• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    I also just completed the game for Gowling... I also felt like I didn't do well, for some reason the score was not mentioned in my feedback report, but at the end of the game, it said I got around 7400 which I think is quite low... My aptitude score was average.
    I’ve read on the Arctic Shores FAQ that the score you get at the end of the game doesn’t count for anything and it’s more the behaviours they assess during the game that the firm will look at!

NadineBusty

Valued Member
    Aug 21, 2019
    I also just completed the game for Gowling... I also felt like I didn't do well, for some reason the score was not mentioned in my feedback report, but at the end of the game, it said I got around 7400 which I think is quite low... My aptitude score was average.

What is the aptitude/reasoning part like?
    Is it a verbal/numerical or logical test?

jam1999

Star Member
    Feb 24, 2020
    @Jessica Booker @Jaysen

For this Q: 'We are looking for ambitious and well-motivated individuals who have a real commitment to the law. What are your three key personal motivations to undertake a training contract at Irwin Mitchell?'
    Do you think this is more a 'why law' question or a 'why this firm' question? To me, it seems like a mix of the two so I am not sure how to structure my answer!

jam1999

Star Member
    Feb 24, 2020
    Anyone got any tips for how to handle this Q?
    'You are collaborating on an urgent project which is due to be completed in five days. You haven’t worked with these colleagues before and everyone has different ideas on how the project should run. Conversations are getting quite heated. How would you move this forward whilst ensuring everyone remains engaged and feels valued?'
    Any advice would be a huge help!
    @Jessica Booker @Alice G @Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker @Jaysen

For this Q: 'We are looking for ambitious and well-motivated individuals who have a real commitment to the law. What are your three key personal motivations to undertake a training contract at Irwin Mitchell?'
    Do you think this is more a 'why law' question or a 'why this firm' question? To me, it seems like a mix of the two so I am not sure how to structure my answer!

to me this is a why the firm question

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Anyone got any tips for how to handle this Q?
    'You are collaborating on an urgent project which is due to be completed in five days. You haven’t worked with these colleagues before and everyone has different ideas on how the project should run. Conversations are getting quite heated. How would you move this forward whilst ensuring everyone remains engaged and feels valued?'
    Any advice would be a huge help!
    @Jessica Booker @Alice G @Jaysen

It’s not a trick question - it’s just trying to find out how you would deal with a situation like this. Just think about how you would normally work to bring people together that have opposing views to ensure success.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    do you think it’s a question worth bringing in my own examples from work etc ?
    I personally wouldn't for this question as you will be tight on words as it is. Try to research situational judgement questions to get a better feel for this type of question. You will want to try and structure the response in a logical order as to what you would do and don't be afraid to say things like 'if this didn't diffuse the situation, then I would try X' - there isn't a right or wrong answer here they are just trying to see how you are as a person in certain situations.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    do you think it’s a question worth bringing in my own examples from work etc ?

As Alice has suggested, I don’t think you really have the word count to do this thoroughly. It could work but only with very light references to how you have taken the approach in the past. You’ll need to make sure you are definitely answering the question rather than providing past examples.

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    For Reed Smith's question of 'current issues', is it okay to talk about one issue or should we talk about at least 2? The word count is only 300 words and it's a 'research' question, I feel like I cannot delve into two with 150 words each, but also it specifically says 'issues' and not 'issue'

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For Reed Smith's question of 'current issues', is it okay to talk about one issue or should we talk about at least 2? The word count is only 300 words and it's a 'research' question, I feel like I cannot delve into two with 150 words each, but also it specifically says 'issues' and not 'issue'

what’s the full question?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What current issues do you think have an impact on the legal profession? What is their impact and why?

I think it depends on what the issue is. If it is multifaceted then it would be fine to focus on one issue and explain multiple impacts.

D

Deleted member 2707

I was wondering what the consensus is regarding using the same example for 2 application questions?

For example, I talked about my experience as President of my law society for the question 'what skills could you bring to the role of a trainee solicitor' but I am keen on using this example for the question of 'what roles of responsibilities have you held?'. I'm planning to use another aspect of what I did as President for the second question but just wanted to get some thoughts regarding reusing examples like this!

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    I was wondering what the consensus is regarding using the same example for 2 application questions?

For example, I talked about my experience as President of my law society for the question 'what skills could you bring to the role of a trainee solicitor' but I am keen on using this example for the question of 'what roles of responsibilities have you held?'. I'm planning to use another aspect of what I did as President for the second question but just wanted to get some thoughts regarding reusing examples like this!

I've done this before for app forms that have loads of different questions and got through ok but if I have to I just try to really distinguish the second example as you're already doing :) it also seems like youre focusing on multiple things for those questions and will be talking about things you didn't do as president too so it's not like you're repeating yourself. Also, in terms of the roles/responsibilities question the firm would be expecting you to put 'President of x law society' down as a position of responsibility if you've already mentioned it! I don't think youre really reusing that much :)

Ricky

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018

I talked about two. One in more detail than the other. I did the same last year and got to AC.

Reactions: NadineBusty
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.