• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
So Skadden has changed their application process this year and there is a question “If you could choose a career other than law, what would you choose?”

@Jessica Booker How would you suggest I approach this question? What do they want to see?
I suspect they are looking for you to identify what it is about the other career that would attract you and find the similarities between that career and a legal career. It would help them understand what it is about a legal career is likely to be your motivators.

Reactions: NJS and Sharon Wu

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
So Skadden has changed their application process this year and there is a question “If you could choose a career other than law, what would you choose?”

@Jessica Booker How would you suggest I approach this question? What do they want to see?
Understand lawyers' work from first principles. How is it like other roles? Journalism, or consulting or teaching or whatever.

legally.brown

Legendary Member
  • Sep 27, 2021
    Oh wow, interesting!

What are the other questions and in what way is the application different to last years?
    There are totally three questions instead of the usual cover letter and extra-curricular questions. They have introduced a recent commercial development question along with why Skadden and the career one.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If I am doing a year in industry (4 year course) do I apply now in my second year or my third year when im doing my placement?
    Generally firms will advise you to apply in your third year, but if your placement is going to run throughout the summer (some placements can be a full 12 months rather than 9) you may want to ask firms whether they can consider you this summer instead.

Tintin06

Legendary Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    for this skadden question -> Tell us about your interests and inspirations outside of education/work. do i talk about my EC or something else, not too sure.
    I would use 'Interests' and 'Inspirations' as two headings and cleave the word count down the middle. I'd discuss some prima facie extra curricular activities, but I'd also focus on super curricular activities that will fertilise legal skills. I talk about quizzes and how being on University Challenge helped me build rapport and emotional intelligence (integral epithets for a trainee solicitor on a lean deal team at a firm like e.g. Macfarlanes, where it's often a Partner, Associate, and Trainee staffing it.

Reactions: lolololol

TC seeker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2023
    I‘m applying to Linklater's open day, I find it requires me to complete the Capp test after submitting the form. But their email says candidates just need to complete the online assessment once per recruitment cycle. So it means I do not need to complete the test again when applying to their vacation scheme?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    for this skadden question -> Tell us about your interests and inspirations outside of education/work. do i talk about my EC or something else, not too sure.
    An earlier post suggests the questions for Skadden have changed and that this is no longer asked. I haven’t seen the form to confirm this but just flagging just in case.

Reactions: lolololol

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I‘m applying to Linklater's open day, I find it requires me to complete the Capp test after submitting the form. But their email says candidates just need to complete the online assessment once per recruitment cycle. So it means I do not need to complete the test again when applying to their vacation scheme?
    Yes - that would be the case that they would use the test for other applications this cycle.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.