• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petallove1

Legendary Member
Feb 8, 2023
3 pfos in one day - starting to feel crap lol

what options r there for someone who might not land a TC in his 2nd year at uni?? im going into third year now
To be fair I think it takes something like an avg of 3 applications cycles to secure a TC. As much as it’s frustrating, I don’t think it’s the end of the world to get to third year or even graduate uni without getting a TC. I graduated two years ago and am still applying, but that gave me the opportunity to gain more legal work experience which firms do value and it’s got me much further through the application process. It’s great if you can get one when you’re at uni, but defo don’t put that pressure on yourself!! Ultimately in the grand scheme of things the average age to qualify as a solicitor is late 20s, so you’re still way ahead of the trend

evianmineral

Star Member
Premium Member
  • Mar 12, 2024

what options r there for someone who might not land a TC in his 2nd year at uni?? im going into third year now
    as commenter above mentioned, average age of qualification is late 20s/early 30s

you are incredibly young and have a lot of chances, no point in giving up now

you will get loads more pfos its not an indicator of your ability, this is to some degree all based on luck; people get 1-3 TC offers max anyway

people i know with TCs range in age from 21-29 - some got it first time some have been trying for years and persevered. there's little difference in getting one at 21 or 25 etc anyway the important thing is to just focus on getting one.

make yourself as attractive a candidate as possible, think about meeting firm reps/going to events, extracurriculars etc - between each cycle try to improve yourself and build on your successes.

Mxxb

Apr 11, 2024

You just need a little patience- I completed an insight scheme (not a VS) at HSF back when I thought I wanted to be a corporate lawyer and the trainee there started her TC at 29.

I know another solicitor who started her TC at Mishcon when she was 31.

You have the option to target a smaller firm but the reality is that not all TCs are made equally. If you really want to train at a high flying firm, it’s up to you to decide if it’s worth waiting for

I graduated without a TC and got my dream
    Firm this year.

Best thing you can do now is get some legal work experience (or any other kind of work experience, but try to get work experience in a professional role)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I would stress the majority of people will not secure a TC in their second year of uni. This is very normal! Your options are still the same - keep plugging away with applications and look for opportunities to continue to develop your skill set and knowledge.

Reactions: AlexJ

therealslimshady

Star Member
    Feb 27, 2024
    I was recently rejected for a legal role.

One of the feedback points was that at the end of the video call interview after everyone said goodbye, I ended the call straight away and that this came across as abrupt.

Is there a certain etiquette that needs to be followed when ending a video call? I have always thought that it is normal to hang up after everyone says goodbye.

LegalLordLox

Legendary Member
    Jan 3, 2021
    Has anyone heard back from Browne Jacobson? one of the AC's is 2 weeks and
    I was recently rejected for a legal role.

One of the feedback points was that at the end of the video call interview after everyone said goodbye, I ended the call straight away and that this came across as abrupt.

Is there a certain etiquette that needs to be followed when ending a video call? I have always thought that it is normal to hang up after everyone says goodbye.
    I guess it can be seen the same as a face-face setting.

Imagine someone saying bye to you in person and you just walk away?

Lesson learned.

Reactions: therealslimshady
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.