• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 8, 2022
    And I Oop Whatcha Say GIF by Jasmine Masters

Wrote down in my tracker to apply to Goodwin before midnight, only to find out they closed it at 5:30

I really need to start doing apps the day before haha

BuddingLawyer

Distinguished Member
    Jul 10, 2023
    You will need to have passed the NY bar too (or other state bar exams). If you are a qualified lawyer in another jurisdiction you do not need to accumulate the two years of qualifying work experience. I don’t agree with it, but those are the rules!
    Wow. Didn't know this. Thank you so much. So, does qualification for ANY jurisdiction exempt you from QWE or only the USA ?

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Wow. Didn't know this. Thank you so much. So, does qualification for ANY jurisdiction exempt you from QWE or only the USA ?
    Pretty much any jurisdiction - there are some exemptions.

The thing to stress though is that this doesn’t make you more employable - if anything it could make it more tricky because you won’t need a TC (and there are some difficulties in referring to you as a trainee if you are qualified), but you won’t necessarily have the experience in the U.K. to compete for NQ roles.

The SQE was based partly on the test that foreign qualified lawyers had to take prior to the SQE, and it was always a little tricky for those who had qualified this way, so I don’t expect it to be any different unfortunately.

Bubbles

Legendary Member
    Jan 19, 2022
    Hi @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre ,
    I'm writing my application for Weightmans and they only have one question:
    What does 'See the Possibility' mean to you as a potential trainee, and how can it help our lawyers to deliver a high-quality service to our clients?' (500words)
    I'm struggling a bit with the structure for this.
    See the Possibility campaign embodies three core values. I am planning on talking about them and what they mean to me, but am I expected to give examples of when I have shown those values?
    Also struggling with how much focus should be given on the latter part of the question?

Any help would be appreciated!

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre ,
    I'm writing my application for Weightmans and they only have one question:
    What does 'See the Possibility' mean to you as a potential trainee, and how can it help our lawyers to deliver a high-quality service to our clients?' (500words)
    I'm struggling a bit with the structure for this.
    See the Possibility campaign embodies three core values. I am planning on talking about them and what they mean to me, but am I expected to give examples of when I have shown those values?
    Also struggling with how much focus should be given on the latter part of the question?

Any help would be appreciated!
    You don’t have to give examples of demonstrating those skills from your past, more how you feel you will embed those values into your work and career at the firm. This will then link nicely into how lawyers deliver their high quality service.

lawyerletsgo

Distinguished Member
    Nov 26, 2023
    @Jessica Booker Seems like an obvious question but I just want to check - if the question is “which personal qualities do you possess that make you think you would be a suitable trainee solicitor”

1) do you need to give examples of you using these qualities (word count is so small ahhh)
    2) suitable trainee tailored to the firm or suitable in general only?

I don’t want to risk answering the wrong question if that makes sense

Last edited:

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    How long do DLA Piper and CMS take to get back to candidates with VI invites, did DLA well over a fortnight ago, and CMS three days ago.

edit: did DLA and CMS WG Tests.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Seems like an obvious question but I just want to check - if the question is “which personal qualities do you possess that make you think you would be a suitable trainee solicitor”

1) do you need to give examples of you using these qualities (word count is so small ahhh)
    2) suitable trainee tailored to the firm or suitable in general only?

I don’t want to risk answering the wrong question if that makes sense
    I would try and tailor it more to the firm if you can.

If the word count is pretty short, you may want to reference rather than describe how you have demonstrated those qualities, especially if the evidence is detailed elsewhere in your application.

Reactions: lawyerletsgo

Aga123+

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2021
    Hi @Jessica Booker

I hope you can help with this: just realised that I accidentally put the wrong dates of a work experience on a vac scheme application (It was a three-month internship last year but it saved on the vantage system as 2023).

Do you think I email the firm or leave it until my application progresses?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker

I hope you can help with this: just realised that I accidentally put the wrong dates of a work experience on a vac scheme application (It was a three-month internship last year but it saved on the vantage system as 2023).

Do you think I email the firm or leave it until my application progresses?
    Is the period of time the same? Or is it presented that it was a year longer than it actually was?

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    If you're applying to a firm and haven't done their Forage programme but mention doing others, is that something that will count against you?

Just worried that a firm won't think I'm that invested in them as a first-choice if I'm completed six Forage programmes with other firms but not theirs. Any thoughts?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.