• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayC

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Jan 8, 2021
Could I ask people don't say things like '(this firm) has finished all ACs' without any authority. It kind of stresses people out for no reason!
I didn't mean to stress anyone out, but they said as much at my AC, and that everyone would find out final results of vac scheme places by the end of this week. Was trying to prevent people from unduly getting their hopes up but I'm sorry if it had the wrong effect!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you for the advice, Jessica! I would have called them already if I could, but unfortunately, Ashurst's GR doesn't provide a phone number (I can't find it anywhere). I have little choice but to email them or use their online enquiry form to get to them. Perhaps I will try emailing any member of Ashurst's GR directly (rather than through their common GR email inbox) instead. But thank you anyway, I really appreciate it! 😀
Try and save a number of one of the team’s signatures when they do reply back!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you, that's really helpful. I recently completed the SST for Kennedys and my understanding was that the feedback format is always three strengths/one weakness regardless of how well candidates perform against one another.
That is often the format.

With this situation it might be that there are some absolute “no” outcomes for the weakness, which will make someone unsuccessful. That might only be 2-3 of a 10-12 list of strengths. It maybe the case that you are also unsuccessful if you haven’t got balance across your three strengths. For instance, if all three of your strengths suggest you are more independent than a team player (or vice versa). It’s hard to know the specifics, but as I mentioned, in successful candidates it is often the things that are not there, rather than the things that are.

LS12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    Just out of interest - when would firms release information about the vacation schemes they are choosing to host next cycle? I’m conscious this hasn’t been a normal year so it’s likely there will be changes

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    I didn't mean to stress anyone out, but they said as much at my AC, and that everyone would find out final results of vac scheme places by the end of this week. Was trying to prevent people from unduly getting their hopes up but I'm sorry if it had the wrong effect!
    When was your AC? I’m a bit confused why they haven’t sent out rejections to everyone else who applied if they’d finished all their scheduled ACs

Reactions: Luiz1001 and Staples

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Just out of interest - when would firms release information about the vacation schemes they are choosing to host next cycle? I’m conscious this hasn’t been a normal year so it’s likely there will be changes
    In the 2021-22 academic year? Probably as late as August/September 2021, just before they start their marketing/events again

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    A comment that starts off with "Ok, let's shut you down..." isn't rude or at the very least abrasive? And the personal attacks about how the user's perspective is "limited" or "biased" or that maybe they're not that good at assessing quality? Hm.

I'm not actually calling for a change in moderation or a removal of the upvotes, more of a change in consistency in how some users react to rudeness when it comes from someone they know and like as opposed to someone they don't! I was referring to the 'tone police' (i.e. people who feel the need to berate one user on their perceived rudeness but not another) and how they're pretty inconsistent when it comes to calling out the regulars vs the newbies/outcasts. You can put it down to human nature and whatnot but it's still dodgy ;)

I agree with the rest of your post, but let's not pretend that it's all subjective and that tone is in the eye of the beholder. Whisperingrock clearly lost their calm in how they replied to you and LegalNim clearly got offended or irked in response to them.

In any case this wasn't a point I was planning on have blow up into (another) full blown debate - more of an observation from someone who doesn't post here often. I'll call out any particularly egregious double standards if I see them in the future (I hope I won't! I like TCLA)
    To be explicitly clear, they used the term "shut me down", I used it back in response. I did not initiate the use of that phraseology. And you've conveniently cut the full phrase to a point where it looks substantially ruder than it was. Whisperingrock was complaining that their comment had been shut down (their wording) without due consideration or a valid counter argument. I responded that I'd shut down their comment with substantial consideration and multiple counter arguments.
    Secondly, their knowledge is limited and biased. That's an objective fact. I stated in my response that my own experience is also limited and biased, the difference between us is that I'm not projecting my limited and biased opinion as a universal truth.
    And it is a clear, legitimate possibility that they aren't good as assessing the quality of other people's essays. Why is it somehow rude or insulting to question whether it's possible that they're fallible in some way?

I'm sorry if I offended you in any way - it was not my intention. However, the ability to determine objective fact from opinion based upon limited data is a basic skill required by lawyers. As is the ability to consider our own flaws and the implications of that.

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    When was your AC? I’m a bit confused why they haven’t sent out rejections to everyone else who applied if they’d finished all their scheduled ACs
    I think a lot of firms wait to reject everyone all together at the end (annoying, I know). My AC was last Thursday. It is conceivable they have a wait-list AC or something, but they made it pretty clear last Wednesday and Thursday were the ACs from which they were choosing their vac schemers. I'll let you know if I hear any new information

MI

Standard Member
    Aug 27, 2020
    Thank you so much - this is really helpful! I'm glad that the interviews are not taking place this week - it gives me more time to try and get in contact with them. I wish you all the best of luck with your AC and hopefully, we can see each other on a VS! 😀
    That's OK! I hope you hear from them soon and best of luck with your AC also.

• 🤝
    Reactions: tkhkat

topsawyer

Nov 12, 2020
    What a week!! I crashed my car but then also got a Hogan Lovells summer vac offer and a HSF summer vac offer this week, double whammy! Also HSF are one of the fastest firms for AC results I've come across, 30 minutes after the AC got a call and 1 hour later had the offer letter, wow! If you're prepping for HL or HSF and have questions, dm me, I'll try my best to help!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.