• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

norothrow324

Legendary Member
Apr 11, 2023
I was recently rejected for a legal role.

One of the feedback points was that at the end of the video call interview after everyone said goodbye, I ended the call straight away and that this came across as abrupt.

Is there a certain etiquette that needs to be followed when ending a video call? I have always thought that it is normal to hang up after everyone says goodbye.
I work as counsel abroad and whilst there is no rule, there is a certain gap you leave between saying goodbye and clicking on the end call button. This doesnt have to be long but a second and a smile actually makes a bit of a difference than just hanging up right away. Sounds silly, I know, but it can make a difference in terms of perception...

Reactions: therealslimshady

desperateTCseeker1998

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2023
anyone heard from TLT or BCLP?
People have had BCLP rejections (although possibly only automatic ones for failing the test) but not seen anyone progress - they apparently take 30-40% through the direct TC route so I’m sure they’ll take at least SOME people from it this year so genuinely one of the only ones where I’m not taking the silence as a bad sign

TC seeker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2023
    Not Jessica, but just in my opinion, it depends on the firm - though I wouldn't say in any case its a "great disadvantage". Some firms (like Freshfields) do recruit a fairly large proportion from direct TCs, and these candidates are not disadvantaged compared to the VS counterparts, especially because I'm fairly sure that their VS is only available for those who are penultimate years. Some other firms also advertise that both routes are equally viable and it is totally up to you which you prefer. But for other firms (tend to be the US firms/smaller trainee intakes) the direct TC is not as prevalent a route, and there are apparently a few firms who filled up their TC spots with VS students and closed their TC route. That said, I wouldn't say that they start behind or are greatly disadvantaged, if the application is still open, there will be people they recruit through this route!
    So Freshfields have same number of intake through VS and TC? Is it possible to secure Freshfields' TC even if I haven't done a vacation scheme before?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.