• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirene

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 2, 2022
Anyone waiting to hear from DLA Piper after VI? I did mine last Saturday and they said they will get back in 7 days, I'm hoping I hear back today.. 🙏

If you haven't done the VI, I suggest that you think about skills you want to sell. also, there is time limit for prep which I didn't know about.. wasn't entirely clear to me 😅 I alwo panicked so I'm afraid I don't remember the specifics of the questions...

NW Law

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    Did you email them for your results?
    Yeah, I request them to help my development/get a rough idea how I’m doing. They replied about a day later providing the information. I think you know if you have failed the WG because like an hour or two later an automatic email goes out (I think!). But I’m sure you can ask if you’re interested to know!

tillywizz98

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 23, 2023
    Yeah, I request them to help my development/get a rough idea how I’m doing. They replied about a day later providing the information. I think you know if you have failed the WG because like an hour or two later an automatic email goes out (I think!). But I’m sure you can ask if you’re interested to know!
    Is this for Hogan Lovells? How do you know re: failing? I did mine last week and haven't heard back so would hope that means I haven't instantly failed..!

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Aug 18, 2022
    Is this for Hogan Lovells? How do you know re: failing? I did mine last week and haven't heard back so would hope that means I haven't instantly failed..!
    I wouldn't stress - I never received anything post WG when I applied for their TC at the start of this year. I was ultimately rejected, but I asked for the WG results and I far exceeded their pass mark (the pass mark is quite low like 13th percentile, and I got 89th or something) - so I guess I was rejected on other grounds. They will give you the WG results if you want.

tillywizz98

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 23, 2023
    I wouldn't stress - I never received anything post WG when I applied for their TC at the start of this year. I was ultimately rejected, but I asked for the WG results and I far exceeded their pass mark (the pass mark is quite low like 13th percentile, and I got 89th or something) - so I guess I was rejected on other grounds. They will give you the WG results if you want.
    Thank you - I have emailed anyway as I'm keen to improve!

NW Law

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    Yes - if you fail the WG I believe an automatic email goes out saying something akin to “having reviewed your test scores, we are sorry to say we will not be progressing you.” That’s been my experience in the past - I’m unsure if that has changed though!
    Is this for Spring or Winter?
    Sorry, should have stated! Winter.

Reactions: yasmars

Zi48

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 1, 2022
    i was doing a vi and my browser literally crashed on the last q, now it says my application has been sent off when I didn't even record the final question:(
    I would contact the firm and explain what happened, they might be able to reset it

If you have like a screenshot/pic from when it crashed that might help too

jplaw1010

Legendary Member
    Apr 11, 2023
    Hey everyone! Have you guys heard back from the following firms? (For the London WVS)

-Linkaters
    -Dechert post VI and written exercise
    -HL post WG
    -Shearman and Sterling
    -Cleary
    -Weil
    -Clifford Chance post successful WG

Thank you!
    Nothing from Links as of yet (post-tests), but I know some people have already received AC's for the WVS

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Has anyone applied for W&C open day, could you share how to approach "the reasons why you would like to attend an open day at White & Case"? Should I structure it like why commercial law, why W&C etc?
    Hey @emilyding, here are my tips:
    1. Divide your answer in three parts: what you think you can get out of the day in terms of understanding the nature of the work that the firm does; be exposed to the culture of the firm; get to know trainees, associates and partners and their journeys that brought them to the firm. This structure, in my opinion, is helpful as it allows you to express why you are interested in the firm and explain the benefits you would gain from attending in a way that does sound genuine and enthusiastic. When I was applying to open days/insight days last year, I used to utilise this structure all the time and I was always successful in my applications.
    2. Make sure to relate your reasons why you think the open day will benefit you to yourself and your interests in the legal profession. I personally believe that it is paramount to show that there is a connection between wanting to know more about the firm, its work, its lawyers and yourself, your values and your overall goals. This will be quintessential to make your answer personal to you and unique. Remember that a lot of people are applying to open days and the most important thing that you have to show is uniqueness in your application (other than the interest to the firm and its work of course).
    I hope these tips are helpful and good luck with the application!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    hi, i would like to ask if it would be an issue that i have not disclosed any information on failing the first sqe1 attempt on my application. if I were lucky enough to secure a tc/vs offer in which they do not allow sqe resits, would they revoke the offer?
    Hey @jlee01,

I honestly do not know if they would revoke the offer but I would say that it is important to be 100% transparent with law firms, so I would send an email to all the firms you have applied thus far letting them know this. This will ensure that you have been upfront and you did not hide the information from them. I am sure they will understand and you will not be penalised for this, but I would recommend to always be upfront with law firms. You do not want to be in the situation where they found out you did not disclose something that was of major importance to them. In conclusion, for your piece of mind, I would recommend disclose it as soon as possible by sending them an email.

Good luck with the application cycle!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.