TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
I have been an observer on the forum for a while now but have decided to make an account. I have seen your posts and replies and have enjoyed your frequent updates on your applications however, many of your replies are condescending to others. You may not notice it yourself but they come off as rude and I am quite often confused the no one has called you out on it.

From what I’ve gathered you’re an Oxbridge grad with 4 vac schemes, you’re in an incredible position right now compared to many others. You venting is soo valid having not converted them but you also have to realise your attitude plays a factor in this. Your experience is not pointless by any means you need to alter your mindset when you get to these schemes and not expect to be given the TC based on your background?

Hopefully this is taken as encouragement to keep going and not me attacking you x
I don’t feel lucky anymore. I’m fairly blunt but use my experiences to help this. No condescension is meant. Which posts are you referring to? I’m just bored of waiting for a TC. I believe I should have got it by now.

OliverTwist

Standard Member
Sep 24, 2023
Anyone else delete negative outcomes ASAP? I barely scan before deleting them. This sounds very conceited, but I'm very angry. I have done four Vacation Schemes (Slaughter and May, Debevoise & Plimpton, Travers Smith and Ropes & Gray). What was the point? Firms don't seem to value these at all. I also try to emphasis transferable skills from other roles. Again, what is the point? It just feels like every cycle is the same - and this is why I gave up for two years. I'm tempted to do it again.
Do you think it may have something to do with your attitude?

IneedaTCASAP

Standard Member
Oct 14, 2024
I don’t feel lucky anymore. I’m fairly blunt but use my experiences to help this. No condescension is meant. Which posts are you referring to? I’m just bored of waiting for a TC. I believe I should have got it by now.
How you feel is irrelevant realistically, on paper you are lucky. You not feeling that at this stage is very understandable but the cookie doesn’t crumble like that unfortunately.

I’m sure you’ll get a TC soon just be positive and approach the cycle with the emphasis of wanting to learn not already knowing! 😁

Looking forward to your next update x

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Loving all these Open Day Invites!!!!!!!!

For The People Yes GIF by Kamala Harris
t

bangarangbass39

Legendary Member
Sep 13, 2023
Mischon Open Day- but transferred to online. Application not strong enough?
I’ve got one too. I wonder if it’s to do with location? I’m in the midlands so I imagine they want to make it easier for ppl close to the office (London) then again, it quicker for me to come in than someone else who lives in SE/SW London. But I digress.

Congrats tho! I’m making a list of questions so if you want to discuss making some it would be great :)

• 🏆
Reactions: maymays and Legalstalker

bangarangbass39

Legendary Member
Sep 13, 2023
I think it’s more being neurodiverse. Possibly a focus on US firms. I don’t know honestly.
Just wondering (I’m not intending to criticise your behaviour and personality) but have you considered UK firms more? I’m just interested in understanding your strong focus on US firms!

Maybe that could be the key and you can move to US post TC? Many do it, and from looking at the way you approach the cycle, it seems you have less interest in a specific culture and practice. I only say this because the US firms you’re applying for are so different from each other. I could be wrong

RonRod13

Valued Member
  • Nov 18, 2023
    Anyone else delete negative outcomes ASAP? I barely scan before deleting them. This sounds very conceited, but I'm very angry. I have done four Vacation Schemes (Slaughter and May, Debevoise & Plimpton, Travers Smith and Ropes & Gray). What was the point? Firms don't seem to value these at all. I also try to emphasis transferable skills from other roles. Again, what is the point? It just feels like every cycle is the same - and this is why I gave up for two years. I'm tempted to do it again.
    Bro I’m gonna be honest, how do u get four vac schemes and not convert one. MC firms convert virtually everyone from their scheme too I thought? No hate genuinely curious.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.