TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Izzy1026

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 23, 2023
    For those that have done the Dechert written task, did you receive an email confirmation after you submitted? I only had a bubble popping up on my screen saying "your output has been saved and submitted", but the timer wouldn't stop and I also am not redirected to a different page? Is that normal lol pls help

KBanana

Premium Member
    Mar 10, 2023
    Could anyone who has struggled with SJTs and managed to get successful at them offer any insights on how they did it?

This is my 4th application cycle and I typically pass the application stage when there is no SJT involved, but whenever there is an SJT at any stage of the process, I always get rejected. I paid for many practice tests and usually score between 80-90% (selecting them based on the specific providers used by each firm). However, when it comes to the real tests I always fail, even though I account for the different values each firm has. I have not passed a single SJT in the past 3 years, and at this point, I do not know what I am doing wrong.

I know I should instead focus on firms that do not have an SJT in their recruitment process, but many of them do. It's really frustrating that I will have to overlook firms I have a genuine interest in due to this weakness of mine that, despite my efforts, I can't seem to improve...

My only remaining theory is that I choose too many 'extreme' options. For example, if a statement says, 'I proactively ask for feedback,’ I’ll pick ‘strongly agree’ because that’s true to me. I read somewhere that test providers could flag individuals who choose these extreme options too often as giving false answers/ being unrealistic - could this be the issue?

I would greatly appreciate any insights on this - thank you!

lawyersum

Star Member
    Jun 28, 2024
    Could anyone who has struggled with SJTs and managed to get successful at them offer any insights on how they did it?

This is my 4th application cycle and I typically pass the application stage when there is no SJT involved, but whenever there is an SJT at any stage of the process, I always get rejected. I paid for many practice tests and usually score between 80-90% (selecting them based on the specific providers used by each firm). However, when it comes to the real tests I always fail, even though I account for the different values each firm has. I have not passed a single SJT in the past 3 years, and at this point, I do not know what I am doing wrong.

I know I should instead focus on firms that do not have an SJT in their recruitment process, but many of them do. It's really frustrating that I will have to overlook firms I have a genuine interest in due to this weakness of mine that, despite my efforts, I can't seem to improve...

My only remaining theory is that I choose too many 'extreme' options. For example, if a statement says, 'I proactively ask for feedback,’ I’ll pick ‘strongly agree’ because that’s true to me. I read somewhere that test providers could flag individuals who choose these extreme options too often as giving false answers/ being unrealistic - could this be the issue?

I would greatly appreciate any insights on this - thank you!
    Completely understand where you’re coming from. It’s gotten to the point for me where I am actively trying to prioritise firms who do not have any SJT tests. Despite doing all the research and taking into account the firm’s values, I always score low. Would also really appreciate anyone’s insights on how to succeed.

s9111

Valued Member
    Aug 17, 2023
    For those that have done the Dechert written task, did you receive an email confirmation after you submitted? I only had a bubble popping up on my screen saying "your output has been saved and submitted", but the timer wouldn't stop and I also am not redirected to a different page? Is that normal lol pls help

No, I didn’t receive an email confirmation and the same thing happened to me. So I presume that is standard, and we are fine!

Reactions: Izzy1026

Walon290

Oct 14, 2024
    Hey @m12 and @Walon290! While I don't have any details from this year, I did their VI last year. Based on my general VI experience as applied to the specific W&C VI, these would be my tips:
    • Prepare really well for the big 3 (Why commercial law, Why W&C, Why me) and a few of the other very common questions (such as about a new story you have been following and its impact on the firm). These will form the basis for the questions.
    • Also, prepare for variations of the big 3 - instead of just 'Why W&C' and 'Why commercial law' independently, you could be asked both questions at the same time - 'Tell us about why do you want to be a commercial solicitor at W&C'.
    • Try to get to a point where you can, on the spot, answer both the independent questions and the broader combinations of questions in 1 minute, 1.5 minute, and 2 minute timeframes. Then record yourself and assess your performance. The more you do this, the more will you improve your flexibility to answer different variations of questions in varying timeframes.
    • Prepare for some less common/curveball type of questions. There's no way of predicting what more unique questions W&C may go for this year, but in the past they have had at least one question that was slightly unusual. The best you can prepare for that is by improving your ability to think of the spot and flexibility in how you can refer to your experiences.
    • Do not overcommit when you first start answering a question. This was by far the biggest issue for me last year. I would try to be structured and signpost, so I would start my answer by saying 'I will give you three/four reasons why ...'. However, midway through articulating my answer I would realise I did not have enough time to comprehensively state what I indented to. Thus, I would have to sacrifice either on the quality of my explanations or just not talk through everything I said I would, neither of which is a good look. As such, when in doubt, go for less rather than more. Your purpose should not be to blow away the recruiters, but to simply communicate good substantive points in a clear, concise, and composed manner.

Thanks a lot for the comprehensive post I really appreciate it :)

Reactions: Andrei Radu

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.