TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Amma Usman

Valued Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
are we allowed to enquire about our results from the Hogan's WG test?
Hey @bangarangbass39 , I haven’t encountered the specifics of HL’s application process, but I presume there isn’t an issue with going ahead and inquiring. Most firms will be happy to share general information on your test outcome, whereas some may be more hesitant to go into specifics. Regardless, there’s never any harm in asking.

Amma Usman

Valued Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
What questions should I ask the partner at the end of a case study/scenario based interview?
Hey @Giorgos , you could always ask them their own thoughts about the case study. This shows initiative and curiosity - having an open mind to learn from their own experiences would do so much in building your own knowledge for years to come! You could also ask them more about their practice as this gives you another opportunity to learn more about the field.

Amma Usman

Valued Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Hi all, I made it to the Q/finals of the commercial awareness competition. I'd be grateful to get any tips from anyone who's participated before, to get a broad feel of what to expect.
Hey @TC Chaser . In my experience, the CA competitions test commercial awareness live. This means you’ll need to keep abreast of upcoming and current industry/global trends. For example, just a few days back, talks on a new employment rights bill have been on the rise.

Listening to the FT daily news briefing, reading Finimise, Watson Daily, etc, are great information builders on the topic of commercial awareness. I will also be posting short daily (excluding weekends) updates on the TCLA forum HERE.

Hope this helps, and feel free to post any more questions:)

Amma Usman

Valued Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Hey @TC Chaser . In my experience, the CA competitions test commercial awareness live. This means you’ll need to keep abreast of upcoming and current industry/global trends. For example, just a few days back, talks on a new employment rights bill have been on the rise.

Listening to the FT daily news briefing, reading Finimise, Watson Daily, etc, are great information builders on the topic of commercial awareness. I will also be posting short daily (excluding weekends) updates on the TCLA forum HERE.

Hope this helps, and feel free to post any more questions:)
@TC Chaser , this is another great starting point - https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....awareness-recommended-reading-start-here.697/

Amma Usman

Valued Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
I tried! I only sent around 12 messages this week but received no response. Trainees and associates are busy, so I understand!
Hey @AS24 , I completely understand the feeling of reaching out and never getting a response back. It’s totally understandable that lawyers are busy. One thing I did was to reach out to future trainees instead. They will likely have more time to get back to you and will be relatively newer in the firms application process.

Reactions: AS24

Amma Usman

Valued Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
are you meant to also mention relevant skills under experience, or just what you did at various roles?
Hey @tarty23, @⁨Jessica Booker⁩ would have more thoughts on this, but generally I recommend mentioning the skills gained with demonstrated interest - however, this will be dependent on the firms policy as some firms set strict limits of about 50 words per experience. This means you’ll need to focus on responsibilities at the expense of skills and other extra points. You would otherwise cover them in the cover letter/application questions anyway, so nothing to worry about.

There’s also a way to cover a skill without explicitly stating it, whilst describing your experience. For example, “collaborated on a group project aimed at retaining young talent in banking”, naturally shows good teamwork.

Apple

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
"Given the firm's focus on cross-jurisdictional work, how does that impact your day-to-day work?"

Is this a reasonable question to ask at the end of an interview? I'm worried it might be a dumb question/provoke a very short response.

Amma Usman

Valued Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
"Given the firm's focus on cross-jurisdictional work, how does that impact your day-to-day work?"

Is this a reasonable question to ask at the end of an interview? I'm worried it might be a dumb question/provoke a very short response.
Hey @Apple !

Your question is definitely reasonable and shows that you're thinking about how the firm's work impacts employees on a practical level. However, to avoid the risk of a short or generic response, you could refine it slightly to invite a more thoughtful, detailed answer.

For example:

1. "Given the firm's focus on cross-jurisdictional work, how does that shape your day-to-day responsibilities, particularly in terms of collaboration with international teams or managing clients across different legal systems?"

2. "How do you find cross-jurisdictional work impacts the complexity or variety of your daily tasks, and what skills have you found most useful in navigating this aspect?"

This refinement can prompt a more engaging discussion, showing your interest in the firm's international scope and its practical implications.

Reactions: Apple

Giorgos

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Jul 5, 2023
Hey @Giorgos , you could always ask them their own thoughts about the case study. This shows initiative and curiosity - having an open mind to learn from their own experiences would do so much in building your own knowledge for years to come! You could also ask them more about their practice as this gives you another opportunity to learn more about the field.
Thank you, Amma!

• Love
Reactions: Amma Usman

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
For VSs recruited on a rolling basis, when is realistically 'too late' before the final deadline for applications to be worth sending off?

Thinking about applying to Dechert WVS today (deadline 25th oct, rolling) but if its already a futile effort then I'll save it for spring.

Thanks
It is ultimately never too late all the time applications are open.

If you can apply in the first two thirds of an application window you will be very safe. If you apply 2-3 weeks before a deadline you’ll most likely be safe too.

AS24

Distinguished Member
Apr 16, 2024
Hey @AS24 , I completely understand the feeling of reaching out and never getting a response back. It’s totally understandable that lawyers are busy. One thing I did was to reach out to future trainees instead. They will likely have more time to get back to you and will be relatively newer in the firms application process.
Wow thank you, I never thought about it. I will make sure to follow your suggestion.

• Love

Apple

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
Hey @Apple !

Your question is definitely reasonable and shows that you're thinking about how the firm's work impacts employees on a practical level. However, to avoid the risk of a short or generic response, you could refine it slightly to invite a more thoughtful, detailed answer.

For example:

1. "Given the firm's focus on cross-jurisdictional work, how does that shape your day-to-day responsibilities, particularly in terms of collaboration with international teams or managing clients across different legal systems?"

2. "How do you find cross-jurisdictional work impacts the complexity or variety of your daily tasks, and what skills have you found most useful in navigating this aspect?"

This refinement can prompt a more engaging discussion, showing your interest in the firm's international scope and its practical implications.
Thank you so much, this is so helpful! I'm always worried about asking something dumb at the end haha.

• Love

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.