• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I think the percentile also takes into account the difficulty of the question and how others performed, maybe that could be a factor as well but it’s confusing
It is possibly this but also you can be negatively scored for how wrong your answer is.

Typically with psychometric tests there are 3-4 potential answers for each question.

There will be the correct answer (obviously) but then their might be an answer that you could get to if you missed a small detail, and then an answer that you really shouldn’t be able to get to unless you ignore several parts of the question. It can be the case that you will score something like 1 for the correct answer, 0 for the “‘issued the small detail” answer, and -1 for the “missed several parts” answer. Therefore you could get a worse percentile ranking compared to someone else and yet still have a higher rAw score than that person as you could get 25 out of 40 question correct, but have scored -1 on a the other 15 questions.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I'm convinced time is taken account for even though it says untimed i reckon they still compare candidates on timings. As i took my sweet time doing it maybe 45 mins or so? but this was because i was soo tired after the CAPP test which felt like 10 hours.
If this was the case, they would have to inform you in the instructions that the test is assessed by time but there is an unlimited amount of time to complete it. I suspect other considerations happen in this situation though.

lawtrainee

Esteemed Member
Oct 22, 2023
Hi guys, I just got my WG report for Linklaters Open Day and the result is not favourable (below 50%) - this is my first time doing the test and does anyone have tips on how to improve it?

I know Linklaters doest't allow us to retake WG - provided my low score, should I still apply for their vacation scheme?
Hey, did you need to email linklaters for your WG report?

wz_13

Distinguished Member
Jan 3, 2023
@Jessica Booker or anyone who may know something i was hoping you could shed some insight into this. I am considering self funding the sqe for the next intake, and am looking at the college of legal practice sqe llm course (as its the cheapest). But i dont want to compromise on price if firms would not take a course done online/remotely as they might do one that is done in person, like at BPP. In this way, does the provider of the SQE matter to firms, and can it disadvantage me later on? Many many thanks for any insights!

• ℹ️
Reactions: Bubbles

jl30

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2022
Hi, I did this last month! You have to answer three questions, and you have 15 seconds between reading the answer to having to record your answer which is up to a maximum of 45 seconds. You can't re-record your answers.
Hi! To the extent you are able to share, are the questions all strengths-based as stated on the website? I did the VI last year and I was asked firm-specific questions too. I also had 1 minute to answer the question instead of 45 seconds!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker or anyone who may know something i was hoping you could shed some insight into this. I am considering self funding the sqe for the next intake, and am looking at the college of legal practice sqe llm course (as its the cheapest). But i dont want to compromise on price if firms would not take a course done online/remotely as they might do one that is done in person, like at BPP. In this way, does the provider of the SQE matter to firms, and can it disadvantage me later on? Many many thanks for any insights!
Firms will not care which prep course you have done. They will only care about whether you have passed/failed the SQE. I don’t think there is any advantage or disadvantage when it comes to potential employers’ perceptions for any courses.

Reactions: Bubbles and wz_13
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.