• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmak

Star Member
May 12, 2024
Is it worth me applying for a Freshfields and White and Case Direct TC if I have never done a vacation scheme and have no prior work experience in law.
I received a 1st class at university and I have a lot of work experience having worked full time whilst studying but I just feel like even though they say experience in law is not required it is not necessarily the case.
TC's are generally for people who have experience working or have done vac schemes. I think apply for them if you have had a lot of exposure to the firm's (via vac scheme or events) or have worked (career changer or graduate).

RiverJules

Star Member
Feb 16, 2024
I have done a tremendous amount of aptitude tests at this stage, being successful more often than not; however, that GLD verbal reasoning test was brutal. The time limits felt vicious.
Oh no that sucks!! Hope it went better than you think :) I haven't done it yet, quite nervous now... were the questions at least the standard style you can find on practice tests?

desperateTCseeker1998

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2023
I think it's really poor that so many firms aren't opening their direct TC routes this year despite advertising that the route was available. Attending a vac scheme is not possible for certain demographics and this severely impedes access, plus some people may have relied on making an application through the direct route so didn't apply for VS. Just think it's so poor and doesn't even serve the firm as they may miss out on incredible applicants. Idk it feels like the system is set up in so many ways so only the privileged can succeed and this really isn't helping, especially when they say they will open them and then don't because it makes you feel like you have a chance and then it just gets ripped away from you

bangarangbass39

Legendary Member
Sep 13, 2023
I think it's really poor that so many firms aren't opening their direct TC routes this year despite advertising that the route was available. Attending a vac scheme is not possible for certain demographics and this severely impedes access, plus some people may have relied on making an application through the direct route so didn't apply for VS. Just think it's so poor and doesn't even serve the firm as they may miss out on incredible applicants. Idk it feels like the system is set up in so many ways so only the privileged can succeed and this really isn't helping, especially when they say they will open them and then don't because it makes you feel like you have a chance and then it just gets ripped away from you
Which firms have reneged on providing direct TC when usually have?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
is it safe to assume that applications close at 11:59pm on the deadline day if it doesn't say elsewhere on the website what time it closes?
I don’t think it’s safe to assume - we do know some firms close at the close of business on the day stated and won’t make that clear in their marketing materials.

However, I would say in 95% of cases it is a 23.59 deadline on the date stated.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I’ve been offered a TC with a firm and I’m over the moon! But I have an upcoming VS with another firm and I prefer that firm more. In my TC contract there is no mention of the possibility of reneging. I just wanted to check if this is a term usually included in the contact or not?
There typically won’t be a term about reneging unless you are accepting funding and then there could be a term about paying back and costs associated with sponsorship of law school fees or maintenance grants.

Reactions: starbright

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Oh I see, thank you Jess! Does this mean I could sign the TC and then renege if I get an offer from the second firm?
Yes - you can do this. You are obviously in breach of contract, but a firm isn't going to seek some form of compensation for you doing so, because there is little to no value in them doing so. They will just back fill your role.

Just be mindful that the moment you even start onboarding processes for the LPC/GDL/SQE, you maybe making a financial commitment to the firm (even if you haven't started the course). So that will typically be the point in which I recommend people make a decision to either commit or renege on a firm.

Reactions: starbright
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.