• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks Jess - do I need to provide a lot of detail in the phone call?
No - you just need to be prepared for them to ask which firm you will be joining and/or what might have made you select that firm over them. You don’t have to provide them with this information up front, but they may ask you.

Reactions: starbright

CP2000

Star Member
Mar 4, 2024
No - you just need to be prepared for them to ask which firm you will be joining and/or what might have made you select that firm over them. You don’t have to provide them with this information up front, but they may ask you.
Is there any chance the firm could cause issues when reneging the offer? Or is there no benefit for them to do so?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is there any chance the firm could cause issues when reneging the offer? Or is there no benefit for them to do so?
it’s technically breach of contract and so they could pursue you for that.

But the reality is there is no value in them doing so. They can find a replacement at little/no additional cost to them and the process of seeking costs from you would be far too time consuming and costly for them compared to any value they could ever get from you. It’s why employers don’t do this. About 8% of law graduate offers are reneged each year, and all that happens is they renege - they move on and so does the firm they reneged on.

• 🤝
Reactions: CP2000

jhboub

Standard Member
  • Feb 10, 2024
    re final offers: do they have to fill in the spaces? what if the candidate rejects the offer? im assuming they will give it to the next candidate but ive also been told everyone will find out if they got it on the same day..

CP2000

Star Member
    Mar 4, 2024
    it’s technically breach of contract and so they could pursue you for that.

But the reality is there is no value in them doing so. They can find a replacement at little/no additional cost to them and the process of seeking costs from you would be far too time consuming and costly for them compared to any value they could ever get from you. It’s why employers don’t do this. About 8% of law graduate offers are reneged each year, and all that happens is they renege - they move on and so does the firm they reneged on.
    Thank you Jessica, that’s reassuring

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    re final offers: do they have to fill in the spaces? what if the candidate rejects the offer? im assuming they will give it to the next candidate but ive also been told everyone will find out if they got it on the same day..
    No - they don’t have to fill all the spaces. Because of the time lag it’s easy for them to make later offers, even in the next cycle if needed. But some firms operate reserve candidate lists or keep candidates on hold while they wait back to hear from candidates accepting or declining.

Reactions: jhboub

mdoeslaw

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 9, 2023
    might be a rlly silly q but I did a tc ac recently, they only give like 6 tcs and they told us we should hear back next week but someone already heard back this week w an offer, so do they usually space giving offers out or would it be possible they would've given all the offers out within that time frame (ac was on wed, then thurs and fri)? ik its only 6 tc places so cant be a lot of calls to make

@Jessica Booker would love to know your thoughts? im rlly overthinking it ahaha

leaaa2023

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 27, 2023
    Hi all and @Jessica Booker; White & Case say they recruit 80% of trainees from their VS. I am wondering if I should apply to direct TC route or just wait til applications open up for VSs in October. I am a career changer, have 5+ years as a paralegal, and attending a Russell Group uni; but am wondering if I should wait and potentially increase my chances.. That would give me time to attend more events with W&C and increase my chances by just applying to the VS in October. Because if I rush and apply now and get rejected, that could likely affect my chances of getting a VS?
    Thoughts? thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all and @Jessica Booker; White & Case say they recruit 80% of trainees from their VS. I am wondering if I should apply to direct TC route or just wait til applications open up for VSs in October. I am a career changer, have 5+ years as a paralegal, and attending a Russell Group uni; but am wondering if I should wait and potentially increase my chances.. That would give me time to attend more events with W&C and increase my chances by just applying to the VS in October. Because if I rush and apply now and get rejected, that could likely affect my chances of getting a VS?
    Thoughts? thanks!
    You could wait, but that will then be for a later recruitment cycle (most likely starting in 2027/2028 rather than 2026/27. So a big question would be if you are willing to wait that additional year?

I am also not sure what the firm's reapplying policy is. If it is that you can apply once per recruitment cycle, then you could apply now and then in the Autumn (and I don't think there is any disadvantage if that is the case). It is only if you can only reapply within a period of time (say 6-12 months) then it would potentially be worthwhile waiting.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.