• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

rras

Standard Member
Premium Member
Feb 22, 2024
Did anyone signed up for the A&O virtual recruiter insights today at 3pm have a link that they'd be able to share with me? I can't see mine in my emails anywhere...

Mentally and Physically Exhausted Applicant

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 16, 2022
when did they hear? I thought we wouldn't hear this early
not sure. The creator of the law app review tool (good tool btw). He emailed me asking whether I received an interview from Sidley, saying that people who used the tool had gotten interviews for the winter vac scheme; maybe he's lying to create a buzz I don't know🤷🏽‍♂️

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Got a question about the Mishcon academics section. It's asking me for letter grades and % grades for each module. I've only got % grades as this is what we use in the UK. Not sure how to convert it to letter ones. @Jessica Booker
Is it compulsory to put a letter in? If not, leave it blank. If it’s compulsory try and put N/A in.

adrk1234

Star Member
Feb 10, 2024
Question for anyone regarding applicaitons. Last year I advanced through the first application stage of a few firms but failed later at the video interview. One of the firms this year that I want to re-apply to is using the exact same questions in their applicaiton as last cycle. I don't want to copy and paste answers to seem lazy, but at the same time I do not want to change a successful answer, hurting my chances of getting into the next round. Any tips on the best approach would be amazing @Jessica Booker

Reactions: doglover123

VMS

Distinguished Member
Oct 16, 2023
@Jessica Booker, on Skadden's application form it states 'Tell us about your interests and inspirations outside of education/work'. I'm unsure as to whether I can talk about my pro bono volunteering here? It was through my university's Pro Bono Society so technically linked to education and was volunteer work so also technically work, but it wasn't a full-time or even part-time role. Is there any chance you could let me know what you think? Thank you in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker, on Skadden's application form it states 'Tell us about your interests and inspirations outside of education/work'. I'm unsure as to whether I can talk about my pro bono volunteering here? It was through my university's Pro Bono Society so technically linked to education and was volunteer work so also technically work, but it wasn't a full-time or even part-time role. Is there any chance you could let me know what you think? Thank you in advance.
It has been mentioned earlier in this thread that this is no longer asked on the Skadden application. Is this definitly something you can see on their current application form?

Pro-bono would count though as it is not a part of your degree and volunteer work will be different to working.

Reactions: VMS

VMS

Distinguished Member
Oct 16, 2023
It has been mentioned earlier in this thread that this is no longer asked on the Skadden application. Is this definitly something you can see on their current application form?

Pro-bono would count though as it is not a part of your degree and volunteer work will be different to working.

Yes, it's definitely on the application form. Thank you!

latome19

Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 13, 2023
not sure. The creator of the law app review tool (good tool btw). He emailed me asking whether I received an interview from Sidley, saying that people who used the tool had gotten interviews for the winter vac scheme; maybe he's lying to create a buzz I don't know🤷🏽‍♂️
I think I received a message on here from the same person some time ago. I had a look at this application he created and suggested using, and I got a bit alarmed that it might a clever way of collecting as many (successful) applications as possible for potentially commercial purposes. I was actually wondering @Jessica Booker if the TCLA administration is aware of this person messaging people and what your thoughts on their application are? But maybe I’m just being a bit too alarmist …

Reactions: Jaysen

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
I think I received a message on here from the same person some time ago. I had a look at this application he created and suggested using, and I got a bit alarmed that it might a clever way of collecting as many (successful) applications as possible for potentially commercial purposes. I was actually wondering @Jessica Booker if the TCLA administration is aware of this person messaging people and what your thoughts on their application are? But maybe I’m just being a bit too alarmist …
It has commercial purposes and I know who you are referring to.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi there - please can you private message me with details of who messaged you as we will need to look into this.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Question for anyone regarding applicaitons. Last year I advanced through the first application stage of a few firms but failed later at the video interview. One of the firms this year that I want to re-apply to is using the exact same questions in their applicaiton as last cycle. I don't want to copy and paste answers to seem lazy, but at the same time I do not want to change a successful answer, hurting my chances of getting into the next round. Any tips on the best approach would be amazing @Jessica Booker
Always try to update and refine your application answers - you'll want to use more modern examples where you can or show more recent evidence of pursuing the career. I also don't think you can assume a successful application last year would be successful this year.

A lot of your application may still have the same themes/content, but I would always try to update it where you can. I suspect if reviewed with a fresh pair of eyes you will find either mistakes or think there are better ways to word the same things you have said in an earlier application.

Interested_In_Law

Star Member
Sep 21, 2022
Bit confused about one Watson Glaser question and wondering if someone could help. The question was an interpretation question on the lawyer portal, stating:

"Everyone who suffers with depression also experiences some type of personal battle. For example, Chloe’s dog passed away while Jamie lost his job."

"Jamie lost his job because of his depression." Correct answer is 'conclusion follows'. The logic given in the explanation "conclusion follows because it states that depression leads to personal problems, which for Jamie was losing his job.

But surely, it is not possible to believe beyond reasonable doubt that the depression is because of the lost job, when it could also be true that the lost job caused the depression. In fact, if we were to strictly follow according the answer's logic of depression causing these personal problems, then surely the death of Chloe's dog was because Chloe was depressed? Which makes no sense at all...

adrk1234

Star Member
Feb 10, 2024
Always try to update and refine your application answers - you'll want to use more modern examples where you can or show more recent evidence of pursuing the career. I also don't think you can assume a successful application last year would be successful this year.

A lot of your application may still have the same themes/content, but I would always try to update it where you can. I suspect if reviewed with a fresh pair of eyes you will find either mistakes or think there are better ways to word the same things you have said in an earlier application.
Amazing thank you so much

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.