• Hey Guest, leading international law firm BCLP is live right now in the forum! This is a perfect opportunity to ask any questions you have to the recruitment team. Ask a question here!

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Kay Aston

Star Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 8, 2024
@Kay Aston

Hi Kay,

Thank you so much for replying to my previous question about lathams open day!

I read a bit about your background on the ask future trainees anything thread and have found your journey very admirable.

I wanted to ask about your experience with applying to US law firms (those with AAB reqs) and Alevel grades - as I’m in a bit of a similar position.

If you feel comfortable speaking about this, alternatively I’m happy to message privately :)
Hi @l789 ! You're very welcome and I am so glad you took something positive from my story 😁

Unfortunately, I don't have a ton of experience with applying to US firms, as my applications were focussed on MC, SC and other top 20 UK firms. However, my generic advice would be the same as it is for UK firms which have high grade requirements and are more grade-focussed:
  • If you have any mitigating circumstances, definitely flag these. If you are unsure about something in this regard, or how to evidence your circumstances, email grad rec at the firm ahead of applying and check the best way to flag the circumstances in your application form (I did this, and most firms were extremely helpful and receptive, and it never hurts to be on a first name basis with grad rec).
  • Focus on the parts of your application which are great and which you can control, and don't get bogged down in what you don't have. For example, I knew that my grades weren't great, so I went above and beyond in selling my professional experience, highlighting how it made me a unique candidate, and demonstrating how much firm research I had done. This really helped to set my application apart, despite my grades.
I appreciate that your question is more US firm-centric, and some of those are perhaps known for being slightly less forgiving with grades, but don't fall into the trap of self-selecting yourself out of applying. You miss 100% of shots you don't take 🚀

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Balaton123

Standard Member
Premium Member
Nov 20, 2023
Does anyone know whether we can write down roles in the work experience section we are just about to start? I am working on a couple WVS with deadlines soon, but I am only starting my paralegal job towards the end of September.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know whether we can write down roles in the work experience section we are just about to start? I am working on a couple WVS with deadlines soon, but I am only starting my paralegal job towards the end of September.
You might not be able to add future dates to some application systems - it may create an error where typically they are only asking for past experiences. However, this may only be the case with some systems.

If you can add future dates, then include it as an entry but I would put very little detail in the role as you cannot claim to have done anything. At best, it maybe something along the lines of "Will be working in the Commercial Real Estate department, working on a range of clients across sectors". You cannot even really use the job description to say what you could be doing as it could easily be the case that they are not your day to day responsibilities.

shatu

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Jan 3, 2024
    Working on my application for Ashurst and one of the question asks "provide some examples of the key skills that you have gained through your work experience, extracurricular activities...you think would make you a good trainee at Ashurst" and the next questions asks "tell us about your hobbies and interests". Struggling to answer both without repeating myself. Any tips ? I feel like my hobbies/interests are also my extracurriculars. Or should I make the third question an extended version of the second ? (i.e: talking about different hobbies and linking back to being a trainee at Ashurst)

Balaton123

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 20, 2023
    You might not be able to add future dates to some application systems - it may create an error where typically they are only asking for past experiences. However, this may only be the case with some systems.

If you can add future dates, then include it as an entry but I would put very little detail in the role as you cannot claim to have done anything. At best, it maybe something along the lines of "Will be working in the Commercial Real Estate department, working on a range of clients across sectors". You cannot even really use the job description to say what you could be doing as it could easily be the case that they are not your day to day responsibilities.
    Thank you for the help!

Tintin06

Legendary Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    For the Latham open day application the first question is 'What area of law are you interested in learning more about, and why?' Would it be okay to say employment law - is this something the firm has a focus on?
    I'd look at their Chambers and Partners or Legal 500 entry and pick a landmark practice area you're genuinely interested in. I chose private equity last year, and I got the open day.

Kay Aston

Star Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 8, 2024
    Working on my application for Ashurst and one of the question asks "provide some examples of the key skills that you have gained through your work experience, extracurricular activities...you think would make you a good trainee at Ashurst" and the next questions asks "tell us about your hobbies and interests". Struggling to answer both without repeating myself. Any tips ? I feel like my hobbies/interests are also my extracurriculars. Or should I make the third question an extended version of the second ? (i.e: talking about different hobbies and linking back to being a trainee at Ashurst)
    Hi Shatu, this is a great question. It is important to take a step back and think about what Ashurst are trying to see from you in these questions. In the first, they are looking for professional skills (e.g. leadership, adaptability, attention to detail), so use these as a starting point, and then relate them back to an example from any work you have done or any extracurricular activities, such as university societies or other clubs. I think that they add in 'extracurricular activities' in this question because they are aware that many students may not have worked before, but nevertheless have had opportunities throughout life to develop these skills.

The second question is a much more personal one about hobbies and interests, so focus on things you like to do in your spare time outside of work or extracurriculars, which show that you are a well-rounded person. Of course, there may be some overlap, and that's fine as long as you can talk about them separately. For example, if one of your hobbies is snow sports, you could talk about this in question 2, but if you organised an event or trip for the snow sports society, you could talk about the skills you developed during this task for question 1. I really hope that helps but let me know if anything is unclear!

Akimbo001

May 22, 2024
    Hi everyone - BCLP are asking: 'What is your understanding of how a business generates and maintains a profit? (Please provide examples)'.

I am afraid I am approaching this too academically. It feels like an exam question lol, but I am trying to infuse it with examples which demonstrate commercial awareness; things like BCLP's merger in 2018 etc. But it still feels quite impersonal and I feel like I am doing it wrong. Please help!

unknownnn7372

Jul 3, 2023
    Hey guys,
    I have a question. I have applied to a couple of winter vac schemes, but I am an international student and a lot of these run during term time (therefore, the 20-hour cap per week comes into play). Therefore, assuming I get an offer, do you think the firm would change the schemes to spring or summer if I asked?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey guys,
    I have a question. I have applied to a couple of winter vac schemes, but I am an international student and a lot of these run during term time (therefore, the 20-hour cap per week comes into play). Therefore, assuming I get an offer, do you think the firm would change the schemes to spring or summer if I asked?
    This is a possibility with some firms and you can at least ask. However, some firms will have wanted you to factor this into which scheme you applied to and therefore may not be able to move your programme and you may just need to turn their offer down.

Other firms have found ways around the timings of winter schemes to incorporate international students into their programmes, by either splitting the scheme across two weeks or just reducing the number of days you attend. This is not ideal, but is another way I have seen international candidates and law firms make it work.

Reactions: Andrei Radu

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone - BCLP are asking: 'What is your understanding of how a business generates and maintains a profit? (Please provide examples)'.

I am afraid I am approaching this too academically. It feels like an exam question lol, but I am trying to infuse it with examples which demonstrate commercial awareness; things like BCLP's merger in 2018 etc. But it still feels quite impersonal and I feel like I am doing it wrong. Please help!
    This does not need to be BCLP-specific (or even law firm-specific).

I think they are asking a really open question like this on purpose. It is open to a lot of interpretation and direction in how someone describes this or the aspects they focus on. Ultimately, people complete whole degrees on this topic, so it isn't really going to be about there being a specific answer, but more your analysis and thoughts on what the most important factors are to consider out of the many hundreds of points you could potentially identify.

Reactions: Akimbo001

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.