• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gday33

Distinguished Member
Apr 21, 2024
I have not applied, still doing my research on them. Not sure if they are one of those firms that put out direct TC route but actually does not recruit from it
I applied months ago and have heard nothing - it may be they’re non-rolling or perhaps they just don’t PFO people, who knows! Always worth a go if you have time to apply.

AlexJ

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    when firms do pre employment checks, do you send your transcripts to them or do they ask your uni directly? I have an admin issue with mine so didnt want it to look like i was lying
    If you went to a UK uni they tend to ask the uni direct, there is a system that gives them access to results

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker on the BDB Pitmans website it says BDB Pitmans has an application period open for TCs ending at end of July. Is this outdated info? It seems to be contrary to the information I received from the email nack in May.
    Yes - the website is in the process of being updated. The 2026 recruitment cycle will start in about 8-9 months time as the firm moves to a Graduate Solicitor Apprenticeship model of training where you do the SQE during your training contract.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    when firms do pre employment checks, do you send your transcripts to them or do they ask your uni directly? I have an admin issue with mine so didnt want it to look like i was lying
    They will usually go directly to your academic institute or when employment references, directly to the company to reduce the risk of reference fraud.

lawyerletsgo

Distinguished Member
    Nov 26, 2023
    They will usually go directly to your academic institute or when employment references, directly to the company to reduce the risk of reference fraud.
    ahh oh no - I have emailed to explain the issue I had and all i can do now is hope that they understand and appreciate I reached out well before this could even become an issue. scared i've unintentionally ruined my whole chance with that firm as i was doing really well with progressing through their stages

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    ahh oh no - I have emailed to explain the issue I had and all i can do now is hope that they understand and appreciate I reached out well before this could even become an issue. scared i've unintentionally ruined my whole chance with that firm as i was doing really well with progressing through their stages
    Unlikely to be the case. There are always exceptions and sometimes other evidence will be sought from the candidate directly because the reference has not replied. But in the first instance, they will contact the university directly. They have probably contacted the university many hundreds (possibly thousands of times) before.

Reactions: lawyerletsgo

Lawlawlaw2

Jun 21, 2024
    Hi @Jessica Booker Hope you are well! Just wanted to ask you whether they contact NGOs you have volunteered at once they conduct their background check or only employers. I have volunteered in 6 and was wondering whether they will check with each or if I have to provide them with a paper that attests that I have in fact volunteered there myself. Thanks a lot!

PSharon

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 16, 2023

Lian Lian

Distinguished Member
    Feb 2, 2021
    Reactions: PSharon

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker Hope you are well! Just wanted to ask you whether they contact NGOs you have volunteered at once they conduct their background check or only employers. I have volunteered in 6 and was wondering whether they will check with each or if I have to provide them with a paper that attests that I have in fact volunteered there myself. Thanks a lot!
    If it’s put in as employment, they may still try to track down such references and will want to try and go to the organisation first rather than via you for proof if they do.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.