• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

hannah04

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2023
Thanks a lot for this - it's really insightful. How would you recommend finding out about these topics, especially unique topics? How long do you need to follow a news story for? What's your definition of a 'unique' news story? Anything that isn't on covid, ai, etc or something that's genuinely obscure?
Just in my personal opinion, the most important thing is to find a topic that genuinely interests you! I think even if the story isn't necessarily "unique" (in that it is a highly trending topic and likely to be chosen by other applicants), if you have genuine or novel insights into the topic and can talk naturally about it, that is way more impressive than finding a obscure topic that no one else would have chosen, because I think they are ultimately assessing how you talk about the story not what story you chose.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Well, if it’s not the case for both situations, how can I take the course from school ?
I would speak to your firm about this, as if you need a visa and can’t use something like a post-study visa, you may have to complete the course outside of the U.K.

latome19

Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 13, 2023
Hi everyone

This is my second cycle and I want to take SQE1 this Jan following my law conversion, and then SQE2. My concern is that most TCs are advertised for 2027, but I want to start as early as possible if I pass the SQE (I know that this is a hypothetical).

I know there are several firms that will officially advertise for 2025 this year (mainly niche ones), or that have had an established unofficial practice of taking on new future trainees in the same year if they have already completed SQE (a handful of US ones).

My question is whether, with some existing future trainees not passing SQE, there would be potentially a larger range of firms open to *unofficially* filling their intakes from those future trainees who self-funded their SQE so that they don’t have to wait? This is just to narrow down my selection of firms because I wouldn’t be able to wait till 2027.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone

This is my second cycle and I want to take SQE1 this Jan following my law conversion, and then SQE2. My concern is that most TCs are advertised for 2027, but I want to start as early as possible if I pass the SQE (I know that this is a hypothetical).

I know there are several firms that will officially advertise for 2025 this year (mainly niche ones), or that have had an established unofficial practice of taking on new future trainees in the same year if they have already completed SQE (a handful of US ones).

My question is whether, with some existing future trainees not passing SQE, there would be potentially a larger range of firms open to *unofficially* filling their intakes from those future trainees who self-funded their SQE so that they don’t have to wait? This is just to narrow down my selection of firms because I wouldn’t be able to wait till 2027.
Possibly - but I think many firms will have a waiting list for trainees who can start earlier and may just backfill vacancies with those people.

I would recommend applying to firms you are interested in even if they are recruiting for 2027 anyway and if you got an offer, you could be on these waiting lists to start earlier.

Tom smith

Standard Member
Aug 19, 2024
Hi, just wondering if third year law undergraduate are eligible for all vacation schemes, or are some firms exclusive to second year law undergraduates or third year non-law undergraduates? For example, on Sullivan & Cromwell's website it says this "We will accept applications for our 2024 summer vacation scheme from penultimate-year law students and final-year non-law students, as well as those studying for postgraduate degrees, from 1 November 2023 through 12 January 2024." - note sure if this would exclude third year law undergraduates?

Reactions: lawtab

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, just wondering if third year law undergraduate are eligible for all vacation schemes, or are some firms exclusive to second year law undergraduates or third year non-law undergraduates? For example, on Sullivan & Cromwell's website it says this "We will accept applications for our 2024 summer vacation scheme from penultimate-year law students and final-year non-law students, as well as those studying for postgraduate degrees, from 1 November 2023 through 12 January 2024." - note sure if this would exclude third year law undergraduates?
To me, this would exclude a final year third-year law student unfortunately. Different firms have different criteria, so it is always worthwhile checking as to what each firm's criteria is.

lawyersum

Star Member
Jun 28, 2024
Hi all, just wondering where Legal Cheek vacation schemes would fit into an application form. For context, I attended the Winter, Spring, and Summer editions, participated in practice area workshops, and completed case studies sent to us in my own time. Should I group them under all my legal events in the work experience section? Or, should I have a heading stating: Legal Cheek Vacation Schemes, and pop the details under there? @Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all, just wondering where Legal Cheek vacation schemes would fit into an application form. For context, I attended the Winter, Spring, and Summer editions, participated in practice area workshops, and completed case studies sent to us in my own time. Should I group them under all my legal events in the work experience section? Or, should I have a heading stating: Legal Cheek Vacation Schemes, and pop the details under there? @Jessica Booker
I'd definitely only have them as one entry if you are including them in a work experience section, but I think they are better suited to any careers events sections if there is one, or something like additional information sections.

If there is nowhere suitable to list them elsewhere in the application form, then include them in a work experience entry but as one entry,

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.