• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamsroseaya

Jan 12, 2024
I found it a bit tricky, to be honest. It was mainly competence-based questions, and I prepared more for motivation-type questions. Good luck, I hope yours goes better than mine did!
Thank you so much. So sorry you felt it didn’t go as planned, fingers crossed! Did it give you set time to prepare or was it the usual 30 seconds and starts recording?

starbright

Distinguished Member
Dec 18, 2021
Yes - you can do this. You are obviously in breach of contract, but a firm isn't going to seek some form of compensation for you doing so, because there is little to no value in them doing so. They will just back fill your role.

Just be mindful that the moment you even start onboarding processes for the LPC/GDL/SQE, you maybe making a financial commitment to the firm (even if you haven't started the course). So that will typically be the point in which I recommend people make a decision to either commit or renege on a firm.
That makes sense! Thank you so much!

Lsc9013

Jan 29, 2024
Anyone heard back from Shoosmiths? Even though the email gives a date of 10 June, I thought they would have started the PFO's and AC offers this week.
Someone said last year that they didn’t let them know until the deadline given.

I’m a paralegal at Shoosmiths, and last week they had the solicitor apprenticeship assessment centre so Emerging Talent will be busy with that right now.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica, I’m struggling on what approach to take when asking for work in other departments on a vac scheme. Do I just reach out to the individuals I’m interested in doing work for if I have nothing on my plate (without asking for approval) or do I first ask my supervisor/ trainee buddy if there’s any work and if there isn’t, if it would be okay for me to reach out to the individual in the other department?
I would always ask your supervisor first - going off and working for another department without asking is rarely a good idea, as for all you know your department may have something to give you. I think it also risks you not showing an interest in the team you are allocated to.

Instead of asking for work from another department, you can just arrange a coffee catch up at the start/end of the day or close to lunchtime. You don't have to work for other departments either - there is not an expectation for you to do this unless you are in a firm that is known for this approach where trainees are not really allocated to a department and have to find their own work.

Jazlaw

Premium Member
Dec 29, 2021
Hi all. I applied for a September 2025 TC role and have been offered a TC commencing September 2026. Although I'm really pleased by this, the wait is longer than I would like (I have completed my LPC and am currently a paralegal). Do you think its worth it to ask if I can start earlier or is there no point? I don't want to come across as ungrateful. Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all. I applied for a September 2025 TC role and have been offered a TC commencing September 2026. Although I'm really pleased by this, the wait is longer than I would like (I have completed my LPC and am currently a paralegal). Do you think it’s worth it to ask if I can start earlier or is there no point? I don't want to come across as ungrateful. Thank you!
There is no harm in asking. I suspect if you applied for a 2025 opportunity but have been given 2026, they have already taken this into consideration, but there is absolutely no issue with asking if there are any opportunities to start earlier. The worst that is going to happen is that they say no, but that puts you in no different a position than you are in now.

PlscanIhaveaTC

Star Member
Oct 1, 2020
I applied to a few firms in Jan/Feb for their direct TC and haven’t heard anything back. Not sure whether to email or wait until after the vac schemes have finished :/

Edit: waiting to hear from HFW and WFW btw. Has anyone heard from them?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.