• Hey Guest, leading international law firm BCLP is live right now in the forum! This is a perfect opportunity to ask any questions you have to the recruitment team. Ask a question here!

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
Can someone please help me understand the work experience section of vacation schemes- it’s my first cycle.

Is it frowned upon to copy and paste bullet points detailing the role and responsibilities of each work experience? Or is the general consensus to write a paragraph (depending on word limit) about the role, especially if they ask about skills gained?

For Ashurst, it’s 150 words about roles and responsibilities per job (doesn’t mention skills) which format would suit this best? Bullet points or paragraph?

Thanks!
Job description; skill one; skill two. For the 'skills', I refer to Shearman & Sterling (now A&O Shearman) and their then Grad Rec lead Paul Gascoyne's skills you'll need as a trainee solicitor. Try to apply those to your work experience. E.g. resourcefulness, decency, work organisation and planning etc. The video explains it more than I ever could.

VMS

Valued Member
Oct 16, 2023
Has anyone else here applied for the HSF Social Mobility Open Day? Does anyone know roughly when we'll hear back? The deadline was the 8th and the Open Day is at the end of the month, so I was hoping we might know soon so the trains to and from London won't be ridiculously expensive.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

SamiyaJ

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 16, 2024
Job description; skill one; skill two. For the 'skills', I refer to Shearman & Sterling (now A&O Shearman) and their then Grad Rec lead Paul Gascoyne's skills you'll need as a trainee solicitor. Try to apply those to your work experience. E.g. resourcefulness, decency, work organisation and planning etc. The video explains it more than I ever could.
Thank you so much! Super helpful 😌

NJS

Legendary Member
  • Aug 21, 2021
    Anyone know if A&O Sherman's GCSE requirements are a must, wondering if its worth applying if an exam I sat 6 years, depsite having AAA, and a first class, would set me back lol...

B2025

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 28, 2024
    Anyone interested in starting in application support group with me where we review each other apps. But there will be confidential in not copying each other application. PM me if interested.

Reactions: SLLLAMA

Amma Usman

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 7, 2024
    this might be a really stupid question ahah, but if a law firm has a graduate open day, is this for graduates only or can I attend if I'm in my final year of uni?
    Hey @member7830 , thanks for your question! I presume that if the open day falls after your graduation you may be eligible to attend. However, it’s worth carefully checking the eligibility requirements set on the website, as well as emailing graduate recruitment if you have any doubts.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.