• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker Can I include things like SEO London & Bridging barriers on my application form as experience too? The firm has separated legal and non-legal work experience but the bridging barriers program that I am part of leans to the legal side because my mentor is in the legal profession as Partner at her law firm.
You can mention it in sections about your motivations or careers related activities you have been involved in. I don't think it should be in work experience, but it can be leveraged elsewhere in applications to show your interest in or knowledge of the sector.

bangarangbass39

Legendary Member
Sep 13, 2023
You can mention it in sections about your motivations or careers related activities you have been involved in. I don't think it should be in work experience, but it can be leveraged elsewhere in applications to show your interest in or knowledge of the sector.
What about open days/insight days? I've never really understood why people litter them all over their LinkedIn profiles. Can they be mentioned in the experience sections?

I'm non law so I always feel my "experience" is skinny and limited, particularly with Law. I've logged out of LinkedIn because it makes no sense to me lol.

• 🤝
Reactions: TC seeker and DGI235

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi guys,

I have a couple of questions, would love @Jessica Booker and @axelbeugre opinions but forum please feel free to chime in.

1)How would you relate the firm's growth to you as an aspiring solicitor? Would it be enough to relate it to practice areas' growth, the opportunity to experience more workload in terms of cases/deals and therefore increase your commercial acumen?

2) I am particularly fascinated by Finance infrastructure for a couple of reasons. First, it is someone related to what I do but I deal more with setting up the infrastructure but not finance. Secondly, there are a lot of macro and micro economic factors which make the practice area widely interesting. However, I do not have experience in this particular area. How do I talk about it, how do I express my desire to learn more?

Reactions: axelbeugre

TC seeker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2023
    What about open days/insight days? I've never really understood why people litter them all over their LinkedIn profiles. Can they be mentioned in the experience sections?

I'm non law so I always feel my "experience" is skinny and limited, particularly with Law. I've logged out of LinkedIn because it makes no sense to me lol.
    I think talk about open days/insight day would definitely be helpful. Some firms allow you to put insight day on their application form as work experience. So many people write it on their Linkedin

Reactions: bangarangbass39

nnt_1304

Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2022
    If anyone is looking for accommodation for spring or summer vac scheme 2024 in London, feel free to PM me!

I have a spare double bedroom in N1 (within 20 min walking distance to Kings Cross) to sublet for £220 a week, all bills and utilities included, bathroom and kitchen shared with one person (myself). The room will be available from 15 March to 15 June, suitable for spring vac schemers and early summer vac schemers. I am currently a paralegal at a city law firm and a future trainee.

Virtual or in-person viewings would of course be welcome!

PS. Apology to the TCLA team if perhaps this is not the most suitable forum for housing advertisements like this. I have a spare room in need of subletting, and I have also in the past helped fellow vac schemers find accommodation in London, so I thought some members of this forum can benefit from this post.

bangarangbass39

Legendary Member
    Sep 13, 2023
    I think talk about open days/insight day would definitely be helpful. Some firms allow you to put insight day on their application form as work experience. So many people write it on their Linkedin
    Lol, I think that's a bit ridiculous but fair enough. I wish there was a separate section. I don't think Open Days/Insight Evenings should qualify - hardly any work involved - but I realise they are "competitive" to get on to.

Am I disadvantaged by not attending open days? I have attended virtual events and campus talks but thought the whole open day was a bit much for travelling to be told the same things.

TC seeker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2023
    Lol, I think that's a bit ridiculous but fair enough. I wish there was a separate section. I don't think Open Days/Insight Evenings should qualify - hardly any work involved - but I realise they are "competitive" to get on to.

Am I disadvantaged by not attending open days? I have attended virtual events and campus talks but thought the whole open day was a bit much for travelling to be told the same things.
    I think open day just give you a chance to familiar with the firm. it is a great opportunity to network with trainees/associates,and it also would be helpful when you write about“why this firm”. You can also do this by participate the networking events on campus or virtually.If you familiar with these firms very well,you won't be disadvantaged.

