• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arf1309

Valued Member
Dec 7, 2022
Anyone else just get that email from Forsters saying that they have filled their spaces for the vac scheme but will still consider for a TC? 😅

Don't know whether I should be happy or sad about it 😂

missingh

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2022
What's the contingency plan for people who have already graduated (and are currently doing the PGDL) and haven't secured the TC yet? I have no idea what I'll be doing after my PGDL. Tried my luck with the Civil Service but they received 60,000 apps. Is anyone in the same position?
LLB grad here, i'm currently on a year long internship but when that ends i'm gonna try get a paralegal role maybe at my same company but also worrying 😭 not sure how i feel about self funding sqe without a TC

Apple

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
Is it a crazy idea to graduate and just spend the year focusing on VS and TC applications? lol

I feel like preparing for an AC, as well as the sheer volume of applications I could write without any academic commitments would help me immensely.

Reactions: kmo20 and Sharon Wu

futuretrainee2025

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 2, 2022
    Is it a crazy idea to graduate and just spend the year focusing on VS and TC applications? lol

I feel like preparing for an AC, as well as the sheer volume of applications I could write without any academic commitments would help me immensely.
    a lot of people after graduating do this for winter schemes

missingh

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 14, 2022

a lot of people after graduating do this for winter schemes
    yeah i second this, a couple friends that graduated same time as me (sept) either worked part time or didn't work at all and only applied (whereas I worked full time). they were both successful (one tc other ended up getting a non law grad scheme)! makes me sometimes question if i made the right choice choosing to work full time. but i do really like this role so im glad i got the experience (even though i haven't been able to speak about it at interviews yet!). it is tough balancing apps and working (i'm struggling with it more so than at uni personally) but it does fill up your time, i think i would've gone a bit insane not having anything to do but apps

Reactions: Apple

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021

Honestly, I would strongly advise against this strategy.

I know how time consuming the process is and the amount of time you want to dedicate to it, but the issue will be having a huge gap on your CV. If you get to AC interviews and they see you’re not currently employed after leaving uni, they may question that. If you say you’re spending the year solely focused on applications, I think they’d regard that as a poor use of time management/ability to balance various responsibilities when there will be plenty of others coping with applications, jobs, uni etc.

I also think you’d be incredibly bored and lose motivation. I think spending 4/5 months solid writing applications would be a drag. I think any form of employment/voluntary work is a better option :)

Have just seen @futuretrainee2023’s comment though and do feel it could probably work with winter schemes. Any grad jobs are competitive these days and if you say you’re actively looking but are also balancing apps, I reckon that’s fine. If you had an AC in March/April though and hadn’t been doing anything bar applications for 8 months, I’m less sure!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.