• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Holly2002

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 30, 2024
Hi, I am currently writing an application and one of the questions is asking about what qualities a lawyer needs. I know in the past people have been successful when talking about things like communication, teamwork etc but these are more skills than qualities. Does anybody have any advice on what I should talk about, I was thinking more down the line of proactivity, resilience etc?

J53

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Jan 12, 2024
    Hi, I am currently writing an application and one of the questions is asking about what qualities a lawyer needs. I know in the past people have been successful when talking about things like communication, teamwork etc but these are more skills than qualities. Does anybody have any advice on what I should talk about, I was thinking more down the line of proactivity, resilience etc?
    My advice would be to look at what qualities the firm highlights in the job description or their about page. Are there any buzzwords which they say their trainees should have or how they conduct themselves? The ones you’ve highlighted sound good and are usable but it’s just a bit of extra tailoring and shows you read the job role and what they’re looking for

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

cleojwilliams

Premium Member
    Jan 31, 2024
    That is not true, unfortunately.
    Supposedly that is the case in terms of academics. However, I have seen enough people with average graders get into Slaughters to know it’s not a hard and fast rule and that if they can find other parts of your application exceptional they may be more interested in that than just your academics.
    Would the fact that I received a 1:1 at university be enough to over look the fact that my A-levels were not good (BBB) because I did not sit my A- Levels due to COVID, and my GCSE's were average. I would like to apply for Slaughter and May but I am not sure if this will hinder my chances.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If I was talking about a firm's work in a ground-breaking deal that impressed me, would it be inappropriate for that deal to have happened a long time ago i.e. in 2012?
    I feel this is too long ago in all honesty. I would aim for something that has happened in at least the last 3-4 years if you can. There are likely to be comparative matters you could highlight instead that would show similar qualities/factors as what has attracted you to that particular deal from 2012.

Reactions: AlexJ

Tom smith

Standard Member
    Aug 19, 2024
    I feel this is too long ago in all honesty. I would aim for something that has happened in at least the last 3-4 years if you can. There are likely to be comparative matters you could highlight instead that would show similar qualities/factors as what has attracted you to that particular deal from 2012.
    Do you think it would be okay if I mentioned the 2012 work being very influential in helping them build a reputation with a client, which they have advised many times more recently?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Do you think it would be okay if I mentioned the 2012 work being very influential in helping them build a reputation with a client, which they have advised many times more recently?
    I don’t think the deal is something to focus on in that case, you could just focus on the relationship with the client/variety of work they bring in.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    does anyone know if the eversheds summer vac scheme is open to final year students or not?
    Looks like non-law final year students only. Odd that you can be a graduate though (and so final year law students would be exempt), so you may want to check with them.

1725092100831.png

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.