• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2020
How do these two questions differ? Arent they both asking why you want to be a commercial lawyer?
and how would i go about answering these questions.
Any tips or insight would be greatly appreciated.
"What motivates you to pursue a career as a commercial Solicitor? Explain how you would add value as a Trainee in the London office of Akin"
"What are the most important rewards you expect in your career?"

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If I pronounced a firms name completely wrong in a VI, is this an automatic PFO?
It’s not the best thing to do but it’s actually pretty common for firms whose name is not obvious. It really depends on how badly you are pronouncing it.

Top tip - if you are ever unsure, go on the firms website or YouTube and see how they pronounce it. I can remember doing that before my interview with Freshfields way back when, as despite working in the legal sector for years I wasn’t quite sure how to pronounce Deringer!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How do these two questions differ? Arent they both asking why you want to be a commercial lawyer?
and how would i go about answering these questions.
Any tips or insight would be greatly appreciated.
"What motivates you to pursue a career as a commercial Solicitor? Explain how you would add value as a Trainee in the London office of Akin"
"What are the most important rewards you expect in your career?"
The first one is more about why you will enjoy inputting into the work, whilst the second is more about what you will get out of doing that work.

TurnbullBR

Standard Member
  • Jan 4, 2024
    Its my first law recruitment cycle - am I correct in assuming that most firms (certainly the magic/silver circle, other major firms), will reply to you (regardless whether PFO or progression to next stage), given they use automated systems?

I.e If I haven't heard back I am technically still in the running.

Or are some of the major firms known to not reply?

Reactions: dinoorchestra
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.