• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

lawyersum

Star Member
Jun 28, 2024
Hey, on Travers Smith's application there are two questions, one which allows you to put any details of extra curricular(tutoring) and then another on any achievements/awards/levels of responsibility which you have gained (the very popular legal blog). :)
Hi @s2203 , thanks for replying! Yes, I know Travers Smith does have these two questions, but I'm a bit scared to put these two into these sections as it will reduce the number of work experiences I have which may make me look a little inexperienced. As it stands, I have got a decent amount of stuff to put into those two questions without the tutoring and Editor position, so might just take the approach Jessica suggested. But, I'd love to know whether you think I'm being overly cautious about this hehe?

floral.tcla

Standard Member
Aug 15, 2024
They've adopted A&O's old application approach.
You'll automatically get sent a SJT, following the submission of the written form.
This SJT will then also have a few video-recorded questions that you'll need to answer.

From their website directly:

1. Online Application​

You will be required to submit an online application which details your work and education history.

You will then be sent an email which will contain a link to complete an interactive assessment. The assessment will include verbal and numerical reasoning items and two short motivation questions to complete via video. The interactive assessment is untimed and should take around 45 minutes. The interactive assessment is designed to provide a realistic preview of what you may experience as a trainee at A&O Shearman as well as give us an insight into your motivations.
thank you for this! I'm new to TCLA so I'm sorry if this is redundant, but do you know where I could receive advice for preparing for the A&O online assessment? I completed it last year for their first-year scheme and I didn't score high enough.

floral.tcla

Standard Member
Aug 15, 2024
hi everyone, I thought that for MCs as long as you have a 2:1, your application is fine and other parts like the assessment centre and written questions are more important. I go to Cambridge University and I study a non-law humanities and I just completed my first year getting the following grades in my papers alongside a few extracurriculars where I developed a lot professionally: 60, 60, 62, 64.
Should I apply to any magic circle firms or are my grades sufficient enough to be able to make a successful application? What should I focus on?
Thanks and good luck for your applications.

Last edited:

Thom&as

Feb 27, 2024
hi everyone, I thought that for MCs as long as you have a 2:1, your application is fine and other parts like the assessment centre and written questions are more important. I go to Cambridge University and I study a non-law humanities and I just completed my first year getting the following grades in my papers alongside a few extracurriculars where I developed a lot professionally: 60, 60, 62, 64.
Should I apply to any magic circle firms or are my grades okay enough? What should I focus on?
Thanks and good luck for your applications.
MC firms put a lot of emphasis on your extra-curricular and professional journey. I think your grades shouldn't be an issue, especially considering the subject isn't related to law. I will say though from personal experience, Slaughter and May will certainly ask why your grades for certain modules were 'low' (by their standard) if they were anything below 63.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

floral.tcla

Standard Member
Aug 15, 2024
MC firms put a lot of emphasis on your extra-curricular and professional journey. I think your grades shouldn't be an issue, especially considering the subject isn't related to law. I will say though from personal experience, Slaughter and May will certainly ask why your grades for certain modules were 'low' (by their standard) if they were anything below 63.
thanks for letting me know! that's a shame because I liked their work culture :/ I do have some extenuating circumstances for the exams I got a grade 60 (and I have always been state-educated so I had no idea how to do well in university exams). I heard that employers regard an Oxbridge 2:1 as a high 2:1 or even a first compared to non-Oxbridge universities. Do you know what they would think?

Thom&as

Feb 27, 2024
thanks for letting me know! that's a shame because I liked their work culture :/ I do have some extenuating circumstances for the exams I got a grade 60 (and I have always been state-educated so I had no idea how to do well in university exams). I heard that employers regard an Oxbridge 2:1 as a high 2:1 or even a first compared to non-Oxbridge universities. Do you know what they would think?
I would be lying if I said the oxbridge factor didn't matter as I've heard from others that partners have previously asked applicants "why didn't you go to oxbridge instead?". I'm not entirely sure how much weight they put on each factor in your application, but I'd apply anyway if you're confident you're a strong candidate. Above all, what they're looking for is that you are passionate about commercial law and that you are committed to the firm in the long term.

Reactions: floral.tcla

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.