• 🤝
    Reactions: bangarangbass39

Tiffi2000

Feb 24, 2024
    I just completed W&C’s VI and before I completed it, they said they received 4000 applications (I presume that’s across the winter, spring, and summer schemes)?

Out of interest, how many roughly reach each stage?

I imagine maybe 1000 reach the VI, 200 or so the AC and then 75 for the VS to fill the 50 TC spots? Or is that way off?

TC seeker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2023
    I just completed W&C’s VI and before I completed it, they said they received 4000 applications (I presume that’s across the winter, spring, and summer schemes)?

Out of interest, how many roughly reach each stage?

I imagine maybe 1000 reach the VI, 200 or so the AC and then 75 for the VS to fill the 50 TC spots? Or is that way off?
    They also has the direct TC route,I think maybe not that much people to participate the VS

bangarangbass39

Legendary Member
    Sep 13, 2023
    I think open day just give you a chance to familiar with the firm. it is a great opportunity to network with trainees/associates,and it also would be helpful when you write about“why this firm”. You can also do this by participate the networking events on campus or virtually.If you familiar with these firms very well,you won't be disadvantaged.
    For sure! I think I'm just unsure how it's work experience/something I'd list under my work experience section. I would talk about it in the "Why law and why this firm" section (which I have) but work experience? I'm a lil lost still. But it's deffo good for those things you mentioned

• 🤝
    Reactions: TC seeker

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    They also has the direct TC route,I think maybe not that much people to participate the VS
    I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I saw someone say the other day that they recruited a tiny amount through the direct route? As in 90% come through the VS?

In regard to the OP's question, I would guess those figures are roughly right? Although maybe slightly less at the VI/AC stage?

Reactions: Amehta1

iwantaTC26

Standard Member
    Feb 14, 2024
    potentially futile idea but is there a resource with technical/analytical-style interview questions with answers or pointers to answers that a family member/friend with no idea of commercial law could use to practice on me? objective is to be asked questions i've never seen before and see how i manage on the spot, but i am the first person in my family/close circle to do an AC like this (!)

Reactions: yasmars

Seven

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 15, 2022
    For sure! I think I'm just unsure how it's work experience/something I'd list under my work experience section. I would talk about it in the "Why law and why this firm" section (which I have) but work experience? I'm a lil lost still. But it's deffo good for those things you mentioned
    Open days at city law firms are essentially condensed versions of work experience, typically spanning from 9 am to 4 pm or a half day. These events encompass a range of activities such as commercial awareness workshops, application masterclasses, case study and negotiation exercises, panel discussions, firm tours, Q&A sessions, networking receptions, and practice area presentations. It's important to note that some open days are competitive and may fast-track you to an assessment day.

From a practical standpoint, participating in these open days qualifies as work experience because you gain invaluable firsthand insight into the firm's operations. While it might not be a traditional full-time job, it still provides a direct and immersive experience within the legal industry. The distinction between employment and work experience is crucial here. According to advice from graduate recruitment, including open days in the work experience section demonstrates a genuine interest and active engagement with the legal field. So, it's certainly worth highlighting as a valuable aspect of your professional development.

From my experience, I've seen demonstrable success including these open days and events in my applications.

Edit: Just to add, if you're struggling on what to put in the work experience section or you need confirmation of putting open days or less relevant work experience in applications. See this article here: https://ukgraduates.shearman.com/2018/05/30/training-contract-work-experience/

Last edited:

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 8, 2022
    potentially futile idea but is there a resource with technical/analytical-style interview questions with answers or pointers to answers that a family member/friend with no idea of commercial law could use to practice on me? objective is to be asked questions i've never seen before and see how i manage on the spot, but i am the first person in my family/close circle to do an AC like this (!)

Scroll down a bit to the technical and commercial questions

As well as this https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/175-training-contract-interview-questions-2/

Attachments

• Practice interview question bank.pdf
      208.6 KB · Views: 77
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.