Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, I hope you are enjoying your Sunday.

I am answering 'Why am I interested in pursuing a legal career in the city?'. Should I mention the kind of work and the international appeal? can I also state that I have established my life here in London?

Additionally, there is another question asking why I would like to participate in B.U.I.L.D @ Shearman. What should I consider when answering why a specific scheme?

Thank you in advance.
For the second question, yes - you should ensure the answer is tailored specifically to that programme/opportunity.

For the first question, it really depends on what is important to you. For some people it’s not really the international aspect that appeals. I don’t think you really have to go into detail as to why you want to live in London, especially if you have ties to the city already. I would ensure your answer takes about what the long-term career in London will provide to you that maybe other opportunities outside of the city would not.

Reactions: AS24

AS24

Apr 16, 2024
For the second question, yes - you should ensure the answer is tailored specifically to that programme/opportunity.

For the first question, it really depends on what is important to you. For some people it’s not really the international aspect that appeals. I don’t think you really have to go into detail as to why you want to live in London, especially if you have ties to the city already. I would ensure your answer takes about what the long-term career in London will provide to you that maybe other opportunities outside of the city would not.
Thank you so much @Jessica Booker

random6035

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 21, 2024
Is it standard practice to ask a firm for a paralegal role in the meantime if they offer you a TC starting in 2026/27? How/when would you go about doing this -- after all the contracts have been signed or to ask when they first give you the TC offer? @Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is it standard practice to ask a firm for a paralegal role in the meantime if they offer you a TC starting in 2026/27? How/when would you go about doing this -- after all the contracts have been signed or to ask when they first give you the TC offer? @Jessica Booker
You can ask for them to keep you in mind for any vacancies that may come up before you start (assuming you don’t have to complete the SQE before your TC starts). There are absolutely no guarantees they can give you a role though, but they can keep you in mind if anything suitable comes up. You can mention this at any time - but if you are going to accept the TC it makes sense to just wait until you have accepted the TC offer in writing.

spamelinazoid

Legendary Member
  • Dec 19, 2021
    How do people handle situations where you cant attend an AC day? Due to e.g. a pre-planned vacation that cannot be moved (plane and train tickets, hotels ect)

Does GradRec usually accommodate requests to move an AC or is that likely to piss them off?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    How do people handle situations where you cant attend an AC day? Due to e.g. a pre-planned vacation that cannot be moved (plane and train tickets, hotels ect)

Does GradRec usually accommodate requests to move an AC or is that likely to piss them off?
    It’s not going to piss them off - the worst that is going to happen is they don’t have any other availability for alternative dates. But you are not going to anger them by asking in case they do have alternatives.

Reactions: spamelinazoid

LawfulRust00

Legendary Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    I received a 2024 training contract offer in early March, which I accepted. I haven’t received the contract or any other related documentation yet. I have chased once or twice, as it was mentioned that I would have it by now. Should I be concerned?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.