Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I received a 2024 training contract offer in early March, which I accepted. I haven’t received the contract or any other related documentation yet. I have chased once or twice, as it was mentioned that I would have it by now. Should I be concerned?
I don't think you need to be concerned. I would just contact your point of contact in HR/Graduate Recruitment and ask when you could expect a written offer to be sent to you.

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
Sep 13, 2023
Hi, I'm thinking of applying for a training contract for a law firm. I'm wondering if this is a good idea considering my limited legal experience. Perhaps it's better that I wait for more legal work experience or next year for a vacation scheme?

I have done bar work for two years during university, mentoring and tutoring for over a year, and I'm currently a researcher volunteer for an education NGO. Just to clarify I ahve graduated with an MA in a non law degree.

In terms of legal work experience, I have completed a two week legal internship which was essentially like a vacation scheme. I also have an a week long insight/internship scheme coming up in the summer and I'm awaiting feedback for two internships this summer that will also last a week. I'm confident that one of the interviews went well.

I realise because I haven't done a formal vacation scheme there is a bit uncertainty about my experience, however from speaking to grad rec, vac schemers, etc at the places I completed work at, many of them have said that what I have completed should be communicated like I completed a vacation scheme because of the length scheme and series of tasks that I completed. I will be applying for a different law firm that I haven't completed a vacation scheme for. I know time is not an important factor, it is the work that you have completed, insight you have gained and how you communicate that. But I have noticed that the internship I completed is longer than the vac scheme that the firm I am applying for offers. Also, it's very likely that I will have more experience by the time summer comes. Should I hedge my bets or wait for more legal work to come in to apply for their TC/Graduate Solicitor Apprenticeship?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I just got a TC offer from a firm, but have a VS with another firm lined up for the summer. Ideally I would like to accept the TC and also complete the VS. Any ideas how to navigate this conversation with the firm I have a TC offer from? @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre
Does your TC or VS offers have any terms in them that stop you from doing the scheme if you have accepted the TC?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, I'm thinking of applying for a training contract for a law firm. I'm wondering if this is a good idea considering my limited legal experience. Perhaps it's better that I wait for more legal work experience or next year for a vacation scheme?

I have done bar work for two years during university, mentoring and tutoring for over a year, and I'm currently a researcher volunteer for an education NGO. Just to clarify I ahve graduated with an MA in a non law degree.

In terms of legal work experience, I have completed a two week legal internship which was essentially like a vacation scheme. I also have an a week long insight/internship scheme coming up in the summer and I'm awaiting feedback for two internships this summer that will also last a week. I'm confident that one of the interviews went well.

I realise because I haven't done a formal vacation scheme there is a bit uncertainty about my experience, however from speaking to grad rec, vac schemers, etc at the places I completed work at, many of them have said that what I have completed should be communicated like I completed a vacation scheme because of the length scheme and series of tasks that I completed. I will be applying for a different law firm that I haven't completed a vacation scheme for. I know time is not an important factor, it is the work that you have completed, insight you have gained and how you communicate that. But I have noticed that the internship I completed is longer than the vac scheme that the firm I am applying for offers. Also, it's very likely that I will have more experience by the time summer comes. Should I hedge my bets or wait for more legal work to come in to apply for their TC/Graduate Solicitor Apprenticeship?
There is not really any difference between a legal internship and a vacation scheme apart from the name. It sounds like you have enough legal experience and a lot of non legal work experience and so I would say you should have no hesitations in applying for TC/Graduate Solicitor Apprenticeships

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.