. However, my generic advice would be the same as it is for UK firms which have high grade requirements and are more grade-focussed:
    • If you have any mitigating circumstances, definitely flag these. If you are unsure about something in this regard, or how to evidence your circumstances, email grad rec at the firm ahead of applying and check the best way to flag the circumstances in your application form (I did this, and most firms were extremely helpful and receptive, and it never hurts to be on a first name basis with grad rec).
    • Focus on the parts of your application which are great and which you can control, and don't get bogged down in what you don't have. For example, I knew that my grades weren't great, so I went above and beyond in selling my professional experience, highlighting how it made me a unique candidate, and demonstrating how much firm research I had done. This really helped to set my application apart, despite my grades.
    I appreciate that your question is more US firm-centric, and some of those are perhaps known for being slightly less forgiving with grades, but don't fall into the trap of self-selecting yourself out of applying. You miss 100% of shots you don't take 🚀

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Balaton123

Standard Member
    Nov 20, 2023
    Does anyone know whether we can write down roles in the work experience section we are just about to start? I am working on a couple WVS with deadlines soon, but I am only starting my paralegal job towards the end of September.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone know whether we can write down roles in the work experience section we are just about to start? I am working on a couple WVS with deadlines soon, but I am only starting my paralegal job towards the end of September.
    You might not be able to add future dates to some application systems - it may create an error where typically they are only asking for past experiences. However, this may only be the case with some systems.

If you can add future dates, then include it as an entry but I would put very little detail in the role as you cannot claim to have done anything. At best, it maybe something along the lines of "Will be working in the Commercial Real Estate department, working on a range of clients across sectors". You cannot even really use the job description to say what you could be doing as it could easily be the case that they are not your day to day responsibilities.

shatu

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 3, 2024
    Working on my application for Ashurst and one of the question asks "provide some examples of the key skills that you have gained through your work experience, extracurricular activities...you think would make you a good trainee at Ashurst" and the next questions asks "tell us about your hobbies and interests". Struggling to answer both without repeating myself. Any tips ? I feel like my hobbies/interests are also my extracurriculars. Or should I make the third question an extended version of the second ? (i.e: talking about different hobbies and linking back to being a trainee at Ashurst)

Balaton123

Standard Member
    Nov 20, 2023
    You might not be able to add future dates to some application systems - it may create an error where typically they are only asking for past experiences. However, this may only be the case with some systems.

If you can add future dates, then include it as an entry but I would put very little detail in the role as you cannot claim to have done anything. At best, it maybe something along the lines of "Will be working in the Commercial Real Estate department, working on a range of clients across sectors". You cannot even really use the job description to say what you could be doing as it could easily be the case that they are not your day to day responsibilities.
    Thank you for the help!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.