• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    It depends on the context here - have you learnt from multiple trainees (if so you can go with the latter)? or if it is just off the basis of one trainee, then naming them is okay.
    Sorry for all the Slaughters questions...

Having already outlined all of my education from GCSEs up to postgrad, I'm guessing I can remove this section from my CV?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    • Love
    Reactions: sxw517

ab01

Star Member
  • Jan 23, 2021
    Hi - @Jessica Booker

I have recently been rejected from a U.S. law firm following their VS. I have also completed 2 internships previously, one at an international law firm and another at a U.S. law firm.

Considering the above, do you suggest I should apply to direct TCs now? Or still consider the VS route?

Thank you 😊

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hi @Jessica Booker is it normal to receive an offer or rejection on the same day one was interviewed?
    yes, it is rare but it happens, I applied to Gibson Dunn on the 20/12/22 at 10 in the morning and received an interview invite the same day at 5pm. The second interview happened on the 27/01/2023 and I got the vacation scheme offer an hour after the interview so it is possible but I would not think too much about it. Different firms have different procedures and different things they look at. I hope my experience helps you, good luck with your application cycle this year! @Lawyerwithadream

ab01

Star Member
  • Jan 23, 2021
    Hi - @Jessica Booker

I have recently been rejected from a U.S. law firm following their VS. I have also completed 2 internships previously, one at an international law firm and another at a U.S. law firm.

Considering the above, do you suggest I should apply to direct TCs now? Or still consider the VS route?

Thank you 😊
    Hi @axelbeugre - would you be able to assist me here? :)

Reactions: axelbeugre

sophie98

Feb 15, 2021
    Hi @axelbeugre - would you be able to assist me here? :)
    I think due to the number of firms that prioritise hiring from Vac schemes it’s always worth applying to them if you can! I was rejected from direct tc routes and received emails saying they had filled all spots from vac schemes several times. My current firm advised if I wanted a direct tc I should apply for the vac scheme then ask to be considered for direct tc (I know several people who have done this). If I were you, for each firm I would consider if they’re known to recruit heavily from vac schemes or not - and then choose accordingly! (Hope that’s helpful)

• Love
    Reactions: ab01 and axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Weil VI invite, would appreciate any advice!! :)
    Congratulations! I would say for VI it is important to:

- Treat it like a real interview so dress smart-casual, neutral background, focus on looking at the camera and try to be as natural as possible.
    - Have a cheat sheet with the values of the companies and the reasons why you are applying to the firms so you can relate all your answers back to these main points which will make you stand out.
    - Be personable and be yourself throughout!

I hope that these tips help!
    Good luck with it!
    @NMA

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    I think due to the number of firms that prioritise hiring from Vac schemes it’s always worth applying to them if you can! I was rejected from direct tc routes and received emails saying they had filled all spots from vac schemes several times. My current firm advised if I wanted a direct tc I should apply for the vac scheme then ask to be considered for direct tc (I know several people who have done this). If I were you, for each firm I would consider if they’re known to recruit heavily from vac schemes or not - and then choose accordingly! (Hope that’s helpful)
    That's exactly what I would have said, thank you so much @sophie98, i think this is such a great piece of advice! @ab01 I personally believe it depends on the firms you are applying to but if you think of the fact that vacation schemes are easier to get than training contracts, then it is clear that you should still give them a good go! Good luck with it!

• Love
    Reactions: ab01 and sophie98

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Direct TC offer 🥳 I was a paralegal for two years after graduating and was starting to lose hope in securing a tc without completing a vac scheme - If anyone needs advice, feel free to send a message!
    Amazing news - congratulations!

Academy Awards Yes GIF by Shalita Grant

Reactions: sophie98

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi - @Jessica Booker

Thank you 😊
    I think it depends on the firm and how heavily they recruit from VS. There will be some firms you probably still want to apply for VS where they recruit exclusively or pretty much exclusively from VS, but with other firms it may make sense just to apply for direct TCs

• Love
    Reactions: ab01

ab01

Star Member
  • Jan 23, 2021
    Thank you so much for that! I’ll take that on board :)

ab01

Star Member
  • Jan 23, 2021
    I think it depends on the firm and how heavily they recruit from VS. There will be some firms you probably still want to apply for VS where they recruit exclusively or pretty much exclusively from VS, but with other firms it may make sense just to apply for direct TCs
    Thanks Jessica! I’ll definitely factor this in when looking at firms to apply to!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.