TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Does anyone know what the “pass” mark is for WG? Lowkey hate them. Highkey actually.
@Jessica Booker will have a more informed view on this, but from what I know it varies from firm by firm. I know some firms simply use a percentile system, in which your progression depends on how you perform relative to the scores of the other applicants. Anecdotally, percentile benchmarks vary between the 50th to 80th percentile.

However, other firms are said to have an per-determined numerical score as a pass mark. In these cases, what this pass score is depends on the specifics of the test (number and difficulty of questions) and also the specific recruitment policies each firm decides to apply in a given application cycle.

Finally, some firms have no pass mark at all and will simply review your application and WG performance holistically.

Reactions: Ram Sabaratnam
@Jessica Booker will have a more informed view on this, but from what I know it varies from firm by firm. I know some firms simply use a percentile system, in which your progression depends on how you perform relative to the scores of the other applicants. Anecdotally, percentile benchmarks vary between the 50th to 80th percentile.

However, other firms are said to have an per-determined numerical score as a pass mark. In these cases, what this pass score is depends on the specifics of the test (number and difficulty of questions) and also the specific recruitment policies each firm decides to apply in a given application cycle.

Finally, some firms have no pass mark at all and will simply review your application and WG performance holistically.
This is so helpful thank you.

Reactions: Andrei Radu

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

This gets even more complicated as firms use different groups to assess candidates against which create different percentile rankings, and also some firms weight different sections of the WG assessment differently.

I have seen percentile ranking benchmark be as low as 16th and the highest er was about 72nd. It is exceptionally rare for them to be above this because there are typically risks associated with diversity of hires if you put it much above that.

In short though, it means that no matter what your score from one WG result you can’t assume you will get a similar result on the next assessment (and that’s whether you are successful or not). Try not to get too hung up on failing a couple of WG assessments as it does not necessarily mean you would be unsuccessful in the next. Similarly don’t be surprised if you always pass the WG and then seem to randomly fail one.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Andrei Radu and Ram Sabaratnam

KSV

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2019
The Covington application asks:

Why would you like to pursue a career as a solicitor at Covington, and how do you see yourself contributing to the firm’s success? 300 words

Is it okay to break down my answer by first answering why commercial law, then why Covington, and how I see myself contributing to the firm’s success?

Do my reasons for commercial law need to be explicitly tied to Covington throughout the answer, or can I answer it part by part?

Any tips would be super appreciated!!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.