• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embo

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 13, 2020
Does anyone who’s had their in-person interview and presentation with V&E have any tips? I’ve only ever had one interview before and I’m super nervous

LawfulRust00

Legendary Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    If you make an error in a pre-employment screening form for a VS but swiftly reach out to the provider to rectify this, is this fine ie are providers generally flexible and understanding about this?

The provider is performing the checks on behalf of the firm.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    If you make an error in a pre-employment screening form for a VS but swiftly reach out to the provider to rectify this, is this fine ie are providers generally flexible and understanding about this?

This shouldn't be a huge deal - I've had screeners simply be unable to verify things (as an international man of mystery) and they've either dropped or just asked me to sign something attesting that it's true

• ℹ️
    Reactions: LawfulRust00 and Adrian_S

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

This is not an issue - mistakes happen.

If the mistake is made on your application and the details you send the the reference check company, they will probably want to understand why this mistake was made twice. The severity of the mistake (eg presenting a week’s) work experience as a year’s may cause more problems in these instances though.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Guys what do you usually ask to an associate of a firm where you want to apply to? I have the opportunity to have a chat tomorrow.

I don't mean to give you generic advice but I would just chat about something from the naturally flow of the conversation. You can begin by asking them what a typical day looks like for them, what attracted them to the firm, what their biggest challenges of working as a lawyer are, what makes the look forward to working at the firm- the list really is endless- and take it from there. if you have any specific questions that you think an Associate would be best placed to answer, you could go for them too.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    If anyone’s done the Vinson & Elkins interview and feels like they could help me out, I’d be grateful to chat. Never had an interview before and feel a bit nervous about what I’m getting myself into. Any help appreciated.
    Haven't done a V&E interview before but linking some of TCLA's posts to help you prep for interviews/ACs more generally.
    Let me know if this was useful. Wishing you the best!

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    There's a really great podcast episode on Spotify with BrightNetwork and Chris Stoakes (author of 'All You Need to Know About the City') called 'Thinking Commercially' where he breakdowns blockchain, NFTs and their implications on the legal sphere. The podcast is great on the whole to improve knowledge and stay up to date! I'll link it below:

Hope it's helpful!
    I will give this a listen! Thanks for the recommendation @sami.rehman 💪

• 🤝
    Reactions: sami.rehman

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    When it is the right moment to ask about salary? When I applied to Sky, I did not check on glassdoor (stupid me) thinking that it was an international company so..pays well. The reviews are miserable, can I ask the HR? I do not want to sound like a money chaser but I have a mortgage, I live in London and need to travel a lot so the travel expenses are likely to balloon.
    Hey @S87,

Yes! I think that this is absolutely a fair question. The only thing that I would suggest is that you prepare for this to be thrown back at you (i.e., "What salary are you expecting?" or "What would you like to be paid?"). It is always worth having an idea I think just in case you are asked this in an interview.

Hope that helps 😊

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    When it is the right moment to ask about salary? When I applied to Sky, I did not check on glassdoor (stupid me) thinking that it was an international company so..pays well. The reviews are miserable, can I ask the HR? I do not want to sound like a money chaser but I have a mortgage, I live in London and need to travel a lot so the travel expenses are likely to balloon.
    Not unreasonable to bring it up at interview - I had one interview recently where salary came up in the first 5 minutes and we called it a day cause their budget was a massive lowball compared to what was on the table for other roles I was in process for - it was good to not waste anyone's time.

When discussing salary, going off of what George has raised above, do try very hard to get a range from the recruiter before playing your hand. If they won't give you a range, pitch high - higher than what you'd actually be willing to accept for - and let them negotiate you down a bit. Do not give your own range, because the offer will often come in at or near the bottom end and your hands are a bit tied because they already know it's a figure you're prepared to accept.

That said, especially early career I think it's worth prioritising better roles over high pay.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Guys what do you usually ask to an associate of a firm where you want to apply to? I have the opportunity to have a chat tomorrow.
    What they do, why they do it, how they got there are all worth asking. As you go through the kind of boilerplate questions little bits will come up that you can follow into more detail to improve understanding and build rapport

• 🏆
    Reactions: AvniD and S87
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.