• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
is it possible to leverage another upcoming tc interview to hear back faster from another firm post ac? @Jessica Booker

the latter is my first choice which is why I kind of wanna know if ive gotten that or not before I start preparing for my second interview
I wouldn’t say an interview/assessment centre is, only really if you hold an offer that you can really ask for a process to be expedited.

Have the first choice firm given you an indication of when you will hear back? If not, you can always email them and ask when you will hear back and explain you have an upcoming assessment centre you would withdraw from if you did receive an offer. That is then not asking for the process to be sped up, but still referencing the fact you may have another option.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
might be a rlly silly q but I did a tc ac recently, they only give like 6 tcs and they told us we should hear back next week but someone already heard back this week w an offer, so do they usually space giving offers out or would it be possible they would've given all the offers out within that time frame (ac was on wed, then thurs and fri)? ik its only 6 tc places so cant be a lot of calls to make

@Jessica Booker would love to know your thoughts? im rlly overthinking it ahaha
There can be a range of reasons why someone is made an offer before others or why offers maybe staggered over a period of time. It is not uncommon for offers to be made across multiple days (or even weeks), and so I wouldn't make an assumptions as to why this is happening.

The offers calls are the quick and straight forward part of the process, but there's a whole load of considerations and work that need to go in before the calls can be made, and it is likely these things are leading to the staggered process.

hungry_for_TC

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 2, 2021
Amazing, thank you!!! Mine is just over 900 and I was worried that was too long
Mine was 1,033 - I think it's fine, they don't have a word count for a reason and as long as you're not fluffing it up gratuitously it's OK! Remember other firms have like 3-5 questions they want you to answer in 300 words. 300x3 = 900, so you're essentially giving them the same amount of text they would get if they asked you a bunch of questions vs. asking for a cover letter if that makes sense!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Can someone explain very simply the difference between competency and behavioural questions?
They are effectively the same thing - they should both be asking you to provide past examples of how you have demonstrated a skill or behaviour. Behavioural questions maybe more about attitude rather than skill though (e.g. determination is a behaviour but time management is a skill/competency).

I would expect both type of questions to be best answered with a STAR/CAR format of answering.

Some employers do use different terminology though and I have seen more situational questions (theoretical/hypothetical situations you may experience in the role) be used and described as behavioural questions.

Reactions: jmak

jmak

Star Member
May 12, 2024
They are effectively the same thing - they should both be asking you to provide past examples of how you have demonstrated a skill or behaviour. Behavioural questions maybe more about attitude rather than skill though (e.g. determination is a behaviour but time management is a skill/competency).

I would expect both type of questions to be best answered with a STAR/CAR format of answering.

Some employers do use different terminology though and I have seen more situational questions (theoretical/hypothetical situations you may experience in the role) be used and described as behavioural questions.
Thank you very much for this insight Jessica!

legal_student2024

May 7, 2024
does anyone have any advice regarding how to access AC feedback? i completed an AC two months ago and was not successful. during the day the firm promised expressly to send through feedback for unsuccessful candidates.

nothing came through so i emailed their grad recruitment email - and have subsequently followed up with no success. i’d really like to access this for obvious reasons so if anyone has any insights will be very grateful!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
does anyone have any advice regarding how to access AC feedback? i completed an AC two months ago and was not successful. during the day the firm promised expressly to send through feedback for unsuccessful candidates.

nothing came through so i emailed their grad recruitment email - and have subsequently followed up with no success. i’d really like to access this for obvious reasons so if anyone has any insights will be very grateful!
This post maybe helpful.

I always stress that before putting in the SAR contact them one last time and explain you will seek a SAR but you would prefer if the feedback can be provided to you without you having to submit one. This usually will trigger most feedback requests being met as it’s a significant amount of work for a SAR compared to providing the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.